Tick tock when will the draws post

I would guess we still have 2 weeks. Bear results weren't really that fast this spring. But I could be wrong, last year was July 1 and I believe the year before was around June 20. Best of luck everyone!

I dont give a Crap when they draw !! Just hoping that my 22 years in a row streak of getting the Go F myself from Idaho F&G Gets BROKE !!!
Didn’t you just draw something like 3 years ago. I’m not gonna go back and find the thread but I know others have in the past

Cycle of the Idaho draw system

1. Apply for the best units in the state
2. Complain about how long the draw results take
3. Complain when you don't draw the tag you applied for with a 1-5% chance of drawing
4. Complain online and on social media about how Idaho needs a points system and you are owed that tag after X years of applying
5. Repeat the following year

Didn’t you just draw something like 3 years ago. I’m not gonna go back and find the thread but I know others have in the past
Damn I wish !! Me & my youngest son neither of us have drawn an Idaho tag since 2000 !!! We drew Lope unit 39 in 2000 My middle son drew 18 late buck & the bull tag 3 or 4 years ago !! That is probably what your referring to

Idaho basically conducts two draws for the same species 6 months apart. It's ridiculous. The "OTC" tags are now legitimately a draw. They need to implement NV's system with 5 choices and squared bonus points and lump OTC and controlled into one. It would work way better. I'm talking for nonresidents only.

Get rid of "controlled hunts" all together. They'd just be normal hunts that are harder to draw. NV doesn't have "controlled hunts". That term doesn't even make sense. Every hunt is "controlled" by tag limits and regulations.

Every western state should be consulting with Nevada on how they should conduct their draws. They aren't perfect, but they run the tightest ship by far.

Last edited:
Idaho basically conducts two draws for the same species 6 months apart. It's ridiculous. The "OTC" tags are now legitimately a draw. They need to implement NV's system with 5 choices and squared bonus points and lump OTC and controlled into one. It would work way better. I'm talking for nonresidents only.

Get rid of "controlled hunts" all together. They'd just be normal hunts that are harder to draw. NV doesn't have "controlled hunts". That term doesn't even make sense. Every hunt is "controlled" by tag limits and regulations.

Every western state should be consulting with Nevada on how they should conduct their draws. They aren't perfect, but they run the tightest ship by far.
Idaho needs to do nothing, much less cater to the demands of nonresidents. If you don't like it, quit applying.

Idaho needs to do nothing, much less cater to the demands of nonresidents. If you don't like it, quit applying.
Yes they do, and yes they do. IDFG commissioners care more about NR revenue than residents. Why wouldn't they streamline a process that's clunky and broken? Hunting is a business. Being a resident doesn't mean you're special. It just means you're lucky to get cheaper tags and more hunting. As a NR I have as much say what happens on NF or BLM land as you do.

Yes they do, and yes they do. IDFG commissioners care more about NR revenue than residents. Why wouldn't they streamline a process that's clunky and broken? Hunting is a business. Being a resident doesn't mean you're special. It just means you're lucky to get cheaper tags and more hunting. As a NR I have as much say what happens on NF or BLM land as you do.
Call ID F&G and tell them your grand plan on how to run the state. Report back after they politely tell you to have a nice day.

LOL! no you don't. if that were the case why are game departments run by the state? silly. non resident, take what your given or go else where. same applies to me in your state

As far as “streamlining the process” goes they have the demand of all the non residents playing their game. In their eyes it works.

As far as NF and BLM lands, that’s an entirely different issue than the game on the land. Each state is responsible for managing the animals how they see fit.

Hell no.

Isn’t it funny that all the people that don’t live in Idaho want to change how Idaho works. Mind your own business folks. Don’t like it, move along
Couldn't agree more! With that being said though we are selling our California home for a profit and moving to Idaho. :ROFLMAO: (already checked my car registration will be under$100, compared to $700 for my new truck. heck yes! win win!

I’m a resident and don’t want a point system, but I’m also pretty sure the way they do the nonresident “waiting room” elk tag thing in December is the stupidest thing known to man. Who in their right mind thought that picking a business day at 10a for thousands of people to get a number and wait in a virtual line and hope their computer network doesn’t die and which also doesn’t allow a father and son to get a tag together was a good idea is just a moron.

I’m a resident and don’t want a point system, but I’m also pretty sure the way they do the nonresident “waiting room” elk tag thing in December is the stupidest thing known to man. Who in their right mind thought that picking a business day at 10a for thousands of people to get a number and wait in a virtual line and hope their computer network doesn’t die and which also doesn’t allow a father and son to get a tag together was a good idea is just a moron.
Who cares? If they don't like it, they don't have to participate. There's a few states that I don't apply in because I don't like the odds or the way they do things. Nobody is forcing NR to do anything, they're choosing to participate in the process and then crying about the choice they made.

Couldn't agree more! With that being said though we are selling our California home for a profit and moving to Idaho. :ROFLMAO: (already checked my car registration will be under$100, compared to $700 for my new truck. heck yes! win win!
You and everyone else, Utah and Idaho have grown like crazy. Sad

Who cares? If they don't like it, they don't have to participate. There's a few states that I don't apply in because I don't like the odds or the way they do things. Nobody is forcing NR to do anything, they're choosing to participate in the process and then crying about the choice they made.

Weiser, what States do you not apply in because of draw odds and the way they do things?

So when will the draw's be posted. I have had my hunting party all draw tags at some point in the last ten years (3-4 of us), a couple more than once, and one guy has drawn three. All of these except one are under 3-4%. Im glad they draw becuase I get to tag along, but I'm ready to be the trigger man on one of these hunts. Is Idaho perfect, no. I am thankful for the opportunity I get to hunt though, beautiful country and the OTC is better than 90% of any hunt that I can get in my home state. Don't change Idaho, please!!

Let's get back to where we were fellas'. When will I find out, I can't handle this purgatory!! IDFG says early July... Will it be earlier??

Yeah it does! As the resident population explodes you cannot continue to operate the same every thing as 40 years ago! The non resident quota hasn’t changed in 30 plus years yet the resident hunters is 20x greater.

Yup and that needs to change. It’s not fair to many people. Lots cannot be online trying to get a tag at 10am during the week. They need to make it draw and anything underdrawn will be first come first serve after draw.

Yeah it does! As the resident population explodes you cannot continue to operate the same every thing as 40 years ago! The non resident quota hasn’t changed in 30 plus years yet the resident hunters is 20x greater.
I would be all for slashing the non res tags by half or better

I would be all for slashing the non res tags by half or better
which doesnt fix much of anything and the resident population continues to grow. The ratio of NR to R hunters 30 years ago isnt even close today. You cut half the NR tags and in 2 years that many of R hunters will occupy those same tags. Units need to be managed and its coming mark my words in 5 years IDFG will do something to resident pressure its coming.

As long as people are bailing out of California with pocket loads of cash, they will be exploiting neighboring states. Utah used to be a nice place to live too, but it’s nothing but smog, traffic and lots of new building .

Lmao. I don't even know where to begin. Is this a parody account?
Answers like these are analogous to how governments think. And it's the complete opposite of how any successful businessman thinks.

I don't get how people think they "own" the entire state they live in. These same dudes are usually anti gov't Republicans that ***** about everything F&G does (some justly so) and here they are defending their local, corrupt governmental bodies that in reality DO NOT care about them AT ALL rather than defend fellow hunters in general because we live across an imaginary line. It's same braniacs that have a "come and take it" sticker next to a "blue lives matter" sticker on their truck.

Last edited:
it's the complete opposite of how any successful businessman thinks.
Are you under the impression that .Gov is a successful business?

The simple truth is that Idaho F&G is going to do whatever the farmers and ranchers persuade them to do. They don't care what you or I have to say and they prove it every chance they get.

Are you under the impression that .Gov is a successful business?

The simple truth is that Idaho F&G is going to do whatever the farmers and ranchers persuade them to do. They don't care what you or I have to say and they prove it every chance they get.
No, and you residents are the ones defending them and what they do and getting mad at non residents who also complain about them. You don't see the irony?

I'm not mad at NR at all, I understand their frustration and I'm plenty frustrated about certain issues myself.

But here's the kicker, F&G doesn't care. It doesn't pay to whine about any of it because it's not going to change any time soon. When it has changed in the past and when it changes in the future it'll be based on farmers and ranchers input, not sportsman. If you don't have elk eating your crops then you don't exist except as a revenue source, I don't have crops therefore I'm also just a revenue source to them.

I don't defend their actions, I'm just a realist and don't complain about something that I have no imput on. I've been to the local meetings and trust me, they don't give a crap about the average hunter, it's all about keeping the ranchers and farmers happy and figuring out how to make more money to pay for crop damage.

I'm not mad at NR at all, I understand their frustration and I'm plenty frustrated about certain issues myself.

But here's the kicker, F&G doesn't care. It doesn't pay to whine about any of it because it's not going to change any time soon. When it has changed in the past and when it changes in the future it'll be based on farmers and ranchers input, not sportsman. If you don't have elk eating your crops then you don't exist except as a revenue source, I don't have crops therefore I'm also just a revenue source to them.

I don't defend their actions, I'm just a realist and don't complain about something that I have no imput on. I've been to the local meetings and trust me, they don't give a crap about the average hunter, it's all about keeping the ranchers and farmers happy and figuring out how to make more money to pay for crop damage.
The Farm Bureau controls the strings, and has for along time, when they say dance, the F&G dances!!

Here's a classic example. A few years back a farmer in unit 45 was paid over a million bucks because the elk damaged his hop crop. What should have happened was, you don't get the money until you let X number of hunters on your property to harvest these elk. But NO.

Really farm/ranch issues is only thing F&G worries about? You sound ignorant when you make statements like that over and over. We get it you don’t like the influence they have in the department. RMEF had article years ago stating that Utah could have same number of elk as Colorado based on there habitat. The limiting factor is tolerance for private land depredation. People in different states think, act, and have different priorities. F&G can’t just give them the finger and tell them Elk first!

F&G told me to my face that their #1 priority was to reduce crop damage caused by elk. Must be ignorance on my part.
There is a difference between saying that they do whatever farmers and ranchers want and that they want to reduce crop damage. If I had to pay a large portion of my budget to others due to damage, I would also be trying to reduce said damage. That’s just common sense

F&G told me to my face that their #1 priority was to reduce crop damage caused by elk. Must be ignorance on my part.
Every meeting they have doesn’t start with crop damage, every project, every survey, every management plan, every budget doesn’t revolve around farmers and ranchers. Things could better here and they could be a lot worse! Credit were credit is due. It’s a forum criticism is Inevitable and to be expected. I apologize for “ignorant “.

Funny this is the first year I can remember not even caring when they come out. Maybe I’m getting old and patient, or maybe it’s because I put in for tags I have no chance at drawing so it’s not real exciting waiting to see not drawn..,

Yeah, I am not as stressed as normal because my family has already had such good luck this year that I will be busy helping my son and wife with OIL tags, but if they choose to give me one more I will figure out a way to make it work!

I call Bull **** on the crop damage lets look at units 31 & 32 just for Shits & Giggles !! So Fish & NO Game started to issue these so called Landowner tags many many years ago to try & reduce property & crop damage !! They issue more tags now than they did way back & the size of the herds have been Majorly reduced. I had a couple of these tags a few years back, the landowners I had talked to & had permission from to hunt, had NOT seen or had ANY elk on their land all year long?? Yet these guys were getting a bunch of LO Tags every year !! WHY NO elk should be NO tags Right ? But after talking to them thru the years, the real reason was the elk were eating the same grasses & ETC as their cows were, and they dont like that. There are No crops being harvested in these areas in Nov thru Feb !! Also the areas these elk are in between Nov & Feb is pretty much sage brush & winter range !! Hell several of the LOs that get tags dont even have Crops in the area the tag is good for ? WTF ??

AZ will hit cards Tuesday. ID needs to post so I can get my vacation requests in, I work with about 90 percent dudes and about 1/3 of them hunt. Last ones for me anyway. I did moose again because I love disappointment, but my hunting partner did deer elk pronghorn. Come on with it !!!

AZ will hit cards Tuesday. ID needs to post so I can get my vacation requests in, I work with about 90 percent dudes and about 1/3 of them hunt. Last ones for me anyway. I did moose again because I love disappointment, but my hunting partner did deer elk pronghorn. Come on with it !!!
What makes you think AZ will start charging cards on Tuesday?

Answers like these are analogous to how governments think. And it's the complete opposite of how any successful businessman thinks.

I don't get how people think they "own" the entire state they live in. These same dudes are usually anti gov't Republicans that ***** about everything F&G does (some justly so) and here they are defending their local, corrupt governmental bodies that in reality DO NOT care about them AT ALL rather than defend fellow hunters in general because we live across an imaginary line. It's same braniacs that have a "come and take it" sticker next to a "blue lives matter" sticker on their truck.
I think we've had this argument with you about several other states now. Once again, game management is a STATES issue period. There is massive precedence for this and it is settled. If you understood the founding of our nation at all, you would know that state borders are not imaginary at all but represent the boundaries of united, but individual sovereign states. As a NR, you are nothing more than a visiting revenue source, period. Don't like it, don't play.

Either way, no one in any state but your own cares about your opinion, concerns, etc. Your dollars are your only 'vote'. When you are afforded the 'privilege' of hunting as a NR, you are a fortunate guest and should act accordingly and be grateful for the generosity of the residents who are willing to share their resources with you.

Another newsflash......NR hunting is not essential in many western states like Idaho, Utah, and Nevada. I guarantee resident hunters would be more than glad to make up the revenue difference to have the additional opportunity. I know I would pay NR fees without a single complaint to hunt my own state more often.---SS

Thank you for being so open about your Mental Illness! ❤️

So much hate, we are all hunters who love the same sport. Who cares if your a non-resident or not, all money is green and all sportsman support hunting by buying license and contributing to the cause. If you make enemies and push people out of this sport we will loose it forever and no one will get to hunt. It’s our money that keeps this going and it’s our job to keep this sport alive for future generations to come. Us hunters have every right to hunt where we choose. Let’s hope most true sportsman understand this and reiterate this to their children and grandchildren. Its the people that choose to me ignorant and selfish that will ruin this sport for everyone.

No it’s not but it is ran by money, if you don’t want non-residents to hunt your state than residents better get ready to pay to make up for non-residents share. Don’t think your state is out for you and will just leave your costs the same. They will raise your cost to make up ours. Good luck paying 1200 for an elk tag and 700 for a deer tag. Think most people will quite the sport of hunting and pick up golf. It’s simple economics, they cut non-residents out the state isn’t going to just eat that revenue loss. It’s going to be up to residents to pay. The end result is deer and elk herds will suffer due to lack of funding to support conservation. Another point is there are a lot of rich donors that donate to sheep foundation and other organizations that will stop donating if they have no chance at getting a tag. That will cripple the herds and won’t help anyone or any ground we might have been making through the years.

Not saying they are now, but going to have to triple to make up revenue loss. Other states are that price so it’s not unrealistic. Bottom line is states need non-residents to make ends meet.

What have you been smoking?

Do you believe that an Idaho NR elk tag is $1200, or that a NR deer tag is $700?????
Wyoming is and if Res have to cover that revenue loss you will probably pay more in idaho. Careful what you wish for , you lose support from NR you won’t have the funds to fight off the Libs , then you won’t be huntin anything .

We're not losing NR support, we're gaining it every year. They're lining up in droves to get a tag OTC and applying in the controlled hunt drawing.

A few years ago NR could buy an OTC tag the week before the season opened, now 99% of the tags are sold out Dec 1st. Demand is through the roof and it's not going away.

We're not losing NR support, we're gaining it every year. They're lining up in droves to get a tag OTC and applying in the controlled hunt drawing.

A few years ago NR could buy an OTC tag the week before the season opened, now 99% of the tags are sold out Dec 1st. Demand is through the roof and it's not going away.
This is true, starting in 2018 everything changed from hey its March I guess I will pick up an ID elk tag since AZ/WY didn't hit.... to now it is 3pm Dec 1 and guess what your not going to ID.

I get what you guys are saying but the sounds of it if Res had a choice you wouldn’t have any non residents or drasticly reduce allocation , boy this thread to a turn , bottom line is guys should save their arguments for the real fight

Agreed! Us fellow hunters aren’t the future problems we got coming. I Fear for my kids hunting future and how all of this will impact them and future generations to come. Hunting will be something from the past and we will all be wishing we would have stuck together and fought this fight. One way government works is to get us to argue and disagree with one another so it distracts us from what there agenda really is.

Not saying they are now, but going to have to triple to make up revenue loss. Other states are that price so it’s not unrealistic. Bottom line is states need non-residents to make ends meet.
I totally disagree with your statement about needing non-residents to 'make ends meet'. Idaho residents have already proved this in the past with their willingness to pay NR prices for second deer tags.
Offer up every NR tag to the residents as second tags at NR prices and watch them sell out like hotcakes.
I'm also curious why some folks think that NR hunting opportunity is a prerequisite for mutual support for the cause of hunting? Seems a bit petty to me. I would stand with fellow sportsmen from any state at any time, even if I didn't hunt there.

Back to the original point of this thread: Good luck to all in the draws, both NR and R. If you get the opportunity to hunt someone else's state, show some gratitude and respect. I bet it will make your hunt even more enjoyable.-----SS

Just a warning guys, South Dakota uses the same vendor, their deer draw results by date is July 5th and their results still aren’t out yet. Be prepared to wait at least until the end of this week. I also heard that their separate elk draw was royally screwed up, sound familiar(18 extra NR sheep tags)?

I totally disagree with your statement about needing non-residents to 'make ends meet'. Idaho residents have already proved this in the past with their willingness to pay NR prices for second deer tags.
Offer up every NR tag to the residents as second tags at NR prices and watch them sell out like hotcakes.
I'm also curious why some folks think that NR hunting opportunity is a prerequisite for mutual support for the cause of hunting? Seems a bit petty to me. I would stand with fellow sportsmen from any state at any time, even if I didn't hunt there.

Back to the original point of this thread: Good luck to all in the draws, both NR and R. If you get the opportunity to hunt someone else's state, show some gratitude and respect. I bet it will make your hunt even more enjoyable.-----SS
Currently living in AZ where we are about 20 years ahead of ID on the Californication spectrum, I see a need for both Resident and NR interest in the state.

Obviously, first and foremost, keeping the resident voting base engaged in hunting has to be a priority. With 50k CA residents moving to AZ every year, the political landscape is changing fast. As our opportunity to resident ratio decreases, I worry that hunters will become apathetic towards issues while at the same time opposition from the other side increases. For ballot measures and commission issues we have to have resident engagement.

For national issues like park and monument designation and de-listing efforts, that is where we need resident and non-resident cooperation. For those issues anyone US citizen can help move the needle on critical issues.

This is where I think the 90/10 ratio strikes close to an equilibrium for many states. The exception might be in low population states where the resident base may struggle to be heard on national issues.

Has anyone considered that most of the people moving from California or any other state for that matter are probably going to your state because they are republicans and their voice can be heard and their votes will count. Not everyone from California or any other state that is blue are all libs. Just remember guys that there are tons of red counties in these states but we can’t compete with the population of the cities.

Has anyone considered that most of the people moving from California or any other state for that matter are probably going to your state because they are republicans and their voice can be heard and their votes will count. Not everyone from California or any other state that is blue are all libs. Just remember guys that there are tons of red counties in these states but we can’t compete with the population of the cities.
I’d imagine most people leaving California are leaving cause it’s too expensive, there are places to live that would definitely be cheaper

I wish that was truly the case with republicans moving from California, but the fact is libs and conservatives are fleeing California because they’ve allowed it to get so F’d up they have to leave. Sad really, California should be the best state in the country. Now they are bringing that crap to the interior, and trying to bring the failing policies with them. You can see it everywhere Boise, SLC, Jackson, Denver has been lost for years. You’d think people would use there common sense and see how well off the red states are compared to the failing blue states.
Anyway, sorry for making it political, but the country needs to wake up. Don’t kick me off founder. The racist, white supremacist, “mega” silent majority only speaks up once in awhile…

Here in Idaho, it was republican legislators who wanted to sell public land, republican legislators who screwed up the trespass laws for the benefit of the Wilks Brothers, etc, etc, etc. Simply electing republicans does not make good policy for hunters and anglers. We sportsmen need to do a better job of voting our issues and not blindly supporting people because of their affiliation.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom