THREE deadheads?

heyoldguy

The three bulls on the tri-stand are deadheads from the same area. The condition of the skeletons seem to indicate they died last fall. Maybe wounded that got away?

The bull on the single stand is my son's he got this year with a recurve bow, wooden arrow and a homemade broad head. After the shot the bull ran about 100 yards and piled up dead.

54627elkdeadheads002.jpg

80425elkdeadheads004.jpg

That front one is a REALLY good Bull.
Sweet setup.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Thanks.

I'm quite pleased with his ethics. He practiced out to 40 yards with the recurve and came to his own conclusion that he was deadly out to 25 yds, so that would be his limit.

This was our 4th trip this year and we had split up to cover different areas this time. He had gotten with 40-60 yds on several bulls and the 40 yrd one was a nice 7x7. Not able to close any further he backed off that bull and decided he had enough for now and would just antler hunt for awhile.

He picked up a 6pt elk shed, a 5pt shed, a 4pt buck dead head and a goat skull. He thought he would head to my camp and check on me when he saw the next bull at about 75 yds. He and the bull closed on each other until he was 25 yds away, when, the bull facing him, looked directly at him, and then went back to feeding.

My son figured that all the skulls and antlers on his backpack broke up his outline enough that the bull didn't see anything dangerous. When the bull turned and quartered slightly away, the kid (46 yr old kid) let the arrow fly.

He boned, bagged it and hung it, then came and got me. He packed 1/2 a boned elk 3 miles to my camp while I carried a 1/4. We hung the two 1/4s he carried to camp I rested for an hour and then started the the 6 miles to the truck while he went back to the kill and got the last quarter and headed for the truck. He caught up with me about two miles from the truck and we went the last part together.

The following day a friend and my son went back and they each packed out a 1/4 so the 71 yr old wouldn't maybe kill himself. I did leave later and meet them about 3 miles from the truck with my empty pack if someone need some relief. But they were wearing their big boy panties and finished the journey without my assistance.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-19 AT 08:51AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-19 AT 08:46?AM (MST)

There are wolves in the area.

There appeared to be a great slaughter of elk by wolves when the wolves were first re-introduced. I think the elk have learned how to more effectively deal with the wolves now and the herds are increasing. Once again there are enough elk around that I have no problem sharing some of them with the wolves.

This has got me thinking about something. We find more bull dead-heads, bull skulls capped or with the antlers cut off, than cow skulls. I still think these dead-heads are from lousy long shots by rifle or bow.

Two young men hunting in the area told my son that their fathers told them not to shoot any farther than they were willing to go look for a blood trail if the animal didn't drop.

One of them shot at a buck with a 300 magnum and the animal just walked away out of their sight. They waited 10 minutes and walked over to where the buck was standing and looked for blood. Blood....lots of it...and internal organ. The deer was dead a short distance away but he looked unhurt as he walked off.

How many hunters are too lazy to look for blood when the animal walks off as if unhurt after their shot of 600-1000 yards?

Ya mean I gotta go down the side of this canyon and up the other side? Naw he wasn't hurt. Lets go find another one.

Wolves? I betting bad hunters.

We found a FOURTH elk dead head from last year. This one was in a dry desert-like sagebrush canyon maybe 20 miles from the other three. It was a 4x3 that had a deformed skull. The antler left the skull horizontally above the right eye socket and then turned upwards to look somewhat normal.

I agree most likely crappy hunters. Idaho residents love wounding and wasting...;)

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

I liked the story about your son he is a true archery hunter..not too many fred bear types in the woods these days..congrats to him

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom