Too many Scopes!!!

M

Marrucaso

I've got a problem!

I'm going on my first mule deer hunt in exactly 2 weeks. My friends dad gave me an older 30.06 rifle and scope for $200 and assured me that he almost paid that much for the scope alone. I think they're both about 20+ yrs old.

For some dang reason, the scope won't work right. At 100 yds I can either focus on the target, and the reticle is fuzzy/disapears, or focus on the reticle and it's crystal sharp but the target is fuzzy.

I asked the fellow at the range and he looked through it and had the same problem. He told me to buy a new scope.

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT SCOPES!!!

I want the clearest, crispest image I can get for $199 or less. He said to get a 3-9x40 adjustable, but I don't know if they're as good as a fixed scope. I want something that can handle a days worth of hiking in rough terrain.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Thanks,

M.

Just ahead of the eyepiece should be a knurled lock ring. Loosen it away from eyepiece and as you are looking through scope turn the eyepiece to adjust to your preference.

What is the scope? fixed power or variable? manufacture?

JB

Thanks JB... but that's the first thing the man at the range did. We loosened it ALL THE WAY and then tightened it ALL THE WAY and it made no difference whatsoever. That's when he said he thought it was broken.

It's a Tasco fixed 4x32 Wide View (when you look in it it's like a Letterbox Tv instead of the round circle most scopes look like).

What do you think?

HEY Marrucaso

IF HE PAID 200.00 FOR THAT SOMEBODY SEEN HIM COMING AND SUCKER PUNCHED HIM WITHOUT HIM KNOWING IT!!!

THATS THE SAME SCOPE I PUT ON MY KID'S B.B. GUN!!!

DON'T GO ANY CHEAPER THAN A LEUPOLD,WHEN YOU GET A BETTER GUN PUT THE LEUPOLD ON IT,YOU CAN'T BEAT THE GUARANTEE!!!

YOU WON'T GET ONE FOR 199.00!!!

PUT ANOTHER 150.00 WITH IT AND ENJOY!!!

THEM CHEAPER SCOPES HAVE A HABBIT OF FOGGING UP,DON'T LET THE SCOPE COST YOU A BIG BUCK!!!

THE ONLY bobcat WONDERING WHY SOME PEOPLE PUT JUNK SCOPES ON HUNTING RIFLES???

Thanks Bobcat, I went to Cabela's online, and they have a Leupold VX1 for $219. Is that their bottom rung scope? Do you think it may have problems fogging, etc...?

I don't know if he got sucker punched or not... I wouldn't doubt if the scope is over 20 yrs old... Maybe it was good then.

The guy at the range recomended scopes by Burris and Bushnell... I also noticed Nikon makes scopes... What do you all think about those?

M.

I would also recommend the 3-9x40 leupold. Reasonably priced and I think the best warranty out there. Not to get off the subject, but I have a pair of 12x50 gold ring binocs and dropped them while hunting this year. Totally my fault. I sent them back to Leupold with a letter stating what happened and in under two weeks, they sent me a brand new pair, no questions asked. There may be better optics out there, but when it comes to customer service and a warranty, Leupold is top notch.

I had a similar experience with Leupold. A week before the elk opener I had accuracy problems and suspected the scope (turned out to be something else). I called Leupold and told them my dillema. I sent the scope to them and they tested it, found no problems, and sent it next day air to get it back in time for me to sight in and use it on my trip. I was told that if there was a problem with the scope they would have sent me a loaner to use while they repaired it. No Questions asked. By the way, in my neck of the woods you can find a Vari-X II 3X9X40 on sale for about $200. In any case, don't skimp on the glass!

You will not do wrong with that Leupold, but you might be able to find a bit better price. It is pretty much the same scope as the old Vari XII. That thing was bulletproof. Another great scope in that price range is a Burris Fullfield II, or a Bushnell Elite 3200 is supposed to be pretty good too. The Burris has the same unconditional warranty as Leupold.

You may want to consider a Nikon scope. In terms of clarity, they are pretty good for the money.
-Raptor

Go with the Nikon Monarch 3x9 by 40mm. they cost less then the Leupold, but in a test they were rated superior to Leupold in clarity and light transmission. In fact they were rated up with the German Zeiss and swarvoski scopes. They also have a lifetime warranty. I have used a Nikon for over 15 years and installed then on friends rifles. I have not heard anyone having to use their warranty for any repair, I cannot say the same for Leupold.
You should find a Nikon Monarch for around 250.00-300.00 if you shop around. If You can not spend that amount, you would want to look at the cheaper versions of leupold or Weaver.
The Weaver is in the price line of the Bushnells and Simmons, but is a better scope for the money.

RELH

Amen to the Nikon corner!! The Leupold Vari X I is not that good optically. Yes, they are OK, and tough. But, for $200.00 plus dollars, you can have a LOT more scope!!
Nikon Monarch, Buckmaster
Bushnell 3200 or better yet 4200
Weaver Grand Slam
Are all better scopes, optically speaking. IE, better glass/coatings.

The only Leupold I would recommend is the Vari X III. And they are on the long end of $350.00 or more. And then I would go all out, and get the Zeiss Conquest. Best scope in it's class right now.

Lots of good options out there. Do yourself a favor, and take a day and go and look at some of the new scopes out. Make the sales guy take you outside to look through the scopes in lowlight situations, if possible. Stacking is the best way, if you can.

I think you can get a Nikon Monarch 3-9x40 for about $239.00 at the Optic Zone.

Rangercon;

You and I have a serious problem. We may upset the "Die in the wool" Leupold fans out there. Something like comparing Chevy to Fords. I expect that we will receive some very "Nasty grams" for our comments about Nikon scopes. My Father-in-law used to buy only Leupold scopes for his Weatherby mags, but he purchased a Nikon after blowing the crosswires loose on two Leupolds. That Nikon is still in use after 15 years.
I feel that Leupold is riding on their name today, and has allowed other scope makers to catch up to them and even surpass them in scopes that are priced equal or lower then Leupold. They are a good scope, but they are not the great premiere, or cure all that alot of Leupold fans believe they are. They do not allow the hunter to get the "most bang for his buck" as Nikon and Weaver does.
RELH

REHL, I surely dont mean to offend anyone. I spend a lot, maybe too much time doing scope comparisons. I BUY 4-5 scopes a year, of all makes, review them, and then sell them at my friends gunshop.
Iam a optics geek for sure.

Concerning Leupold, all one has to do is look at the new VXIII and you can see that the Zeiss Conquest has changed the midranged scope market. The new VXIII is virtually a Conquest clone.
Fast focus eyepiece.
Finger turrets, plus they are "pull ups"
Supposed better glass/coatings.
All the features that the Conquest has, and that Leupold has changed because of success of it. (Conquest)
However, the biggest change Leupold could have made, they didnt.
Still use wire reticles. Why not laser etched reticles...like the Conquest??

I give Leupold the praise they deserve. They were the standard for a long time. Tough, repeatable adjustments, great customer service.

Almost everybody got better. The VariX line stayed the same.

But, I like to think that we, the hunters/shooters, are the beneficiaries of all these new changes. Leupold will now strive to get better, as will Zeiss, Nikon, Burris, Weaver. And we win!!

To further clutter the playing field, US Optics has a hunting scope line now too. IOR from Romania, Pentax, and some of the others we mentioned earlier, makes it hard to pick a scope these days, or say one is better than anougher.

Rangercon:
Do you have an opinion on the 3200 Elite? I have a 4200 and like the clarity with the Raingard feature and I am looking for a scope for my son's 300 win mag. I am looking to spend $200-300. He likes the rangefinding recticles as well.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-20-04 AT 04:39PM (MST)[p]bigbull1, I have seen the 3200, and I "think" it had the firefly lit reticle. I liked it, but I think the 4200 is a better scope.
Does the 4200 come with a range finding reticle?? I didnt think they did. Not sure.

The most user friendly range finding reticle, in your price range is probably the Burris Full Field II with a Ballistic Plex reticle.
http://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles.html

I have never used one, and dont know how you feel about Burris, but the one I looked at was pretty nice.
Bear Basin has a special running right now. A 3-9x40 FF II, Ballistic Plex reticle for $189.00

http://www.bearbasin.com/catalog.htm#burr_scopes

Some like choclate, some like vanilla, and some like Burris, and some dont. But, unless your son can handle a mildot reticle, maybe he can, the Ballistic Plex is a good buy.

If he can go with a mildot recticle, then a Sightron scope would be well worth a look. They are a super buy, to say the least.

I apologize for high-jacking this mans thread.

Rangercon;
I do not feel that you have hijacked this forum thread, you have shown to me that you have a very good expertise on scopes. We need persons on this forum with expertise in different fields relating to hunting, firearms, shooting, hunting gear in order that a person making inquiries can get a honest, fact based answer.
I have a good basic knowledge of scopes, but no where near your level. I guess that makes you the scope Guru for this forum, so stick around and impart your knowledge to other members when they need good advice on selecting a scope.
Now if we can find that guy/gal that knows all the "honeyholes" for big game animals, and get him/her to confess all, we will have it made !

RELH

That Guy/Gal that started this thread is me. But I've changed my user name to Ozstriker22 due to login difficulties.

It's funny this post came up again... Guess what I ended up buying last October?

The Burris Fullfield II with the Balistic Plex from Bear Basin!!! I paid $189 for the Matte finish. Hold off on buying, though, because mine included a FREE 20x50 mini Burris spotting scope too! It's great for the range.

I couldn't be happier with the Burris. Ever since I bought it I've been telling people what you've just said about Leupold. They got us here, but they're not the best anymore! They rely on their rep instead of on their quality. And people DO use their warranties. If a Leo was $50 more than a Burris WITH THE SAME CLARITY AND MULTI COATED LENSES I'd buy it for the reputation. But it's not. The same quality Leo is almost TWICE the cost of the Burris. A burris FFII is on par with a Leo VXIII.

The VXII costs $60 more than the Burris FFII, but the VXII only transmits 87% of the light that enters it and the Burris transmits 95%!!! That's a pretty big difference. You wont even notice in the store, but take that puppy out 10 minutes before legal shooting time ends and you'll notice. BTW 95% is the same transmission as the Nikon Monarch.

Check out this website:
http://www.burrisoptics.com/fullfield.html

I just got a 300 win mag, so I'm saving up for either a 4600 or a Burris Signature series.

Thanks for replying!

M.

Thanks for the kind words. Iam willing to share my limited knowledge with anybody and will tell you my opinion, if I have one.

I have been fortunate to have had some real optics pro's helping me along.

I will be posting a reticle adjustment thread this week in the shooting forum. A must read!!
A optics expert puts optical terminology in laymens terms for us, and shows us the "right" way to focus a scope.

rangercon!
what about the LPS Leopold scopes? How do they match up to other high end scopes? I own both(LPS's) and I am very pleased with them!
I also like them better than my ZEISS ZM!
I feel Nikon are lower end!

Rangercon:

My 4200 has a standard recticle with no firefly. My son was impressed with a Shepler? with a set of rangefinder circles for the chest cavity for common big game. He witnessed a guy put down a nice elk at 601yds with one shot from a 7mm mag with the Shepler. I went with 4200 for the clarity and the rainguard, as I couldn't find a nice muley in my old fogged scope many years ago, as it was snowing heavy. I spend many hours at the range, and feel very comfortable knowing my guns ballistics. My son , who is fulltime college student, and works full time, spends little time at the range- and I'm thinking a rangefinder recticle might be the ticket for him now.

I appreciate you sharing your wisdoms on scopes. I try to talk to all the optics guys at the hunt shows, but each has the best scope-hands down. Thanks again...

Rackmaster, I have a little experience with the LPS. I shot a friends .300 Win mag, that had a LPS on it and it was very good.
Lots of tacticle shooters/BR shooters like them. Very rugged, repeatable adjustments, etc.

If I were to get anougher scope in the LPS's class it would be a US Optics ST-10. You can get one standard, for about the same price as an LPS. Actually a little less.
While the ST-10 is a fixed and the LPS a variable.
Do you have the mildot on your LPS, or duplex??

The ST-10 comes with a front focal plane mildot, the LPS is rear.

Never the less, the LPS is a super scope. Many very serious shooters swear by them. It may seem that Iam not a fan of Loopies, but Iam. I just like other scopes a "little" better.

Nikon scopes are a great buy, for the money. A 3-9x40 Monarch for $239.00 and change??? They do seem to have a "tube effect" though. Like your looking through a tunnel. Some people have noticed this, and others have not. Maybe the small ocular lens.

bigbull, that was a Shepherd scope.

http://www.shepherdscopes.com/

They are funny. I love the concept of the reticle, but I think they could be better optically. (Glass/coatings quality)

Very tough, very user friendly, kinda expensive.

Iam more than a little wishy-washy on them. People either love them or hate them. NOT a good take to the range scope!! Due to the reticle design.

RANGERCON:
Both only come in duplex! Wish the 3.5-14 had a Leupold dot! Because its more like Zeisses #8 a bit heavy for long ranges!
The 3.5-14 is on Remington .300 ultra mag I hardly use in fact never hunted with(to heavy),2.5-10 is on a Weatherby .257 mag ultralite thats the gun I most when I deer and lopes. The .300 was bought for Elk however I never hunted Elk yet someday though.
RACKMASTER

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom