Tikka T3 denting bullets

DonVathome

Very Active Member
My 300 win mag Tikka T3 often dents bullets when loading from magazine into the chamber. With lead tipped bullets like Core Lokt it is bad enough I am sure it affects bullet flight. It seems to help a little if I am careful to push the bullets in the magazine all the way back - but it still does it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I suggest you test it out to be be sure it is not damaging your bullets.

....that's why long rangers and bench resters don't shoot from a magazine.

It's what magazines do Don...

Interesting, I have not noticed in the past with other guns. I load one in the chamber by hand to be safe. I am switching to accubond bullets for most game but will use cor lokt on smaller game like deer and lope. I di notice that the lead tip on cor lokt bullets is inconsistent and hand pick bullets to hunt with. Thanks!

Bob
This is a common problem with many rifles not just tikka. The feed ramp angle is sometimes to steep and the bullet tips get smashed while chambering a round.
Another problem with tikka is the magazine box. The rounds in the magazine move under recoil especially in magnum cartridges and slam into the front of the magazine box and the tips get smashed that way also.

Good hunt! Saw a HUGE booner, got this one

20210908_184241.jpg

I noticed that problem in my Tikka with nosler partition bullets. I switched to Barnes TSX and they stay perfect before and after chambering from the magazine.

Don't need more than one??? I have found lead tips in my rugger, savage, tikka, all get smashed from recoil. This is for hunting and from my experiments at the range shooting lead bullets one at a time vs through my magazine did not affect my groups at all to 300 yards. No measurement in groups at all. 400 I could barely make a difference, at 500 yards my groups grew about 2". But still very much lethal. I have never shot an animal over 350 yards so not an issue. This was done 2 years ago so I cant remember the exact numbers but my 500 yard shots in my savage, rugger and tikka all went from grape fruit size groups to a small pie plate... Test it and see what you get...

elks96 thanks! Good to know I had no idea what the affect would be but thought 300 yards would be noticeable. I will relax about it now.

NO PROBLEM HERE WITH A VARIETY OF .300 BULLETS IN MY TIKKA. ...................................................YD.

I concur that most deformities are from recoil while in the magazine. I don’t worry about it when sighting in but always pick one without an deformity to chamber for a hunt. That way I know the first bullet I send will be unaffected.

My 300 win mag Tikka T3 often dents bullets when loading from magazine into the chamber. With lead tipped bullets like Core Lokt it is bad enough I am sure it affects bullet flight. It seems to help a little if I am careful to push the bullets in the magazine all the way back - but it still does it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? I suggest you test it out to be be sure it is not damaging your bullets.
Maybe consider a different bullet?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom