Tipping your guide

Roy

Hey OFG - or anyone else - I wanted to know what an appropriate tip for a fishing guide would be. I just returned from a trip to Alaska fishing for kings and sockeye. It was probably the single most awesome outdoor experience of my life. We (five of us) spent 6 days and 7 nights on the Naknek River and other tributaries in the Bristol Bay area - and we slayed them. I caught about 15 quality kings well over 25 lbs, a 17 lb rainbow, as many sockeye as I could until my arm fell off as well as chum salmon by the dozen and one little 12 inch Dolly Varden. I feel that I am an accomplished fisherman but I really owe this success to our guides - they were awesome and we really appreciated all they did. We think we tipped generously but I want to make sure that we thanked them appropriately for providing us with an amazing experience. Let me know what a guide expects and appreciates.

Thanks,
ROY

In the 10% range. But divided (not equally) between guide, cook, rangler, etc. Grand slam/Ovis website discussed this topic and had guidelines. Don't know if it is still there.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

I must have seemed like a big spender then!

we went for a half day float on the Arkansas River. Fishing was tough. Each guide (1 per boat) got 50.00. The boats were 200.00 each. That was 25% on a bad fishing day. I wish I had seen the 10% deal, but hey, it was my bachelor party.

RE: I must have seemed like a big spender then!

That's a pretty wholesome bachelor party! - You probably would have spent a whole lot more tipping a stripper - now you just need to make it clear to the wife that the fishing doesn't end with "I do"!

ROY

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom