thunder chicken...literally

mozey

Long Time Member
It's no secret that I'm the world's worst turkey hunter. The five days that I've spent turkey hunting this year have been one gobbler after another fleeing my turkey calls.

I've often heard fellow hunters refer to these sinister fowl as "thunder chickens" but it never occurred to me that it was because they gobble back at the thunder. Yet that was exactly what this particular bird was doing during a rainless lighting & thunder storm when I first heard him about a mile away. He kept at it for about 40 minutes, allowing me to stalk within 20 yards of him while using the thunder to mask my sound. Forget trying to call these buggers in anymore--from now on I'll be praying for thunder... ;-)

87742015_turkey.jpg

9" beard.

You might be on to something mozey , get a patent on a thunder turkey call and retire . In Texas they have calls that sound like the motor of a turkey feeder . Congrats that's a nice bird !

I think it was the blue face mask. Did not even buy a tag this year for turkey. Could not stand the humiliation.
Zach did kill one during his last youth turkey hunt. Run and gun method.

They will gobble at many loud sounds... thunder,sirens from police cars,even had one gobble at honking the horn on the truck. There brain is the size of a pea.. Congrats on your bird.
Jack

Nice, congrats! Whatever works!

We had a crazy bird this weekend roosted in a skinny pine tree literally growing on the shoulder of the road. He must have gobbled 20 times as we drove by under him right after dark. We even stopped to look at him and he would gobble at us and never flew out of the tree. Turkeys can do strange things sometimes. lol

Travis

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom