Times like these...

CAelknuts

Times like what we are going through right now serve as a good reminder why Africa bound hunters would often be well advised to book their hunt through an agent, as well as use the handful of travel agents who specialize in safari hunter travel.

I know many guys book their own safaris and flights, I have myself a number of times. When all goes well it usually works just fine, but when stuff happens and everyone is having problems, having good people representing you can be a difference maker.
Just something to think about.

maybe on the airfare as that is a crap shoot who you will get to talk with on the phone to fix a problem. For booking a hunt and good outfitter will do what is right. I have helped many guys book hunts and I am no agent but all I do is help. Agents have a purpose for guys who want all the work done for them but as far as because of this problem you would be better off I do not think so. I have a 45 day trip planned from july 8th till aug 15 and I am not worried at all about deposit or if my outfitter will do right by me.

I do use a travel agent as she always get me better deals then I can on my on anyway and I know she will do her best always and knows who to call to help when needed.

With or without an agent, if you have a trip planned within the next few months i'm sure your panicking. Myself, i'm supposed to leave on the 18th of April as part of a group of 9. Our outfitter is very responsive and eager to help us reschedule and that is reassuring. My fear is the potential economic impact in Africa. Our outfitter has many years in the industry but the loss of a large part of a hunting season could have devastating impacts on many hunting operations.

Many safari operators will be at risk of going out of business. It’s going to be tough, so support them as you can. There are going to be some great deals later in the year, and they’ll be glad to have those of us who can go.

All of us hoping to go over this year are at risk, at least presently, but I'm not sure a booking agent will be able to do much. A travel agent, most definitely, because rearranging airfare is a royal pain during the good times.

Some find booking agents quite helpful. I have had better luck on my own in the past. It is clearly an individual thing.

While it looks increasingly unlikely Namibia will reopen in time for my trip this year, I have every confidence I can rebook. I do feel for these outfitters - a major part of their livelihood has just vanished, with no way to make up the missing revenue.

Bill

All of the "upstanding" African outfitters would give deposits back 100% and set you up with later dates. I do know there are a lot of sketchy outfitters who would not but I guess after you've been dozens of times you start to figure out where the true hunts are and where they are not. As for the flights, travel insurance is not that much. I wouldn't say a booking agent is necessary. In fact I haven't used one in the last 8 years.

I found I loose a lot of flexibility with agents and don't get the best deals. Then again I've learned the system over the last 20 years.

Good luck to all.

One reason to use a quality booking agent is that some of your funds can be held in escrow stateside. If you pay a 40% deposit, 25% of the hunt cost is sent onward to the safari company, with the remaining 15% being the agents commission. The 25% is gone overseas and at risk, but you should definitely get your 15% back, and he may have some leverage in negotiating an acceptable solution for the rest. Then when you’ve gone on safari, the agent will hold the prepaid trophy fees deposit until your safari is done, then forward along the appropriate amount to the safari company.
ive done a fair amount of international hunting and am perfectly capable of booking my own hunts. I do find that there are times that using an agent is a better way to go, for various reasons.

I am not a fan of paying 15 to 30% more for a hunt I could book myself. If you have the cash I guess but I will never give anyone a 40% or 50% deposit either. each there own though and agents do work well for some hunters

Im with you 100%! I think the last time i put a deposit down was on an elephant hunt back in 2013. In total i think ive only give 3 deposits total. A deposit is only for an animal that has a high demand and will go to someone else within that same day if you dont put a deposit down. The only such animals that meet that criteria now is most likely only an auction tag for a free range lion in the namibian sands desert or a timbivati lion that gets auctioned every other year. Those are 1/4 mill dolloar license tho so its understandable.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom