Tiger Muskies - UPDATE

TerynItUp

LAST EDITED ON Jul-23-12 AT 10:59AM (MST)[p]Well we went out this weekend and had a blast. I am not a boat owner so all of the fishing I did was from the shore or wading out 30 yds or so. The water where we fished was very shallow, probably 8' deep at 70 yds out.

I was using a St. Croix Mojo Bass rod in med power with a fast action and an Abu Garcia Revo SX reel with 20lb braided line and a 12" steel leader. For the size of fish we caught, this rig was plenty to handle the fish.

I threw a variety of lures including Rapala X-Raps, Sub-Walks, Jointed Shad, DT-4's, Husky Jerks, Rat-l-traps in crawdad color, and even some top water spooks and buzzbaits.

I caught fish on every bait I threw except the buzzbait. The most fun I had was early yesterday morning catching them on the spook, topwater is always exciting but even more so with big aggressive fish.

Here are some pictures, our biggest fish was right at 30". We ended up catching between 15-20 Tigers.

Great Colors
4710tiger.jpg

Teeth are no joke
790teeth_close_up.jpg

Before Sunrise Action
773mandees_camera_114.jpg

They seemed more active early in the morning
2078mandees_camera_110.jpg

Fighting one waist deep
9332mandees_camera_143.jpg

One of the baits
3871img_0731.jpg

My rig
2513photo.jpg

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Oh Lord that is my pet peeve! I get it all the time, my name is Teryn though, NOT Terry!

I'll let it slide this time, lol.

Thanks, you need to take that gambler out there and hammer em!

Nice job! I talked with you a bit on the VC last week while fishing. I've thought about goin for tigers for a while now, but never have. Nice review of gear used.

Earlyriser, good to see you on here. That day at the VC was a good one, I had never fished it before and catching those big-headed browns was a ball. If you get the chance to make it out Bluewater it is worth the trip. I usually stay away from fishing lakes because I don't have a boat and get discouraged casting from the shore, however, Bluewater can be effectively fished without a boat. I will make many more trips to see if I can get a 40 incher on the end of my line.

Nice pictures of some good looking fish.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

42972008_gambler_2.jpg

You mean this poor thing? She's beeen sitting in my garage all year long.

I have it posted 4-sale on here and on bassboatcentral.com.

Teryn... sorry... brain fart.

AWESOME! This is the best post I've read for a long time on here.Thanks for sharing it...I grew up in Gallup and fishing that lake, but have never been back since they made it a tiger fishery!How bad did the wind get?Looking for a 14-16 ft trolling aluminum and those tigers have me all jacked up!

Awesome pics. As a Wisconsin native I am waiting until the day that work gives me off to go chase some Tigers.

Email from NMG&F.

Anyone else ready to put them in all the lakes. (just joking)

BLUEWATER LAKE ? New Mexico?s big-fish story of the summer just keeps getting bigger.

This time, Marcos Mata of Albuquerque owns the bragging rights with a 50.5-inch, 38-pound, 2-ounce tiger muskie, the latest in a string of state-record fish caught at Bluewater Lake. Mata?s monster muskie topped the previous state record by more than six pounds. It is the fourth time the state record has changed hands in the past year and a half.

Mata caught the record fish July 23 on a two-inch Silver Minnow lure. Previous state record muskies included a 31-pound, 14-ounce fish caught by Justin Easley of Edgewood; an 18-pound, .05-ounce muskie caught by Steve Roen of Truth or Consequences; and a 17-pound, 8-ounce muskie caught by Anastasia Alfaro of Albuquerque.

New Mexico fishing regulations allow anglers to keep one tiger muskie at least 40 inches long. Anglers are urged to handle all muskies with care, especially this time of year when water temperatures are high and the fish can become stressed when caught. Releasing fish quickly after they are hooked and keeping them in the water at all times will greatly increase their chances of survival.

The Department of Game and Fish began stocking tiger muskie fry and fingerlings in Bluewater and Quemado lakes in 2003, in hopes the nonbreeding, aggressive predators would help control growing populations of goldfish and white suckers. Since then, almost 267,000 muskies have been stocked in Bluewater Lake and more than 120,000 have been stocked in Quemado Lake.

Anglers who catch a fish they believe is worthy of the record books can find record applications and more information on the Department website, www.wildlife.state.nm.us.

My 14 year old Autistic sons very first tiger muskie! Wasn't quite big enough for us to keep, but nonetheless he was extremely proud of his catch.
4636107.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom