Thousand Lakes fishing

Servehim

Very Active Member
I drew a muzzy deer tag and planning a scouting trip. I will be taking my canoe with trolling motor, hoping someone might steer me into a good small lake to fish . Any pointers on where to park my RV that would provide a hub to scout deer country. I hunted the unit several years back and focused on the south end of unit. Thanks guys

I’ve heard that the Thousand Lake mountain and the Boulder mountain accidentally had their names switched back in the day when the a cartographer was surveying the area. That’s why the Boulder has a ton of lakes.... and the “Thousand Lake” mountain has only a couple small lakes.

That being said... the Fishlake and Boulder mountains are your best bet.

Thanks guys, as always the MM faithful come through. First trip up will be next month. Appreciate the help.

Make sure to wear a life jacket. You fall in the water and there’s not going to be a messiah to get you out.

Good luck!

I drew a muzzy deer tag and planning a scouting trip. I will be taking my canoe with trolling motor, hoping someone might steer me into a good small lake to fish . Any pointers on where to park my RV that would provide a hub to scout deer country. I hunted the unit several years back and focused on the south end of unit. Thanks guys
Hey me too

There are several lakes on Thousand Lake mountain you can fish. Snow lake and Deep Creek lake are not hard to access. There are distributed campsites on the main gravel road that access the mountain. I don't see any reason to camp or to fish on a different mountain than your scouting.

I would camp up the gravel road towards Elkhorn campground near the top or right at Hogan's pass. The lakes I would hit are round lake and deepcreek. They are near the elkhorn campground.

Forsythe would be perfect for your canoe. You can catch some nice Tiger trout in there.

If you want to fill a 5 gallon bucket with perch go fish the weed line at Fishlake. It's about a 1/2 hour from the camp spots I suggested

Heading up on Tuesday, any updates on good fishing venues/ lures / bait ...whats working now ? Plan to set up at or near Elkhorn campground and trailer atv to spots to explore for my muzzy deer end of September. I will say Thank you in advance for any words of wisdom. I killed a decent 4x5 on the southern end of PTL in 2016 just north of Torrey, stumbled on that buck the first morning so not a lot of time in the woods scouting . Is the low country an option on these early muzzy hunts .

Go high ! It's hot down low ! Find some shade for the afternoon up in Sheep valley or Seven mile road!

Thanks guys, I so appreciate the help from the MM faithful.
Go high ! It's hot down low ! Find some shade for the afternoon up in Sheep valley or Seven mile road!
Thanks, what I'm hungry for is wisdom on where deer will be in late September/ early October. In country I'm familiar with, I often find bigger bucks living in lower areas with less pressure. Anybody that can save me time and miles I'd appreciate your help. Muchas Gracias Jim

This is a different year. I think you will see that when you get up there. The water in the lakes is starting off low instead of going low in the fall. The grass is already starting to yellow. Small creeks are already dry. By the time your hunt rolls around the only feed will be in the fields around the towns where it is irrigated ! We have never seen it this bad in our lifetimes ! You are going to have to adapt to conditions. They are excepting the lower reservoirs to go dry. They have doubled the limit of trout you can take out of them. Pray for rain ! I have been on the mountain every weekend since May except for one. We have been clear our land around the cabin to make a defenseable space in case of fire! Most years we just burn it on our land. But we have been afraid to start a fire this year . Be careful with fire and your cars in the grass! It’s scary!
B903F35A-0040-439F-B698-2B02D579D481.png

Last edited:
What a beautiful area !!! Learning curve has begun. Seeing a few does and fawns . Heading to Round lake tomorrow AM to fish then heading south midday tomorrow to explore more area. Found a great campsite with gorgeous views of Capitol Reef . BigJohnT, got a small shower today, lets hope and pray the drought will be relieved.

A full day !!!! Limited out on trout and 45 rough miles on the atv. The GWT east of Elk Horn CG down south to Torrey must have 1 million 8"+ boulders on it. Lol. Had fun but beat us up a bit .

Must not be in the right spot, dont remember seeing any WLH signs . Going to head west this afternoon to see what access is like to get to the foothills area above the hay fields near Loa.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom