To Score or not to Score....

luckless

All,
I've never been one to care what an animal scored, but I have to admit that my curiosity got the best of me with my elk. Now, I'm wishing I would've skipped the taping. I was/am extatic about my bull and saw him as a monster bull, even if he had weak 2nd and 3rs on his 7 side. After filling out the online B&C scoring sheet, I was amazed to find that it only grossed 294 (although I was VERY conservative with the tape). However, after 56 inches in deductions, it was only a 238!!!!

This is a big bull and the deductions killed it!

I'm claiming gross!

DC

Remember nets are for fish. As for the deductions the way I see your bull he has good thirds . The small point on right is a nontypical point not the third. Still a nice bull you did better than I did . Set 340 for a goal ,tags don't taste very good.

I always set "legal" as a goal, cause tags come few and far between.

Welcome to the MM NM forum, by the way...

DC

You win a giant BS FLAG, since you and John both said 280-class!!!

DC

BTW: I ordered my slicer and dehydrator last night... mmmm... Jerky!

DC

scores r for fish not nets!!! I just got back from a gila hunt. the bull I shot went 340. all i could see whenn I shot were his ones and twos. I thought he was a 300 bull when I shot but found he was bigger by tape. excitement is all that counts and boy was I.

SS,
I just read your post on the Elk forum. I've been following the NM one, too. Congrats on the monster. BTW, I dig the truck, too. A little less redneck than my pic!!

DC

Boo! I said 300, he said 280-300. Actually I said 294 if you scored it conservitavely, which you did. I am a good elk score calculatorereor? Anyway, did you get it all cut up. I want some jerky.

We did up Jerry's yesterday. I'm gonna wait until my slicer and dryer come in to cut it any smaller than it iss. I've got the bags aging right now...

DC

Dan, thats a nice bull any way you slice it.

I score when I can just to get a feel for it and to keep me from exaggerating :).

Are you mounting or are you doing a European mount.

I am doing a European of my bull because the deal was he had to be bigger than the wifes to mount him. We have 4 mounted already.

As it is now I have a oryx or maybe 2, 2 antelope, 3 elk and I am sure some deer to do Europeans of. if you want me to do yours let me know or I can show you some tricks.

Come by some time and you can see the ones I have done.

By the way we are back from WY trying to catch up. It has been real busy. Saw the most amazing thing there that I will post up when I get a chance.

Paul,
I'm going Euro due to lack of space. I'll try to swing by this weekend. Jerry, Mike and I are likely to be scouting for deer.

DC

"Who cares what he scores" is what my old man always tells me. Your bull is a hell of a bull and is a trophy in my and just about any elk hunter's book regardless of how many inches of antler a scoring method tells you he has. Like you though, I do get curious as to the size of a few of my elk and either score them or have them measured. It is kind of neat to have a reference as to the size of en elk though. And, I like gross scores a lot more than the net, that's for certain. I did a euro on my bull from last year and just started boiling this year's skull last night as my neighbors started complaining about the smell coming from my storage shed. They look great and you can stick them just about anywhere. Congrats again.

I didn't read the story, just the subject, SCORE!!! Ha ha but really after reading it, the score doesn't matter. As long as it is a trophy in your eyes, who cares what the B&C says about it? And I bet it tastes good too!!

Dan, come by, I should be home most of the weekend. I did 10 Euros for family and friends last year and I am on track to do as many this year. What is one more. There is a guy up here that makes real nice Juniper plaques as well or you can make your own.

Paul

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom