Toilet seat?

stinky

What the heck is going on here?...about a month ago I knew that I was going on the river Memorial Day weekend. You need a "Groover" for that (used to be an ammo can that left a groove in ur...you know) and it is required by the BLM.

So, I look at em at Sportsman's Guide. I am looking for a toilet seat that sits on a bucket. They have em, But, when I finally get off my butt and start doing the order...they are now sold out. If you get them w/a bucket, it is an extra $5. They are an ordinary 5 gallon bucket, the seat goes on top of that and there is a HD plastic bag w/some sort of chemical in there. You do your biz, and then afterwards roll up the bag...minimal smell.

I am to cheap to pay 5 bucks for a bucket...I already have several and I find em laying on the side of the road.

So, I swing by Sportsman's Warehouse...they have the whole set-up, but not just the seat. If you order it online, you can pick it up at the store w/o a charge. I order it. The next day I get an email, it is here...about 10 days earlier than they said. As I am walking up to the store, a lady is walking out w/something under her arm...the whole set-up (about 20 bucks). I get inside...only a partial order is in. They also do not have anything on the shelf...she took the last one.

The order was supposed to be here on the 21st...today, the 20th, I get an email saying that the thing has a new delivery date...next week sometime.

So, it looks like I'm using the bucket, and the bags, w/no lid...a Groover.

So, my question, finally, what gives? Why the big rush on portable toilets?

Lots of people who travel all over can't now so they are going camping. Having your own potty keeps you away from the public toilets.

Some places are not opening outdoor or public restrooms . Because they cannot have someone standing there. To wipe them down every time someone walks out . Say thank you to Covid 19!

I guess you could "borrow" the toilet seat from home. They come right off usually. I'm all for saving $5. :)

Lots of them listed on the net from Cabelas, REi, Amazon, etc. for about $15. Free shipping on some.

Well...things came up, and we ain't staying overnight, so we don't need a toilet. 2 day trips...probably on the "Gunny."

There is no such thing as not needing a toilet.

I see a few more porta-johns out in the woods these days. I did the ammo can thing on river trips; careful you don't fall over.

WINNER. I miss hanging my ass over a convenient log. It's part of camping.
The problem is running rivers there are usually a few spots that get used to camp, you really don’t want everyone crapping there. It is really no different than leaving your trash, something you just don’t do. Out in the woods I crap where it pleases me but on the river it is different.

You cant dig holes by the river? I fully agree with keeping it sanitary but I would think packing your crap around with you in a walmart sack would be quite the opposite of sanitary....

You cant dig holes by the river? I fully agree with keeping it sanitary but I would think packing your crap around with you in a walmart sack would be quite the opposite of sanitary....
You shouldn’t dig holes right where everyone will be camping on the river, a groover is a far cry from a walmart sack.

River corridors are a small heavily used area. Think up to 25 people at a time camping in the same small area for 3 or 4 months at a time.

River runners learned a long time ago to pack it out. It's not that hard at all.

River corridors are a small heavily used area. Think up to 25 people at a time camping in the same small area for 3 or 4 months at a time.

River runners learned a long time ago to pack it out. It's not that hard at all.

One more reason to avoid running rivers I guess. If I want a thrill filled, overcrowded, death defying act of heroism, i can just go to the local walmart...

All ya need is your shovel

Robb
IMG_1146.JPG

As someone who has been down a couple of rivers, crapping in the ammo can is absolutely necessary for the sake of the canyon. Latrine duty is the worst part of it. And while the cans dont stink if you do it right, hauling them on your boat tends to keep the pretentious a-holes away. ;)

Hauling your crap out of the river is a small price to pay for the sound of a rapid coming round the bend.(y)

I think I'll just avoid the apparently poop filled river running and carrying shirt. No matter how you slice that pie, its gonna stink. You guys enjoy though!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom