Tires

utarchery

What is the best tire for a hunting truck.? I’m looking for something that i can put up to 10k miles a year on and is somewhat quiet and a small chance of getting flats. I’d prefer an all terrain. What’s your votes?

Michelins are the best I've had for wear...very expensive thou...I have been running the Firestone Transforce AT2...good wear, really good ride, and not hard on the wallet

Which Han looks and what BFG, 2nd gen kos?
I don't remember the model, but they were the highest ply all-terrain all weather ones. We had several vehicles operating exclusively on coal mines where the roads were surfaced with scoria (think glass) and the Hankooks were the only ones we got over 10,000 miles out of. I tried some on my truck (f-350 pulling a big trailer on gravel roads) and they got 50% more miles than the coopers before that.

I have Dick Cepeks now and I like them. Seem to be wearing well.

I am showing my age but back in the 1970's we bought Firestone IMPROVED TRACTOR TREAD-RE-TREADS {A Very Narrow Tire} (On Rims) + I doubt we can find RE-TREADS Today... loaded them as cargo to be put on your Truck once you got where you're going.
For such long drives we had Street tires (Car Tires) on our Trucks. Yes, that was LOOOOOg time ago'z... Now either our willingness to haul such or Modern Tire seem to be the easy ROAD :)

Jagerdad :)

I'vw run most all the brands over the years, both my trucks have the newer Cooper AT3's on them now. Definitely the best all around tires I've ever owned.

Do you mean 10,000 miles off road or 10,000 combined with normal driving? I get at least 50,000 out of mine and I would guess that I put around 5000 off road a year on a good year. It all depends on what you’re driving on. I destroyed a new set one season where I was in a unit I had to rock crawl everywhere I went. Most places I go aren’t as abrasive, I’m usually in the sand or sage type country. The best I found were Michelin or Goodyear. Both all terrain LT tires.

10,000 max exclusively on unpaved haul roads. Extreme conditions. Trucks stayed on site. You can deduct about 25% because they were a company ride. ;)

I've been a Toyo guy for my last 3 trucks, so 20 years of experience with them.

I run the A/T's May thru October and then for winter I put on the M/T's November thru April.

Robb

ive been running the goodyear dura tracs. as an off road tire, they have been freakin awesome. way better then the BFG AT. ive had a couple sets of the ATs and they just didnt perform like advertised. since going to the duratracs i wont go back.

Toyo M-55 light truck for me. Got tired of our Iowa gravel roads chewing the tread off the others I've tried.
Toyo was our second best performer. We spent well over a million dollars on tires every year, but only about $250k on light vehicle tires.

Jaeger, I can't remember the last time I saw a retread for a light vehicle. They are still common on the big stuff like scrapers and haul trucks as long as the sidewall is still good.

We have been using a lot of Nitto Grapplers on all of the Nissan truck builds. The Terra Grappler G2 is a really road worthy A/T which works off road. Likewise, the M/T is really too aggressive for a lot of highway miles and is somewhat noisy. The Ridge Grappler is a perfect combination of the two, with heavy outer lugs to give long wear but open self cleaning ability in dirt/rocks/mud.

I have the EXO grappler on my diesel and they seem to be good so far. Cooper stt pros on my Toyota but they are way loud and not worth a damn in snow and ice

I've got 2nd generation BFGs on my dually. Great tire for wear and fairly quiet. Ive got Cooper ST Maxx on the boss' F350.

Last edited:
Got Tired of the BF GOODRICH Trash of today!

PIRELLI MTR's!

Twice the Mileage & Better Traction!

Pirelli-Scorpion-MTR.jpg
pirelli mtr.jpg

I have used them all, probably the best were Hercules Trail Digger cheap but offroad performance is second to none

265-70r17-121-118q-hercules-trail-digger-m-t-2657017-inch.jpg

How many miles did you get out of a set and how are the noise on a light gas truck?

ive been running the goodyear dura tracs. as an off road tire, they have been freakin awesome. way better then the BFG AT. ive had a couple sets of the ATs and they just didnt perform like advertised. since going to the duratracs i wont go back.

They're Not Extremely Noisy for an Aggressive Tire!

But Yes,You can Hear them.

It used to be if the Tire said BF GOODRICH on it,it was a Quality Tire!

Not So anymore!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom