To Call or Not To Call

DreaminOf200

Listening to podcasts, daydreaming about September and just thought I'd throw this out there for conversation.

Date: September 20th; Archery

Elevation: 6,000 - 8,000 ft.

Terrain: Steep draws to rolling foothills; mostly juniper trees ranging from really thick pockets to wide open areas. Not an area know for huge numbers of elk, but there's enough that you see them every day.

Situation: It's morning and good daylight. The elk shouldn't bed down for at least an hour. You're hunting with one other person and you throw out a locator bugle. You get a response 800-1000 yards away but can't see the bull. You find a better vantage point and locate the bull. He has 5 cows, there's a raghorn hanging around with them, and they're at 1000 yards. It's been 15 minutes since the bull responded to your call, and he hasn't made a sound since. What do you do next?

1. Bugle where you are and see how he reacts?
2. Bed them down and then attempt a silent stalk?
3. Go after him and attempt an ambush without ever calling?
4. Cut the distance to 300 yards and cow call?
5. Cut the distance to 300 yards and rip a bugle?
6. Other?

58953img0545.jpg

Cow calls to see his reaction. If he has a satellite bull hanging around more bugles may make him take his harem and run.

Depends on the wind. If it's good for a stalk in closer I think I'd do that. It can be tough to pull the big guy away from the cows. If you're ok with a satellite, more calling might do the trick.

If the wind is finicky and there's no approach I might bugle again to get a reaction or wait them out.

I'd have my buddy hang back and try to keep him bugling every 20-30 minutes while I stalked in and tried getting a shot. Or do the same for my buddy.

Steady wind, move in tight before cow calling, maybe have partner stop 200yds out and give a couple wimpy bugles

Any question on wind or approach, wait for evening and get ahead of them with an ambush, use calling to fine tune if range isn't perfect

6 - Other. Since you can see him, whoever made the call that he responded to stays back and watches. The other hunter moves closer. After 20 minutes, the guy that stayed back calls again, hoping for another response. Depending on what he does, formulate a new Plan A!

>Get within 100-150 yrds.
>
>Have partner cow call while you
>close the deal.

I like this! I would probably have my partner follow-up with a bugle if the bull did not respond to the cow call, giving a good 15-20 minutes following the cow call.

Extremely important to check thermals frequently. Bulls that are quite will try to flank the caller to get a scent.

+1 for under 150 yards. Distance you call from is everything especially if it's a herd bull.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom