Time for a Re-barrel...

Lhedrick1

I've got a Weatherby Mark V in 300 Weatherby my Dad bought new in the early 90s. Being that both of us have killed quite a few animals with it ( him more so than I), it has sentimental value. But that damn thing just won't shoot. 1 day it will shoot a 1" group at 100 yards and then you move back to 200 and it will throw flyers. Factory Weatherby ammo sprays. Ive put a new stock on it and its no better. Im guessing it has 500 rounds through it on on the high side so it shouldn't be shot out. But Ive shot enough the last couple years to know its not just me, its the rifle.

So I'm thinking of rebarreling it, bedding it, crown blueprinted all that good stuff. I want a short light elk/deer mountain rifle that will shoot MOA or better. Not looking for a target gun.

We already have a a 6.5 CM, 7mm mag, 270, 280 AI, 300 Norma, and 35 Whelen.

My initial thought is rebarrel to 300 Weatherby since I have brass, dies and bullets.

But for an all around hunting rifle, these others are intriguing: .264 Win Mag, 6.5x284, 300 Winny, 30-06 (BORING! I know) 8mm Mag, 8x68Sor possibly the 338 Winny.

What would you do and why?

I would do .264 but only because I don't have one. I have thought about an 8mm, but bullet selection seems to be limited.

I would do .264 but only because I don't have one. I have thought about an 8mm, but bullet selection seems to be limited.

Thats the only issue I have with the 8mm mag as well. That and its pretty brutal recoil. I had a .264 win mag I should have never sold. It was a pre 64 Winchester. But 1 1/2" groups is all I could get out if it. I think with a newer custom rifle the .264 would really shine with 140 gr pills.

Forgot to mention the .338-06. This would complete our 06 family I think

Last edited:
You'd need to stay with a cartridge that will fit a mag size bolt face so that precludes anything in the '06 family of cartridges.
I too would build a fast twist (8) 264 win mag on that action and shoot 140 class bullets.

Zeke

You'd need to stay with a cartridge that will fit a mag size bolt face so that precludes anything in the '06 family of cartridges.
I too would build a fast twist (8) 264 win mag on that action and shoot 140 class bullets.

Zeke

I forgot all about the bolt. Thanks.Im a sucker for the left out cartidges. For a magnum though, its not very efficient. It might have a slight edge (speed wise) over the 6.5x284 but I guess what I have to work with is what I have to work with. Barrel life is of a concern also. Is it realistic to get 1500 rounds out of a barrel if you baby it?

Im worried about barrel life yet I want a 8mm mag. Who am I kidding.

I forgot all about the king of the quarter bores. I ran a quick ballistics test using a 115 gr Berger VLD at a modest speed of 3200 FPS and looks like it could potentially be flatter shooting than the 264 Winny, 7mm Rem mag, 300 Weatherby mag and 8mm Reming mag. Not a very good all around hunting cartridge but maybe potential for a good LR target caliber. Tad lighter than i would like to see though.

For what it's worth HEDDie, you already know about my 6.5X284 rebuild and I'm liking it a lot. It's in the hunting rig class you seem to be looking for.
I've been getting some smoking MV with RL 26 and 23.
(3200+). But old Zeke doesn't think much of barrel/case burning speed, so he talked me into toning it down a bit. (3150)
Monday I shot s sub quarter inch 3 shot group with the 124g Hammers, and another 2 shot (one cartridge had a bad primer) group was in the same hole.
That's the kinda stuff that makes me Grin!

Last edited:
For what it's worth HEDDie, you already know about my 6.5X284 rebuild and I'm liking it a lot. It's in the hunting rig class you seem to be looking for.
I've been getting some smoking MV with RL 26 and 23.
(3200+). But old Zeke doesn't think much of barrel/case burning speed, so he talked me into toning it down a bit. (3150)
Monday I shot s sub quarter inch 3 shot group with the 124g Hammers, and another 2 shot (one cartridge had a bad primer) group was in the same hole.
That's the kinda stuff that makes me Grin!

I think for a dedicated long range target gun, any of the 6.5s would be hard to beat, 6.5 PRC, 6.5x.284, 6.5-06. I have a 6.5 Creedmore and though its an absolute pleasure to shoot and it is a very good shooting rifle, I wish it had a little more oomph.

hmmmm....I was going to say try the 6.5 wby RPM.....but rebated to '06 bolt face diameter.....

I would look hard at a .300 PRC if it were going to be a long range ,"mostly" gun.
The weatherby cartridge is a great way to go through. Especially if you already load it yourself.
Brass will possibly be a little tough to get for the .300 PRC. But certainly lots of other options out there.

I’d bed the factory stock and free float the barrel and see how it shoots before anything else. Respring the factory trigger also.
Also being a magnum long action you might be better off starting over with another action if you want a short light mountain rifle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom