To bear fence or not to bear fence?? Thats the questions!

callsalot

I drew a Wyoming unit 51 archery type 9 elk tag. Every call I make to gather info is greeted with the same advice, be prepared for bears!! I am a do it yourself guy and non resident so I will not be hunting the wilderness. Will be staying in my wall tent and was thinking of buy an electric bear fence to put around it. Any advice on if they work and if it's worth the money????

LAST EDITED ON Jun-12-18 AT 11:08AM (MST)[p]Unfortunately, the bells will keep the elk away too...

Don't keep food in the tent or anywhere near it. Follow the rules for storing food in bear country. I would certainly sleep better with a bear fence though...

+1 on the bear spray. You can carry a firearm while bow hunting in Wyoming, also. Know how to use the bear spray and KEEP IT READILY AVAILABLE. It does no good to have it in your pack!

A bear fence is a lot cheaper than a new wall tent.. I've heard grizzlies hit our bear fence when I used to guide in the Teton wilderness...11,000 volts and they would just go try it again in another spot. We would have never slept without a fence. Choice is yours, but if you go without one and have an encounter close to camp with one, you will never sleep and every sound will make you jump, which will make hunting all day miserable. Just my thoughts of 8 years hunting in heavy grizzly country

I've used one for years. Not just in bear country. They are great at keeping stock away from your tent also when hunting in areas where range cattle like to use your tent for shade!

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I will definitely look into getting a bear fence. I didn't even think about the fact it will keep stock away from my tent also. It couldn't hurt "as long as you don't shock yourself" and I think I'd sleep better at night with it. Wyoming here I come and I appreciate everyone's input.

Bear spray maybe a good thing. But I would have a pistol on my side or across my chest. I would be sleeping with a 12 gauge in my sleeping bag. With buck shot and slugs ever other round in the magazine. Hopefully a buddy armed the same way. Go prepared a fence my be nice as well. Hopefully you don't need it as long as you keep camp clean and your food up high. Good luck on your hunt.

Yes, I've read that a 12 gauge with 00 buck shot is the best defense on a grizzly. So we are going to do the bear fence at camp and we'll carry bear spray and I think the caller will carry a shotgun while the other sets for the archery shot. I only have a 9mm but might add that to the mix also.
Hopefully if we see a griz it will be through the binos.

My Dad worked Alaska camp jobs. They used the shot gun with Slug then 00 then slug then 00. The reason behind it was to penetrate and kill with the slug first shot in the chest. Then second shot to bloody up the nose and take out the eyes. So he can't find you till the slug does its job.

DZ

Thanks, there is some logic to that for sure. I just hope I can hit a charging grizzly with a slug the first shot but I do see why this may be a good way to stack your ammo in the magazine.

Yes a 44 mag would for sure be better. I'm just not sure if after having bear spray and the guy doing the calling carrying a 12 gauge if it's worth it to then buy a 44 mag since I don't own one already and would probably never use it again outside of hunting parts of Wyoming. So I'll have to way the cost vs. having a larger hand gun with me.

Solar electric fence BEAR spray and Shotgun and a slow fat partner will work.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Got it, solar electric fence, bear spray, shotgun and I'll start to buy him two big macs and extra large fries and milk shake everyday from now until we head for the high country:)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom