To suppress or not to suppress?

Firedad

I want a 7 prc lightweight (scoped 8lbs or less) for elk and deer out to 1000 yards
(No comments about ethics or skill level. I don’t plan on it but I want to be the limiting factor not the rifle/bullet’s capabilities)
Originally wanted a 22” or 24” barrel plus brake. Don’t prefer CF over SS. I’m looking for suggestions on barrel length and hear the debate on suppressors.

If you want a suppressor just do it to start the 14 plus month wait.

A loud muzzlebrake is no fun

At 1000 yds, the suppression is for you and not the target.

Up to you really and how bad you want to pay for the tax stamp.

Haha yes it’s for my hearing not the animal. I don’t mind the tax stamp or the wait. More about is it worth the sacrifice to shorten barrel length on a rifle I want to reach out long distance or have a longer barrel 24” + 6-7” suppressor = really long barrel for hunting.

The greatest benefits of suppression is always for the shorter over the animal.

I shot a suppressed gun recently for the first time. Killed an elk with it. It was a flat pleasure to shoot. If you have the means and desire, I think a suppressor is a no-brainer.

I can’t answer the specific ballistics and needs for barrel length, but after my experience recently on that elk hunt, I vote get a suppressor!

Suppressor length and overall length is definitely a factor. As a suppressor dealer I do have the luxury of using a lot of different suppressors and have experimented with a lot of different length suppressors. From my experience, I have found a 7-9" length suppressor is needed for good suppression on hunting caliber type rifles. So that kind of length makes for a long hunting rifle. I don't mind a suppressor in the 7" length and have just learned to deal with it. I do have a 5", Thunderbeast Ultra 5 that I like for hunts that I'm trying to keep the rifle on the shorter side.

You shouldn't be 14 months for the wait. Efile is taking around 250 days right now. Its been frustrating because Efile was supposed to be under 90 days, and I had 250 applications approved under the 90 days. Most had been under 70 days and had a couple of lucky shooters have under 20 day approvals. The ATF has shown they can do the approvals in a fast manner, so hopefully we get back to the under 90 day approvals. In the mean time, 250 days is still better than the 14 months of years past.

Suppressors are like beer or potato chips, can't have just one, so prepare for the trip down the rabbit hole.

I went with a 22" barrel and a suppressor. Once I shot a good muzzle brake, I didn't enjoy shooting without it. But Sometimes you don't have time hunting to put on ear protection. Hence, now a suppressor that I picked up this week to finish my build.

I am 81/2 pounds with seekins havak element, a trijicon 4x24 scope, thunder beast 7 suppressor and a sling. Several scopes would have put me at 8 pounds. Over all length is same as a 26" barrel with a brake. I loose about 100 fps vs a 26" barrel on a 28 nosler.

I personally like the rugged radiant cause you be 7.5" or go down to 5.1" which I found very handy for a scabbard on my horse.

Although the rugged Alaskan 360 is going to be my next one .

A good dealer is helpful to. My dealer took me to the range and had so many models to try. He even loaded sub sonic loads for me to really get a taste of how quiet you can go. I was able to attach and feel it and shoot them and that's how I choose the rugged. He Even brought some full autos and had some fun doing that st the range.

I have a couple I’m waiting on and probably going to get the ball rolling on a couple more. Meanwhile I’m trying to determine a happy medium on barrel length.

This is why I wish they woulda made the 7 PRC a short action. I’d go with a 7mm SS or SAUM. You’re just throwing powder out the barrel if you go long action and you save some length in the action you can put towards barrel length.

I am currently selling most of my custom rifles to have new customs built with shorter barrels because I love hunting suppressed so much. I’m with yotebuster, I would go with a 7 SS or 7 saum with 20-22” barrels. Ballistically would be so close to a shorter barreled 7 PRC but in a short action with much less recoil.

My gunsmith built himself a 7SS with a 18” barrel and still getting 180s going 2800 fps. If you went with a 22” barrel you’re probably looking about 2900 fps and that’s probably dang close to what you’d get out of a 7 PRC with a 22” barrel but have less recoil, less powder, and a short action.

Get the can ! Once you shoot suppressed you will never go back . Less recoil and quiet for you and the animal. They may not know you are shooting at them. Most rifle builders have got away from the long 26 to 28 barrels. Nothing you are giving up in barrel length will matter to you. Much better for your spotter's sitting next to you ! Flinching does not only come from recoil !

Also it’s going to be really hard to get a 1000 yard rifle scoped under 8 lbs. IMO you’re going to need a great scope and a great scope is going to be the range of 28-40 oz. To get a SS barreled rifle you’d have to go with a feather weight stock and most likely a titanium action. It can be done but it’s tough.

CF barrel will handle the suppressor better than the feather weight SS too right? Thing about the 7 prc vs 7ss or Saum is I don’t reload. Am I going to find good factory ammo?

Now that I have a suppressor, I will never build or buy a rifle again that isn't threaded. Looking at getting another one soon. It's e-File now so it's only a few months out instead of a year.

CF barrel will handle the suppressor better than the feather weight SS too right? Thing about the 7 prc vs 7ss or Saum is I don’t reload. Am I going to find good factory ammo?
No, factory ammo will make both of those a no go. Honestly factory ammo is most likely going to make 1000 yards a no go as well. If you’re looking for a factory rifle using factory ammo and trying to keep that cheap and under 8 lbs scoped you’re looking for a unicorn.

My opinion, if your building one and can pick a factory ammo available caliber would go 300 prc over 7mm since you said the word "elk" and "1000 yards" in the same sentence. Also factory ammo, lots 300 prc out there and prices have came down. The 5 inch suppressor will keep you from going deaf hunting and will help knock the "crack" out of a magnum rifle but a 7 inch is needed to really knock the sound down. I would stay at 22 inches or even 20 if planning to always use a suppressor on that rifle. Save some real $ for good scope also. Getting going, pick a suppressor and file for the stamp asap.

I don’t plan to shoot at 1000 yards but want the confidence knowing the rifle and bullet is capable. Maybe 300prc would be a better option. Wish I could shoot one. Anyone in Reno have one i might be able to shoot?

I don’t plan to shoot at 1000 yards but want the confidence knowing the rifle and bullet is capable. Maybe 300prc would be a better option. Wish I could shoot one. Anyone in Reno have one i might be able to shoot?
It’ll feel just like a 300 win mag

There’s a reason the PRS shooters don’t use 8lb rifles. I would never have the confidence knowing a factory rifle with factory ammo could shoot 1000 with much more accuracy than a 20” group. It would be a RARE factory set up that could do much better than that especially at 8 lbs. you’ll see your own heartbeat in the crosshairs of an 8 lb rifle.

Pulled the trigger on a Banish 30 at the Sheep Show yesterday. Hopefully I see it just in time for fall
I bought a Banish 30 back in February 2021 and still don't have it, was told 6-9 months tops with new ATF efiling process. Whatever the salesman told you the wait time was during his sales jibberish I'd say double or triple the timeframe and you might get it by then... :)

I bought a Banish 30 back in February 2021 and still don't have it, was told 6-9 months tops with new ATF efiling process. Whatever the salesman told you the wait time was during his sales jibberish I'd say double or triple the timeframe and you might get it by then... :)
I would say something has held your application up. Based on what I’ve seen most have said about 14 months right now. I was told ATF ruling on pistol braces will probably have an impact on tax stamps as well that’s why I decided to get one now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom