Torn between unit 141 unit 34 and region G deer

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
Well not sure what to do and the days are winding down. I pretty much know what I'm getting with region G but would love to talk to anyone that has personal experience on unit 141 and unit 34. Please PM me if you wouldn't mind talking about these units. I would love to talk over the phone if you would be willing.

I was in the same boat and have decided to throw 12 points at unit 34. I’ve never hunted G or 141 but have antelope hunted in the area of 34. Everyone says that if you want a big buck, stay away from 141 and 34 and hunt G. Good luck in your difficult decision making process.

I would have to agree that there are a lot more top tier bucks harvested in G than the other units in Wyo. Not sure if G has as many top bucks as a few years ago but there is always the chance?

Hi Schoolhouse,

Im in your same position this year....

What unit did you go with last year, and how did your hunt go?

Thanks!

brookhunter

I went with 34. I'm telling you now go with 141 you're going to have a way better chance at an upper end buck. I will post a video of my hunt in 34, just give me a minute.

Cool Video. Cats, then a very sleepy buck... But why shoot the buck off the cliff? LOL!!! From what I have seen that is about par for 34. My buddy has drawn it twice, always took a decent buck but never seen a monster. He keep hoping. Honestly we have killed bigger bucks on the general more... It is neat neat country and a fun place to hunt.

Trolling members and posting comments that are only meant to get a fight going will not be tolerated. Needs to end.
Cool Video. Cats, then a very sleepy buck... But why shoot the buck off the cliff? LOL!!! From what I have seen that is about par for 34. My buddy has drawn it twice, always took a decent buck but never seen a monster. He keep hoping. Honestly we have killed bigger bucks on the general more... It is neat neat country and a fun place to hunt.
Is it a fun place to bait?

Schoolhouse,

We need more guys like you on these forums!

Thanks for taking the time to video, edit and post your video of your hunt!

You are willing to give honest feedback plus post videos of your hunts.

Good luck this Fall!

Brookhunter
Thanks,I truly appreciate the compliment. Good luck to you as well!

Region G is a highly competitive hunt if you are ok with that. It’s got good bucks but LOTS of hunters in every high alpine basin so you’re apt to see Lots of hunter orange and lots of shooting and competition.
If you have the money check out a large private ranch south of Evanston managed by R&K hunting company where they take quite a few 180 bucks and a few 190s each year. It is managed professionally for trophy quality and they produce but it will cost you. It is in Region K and I think the rifle hunts are 10K price range. It would be an enjoyable hunt as low hunter numbers, all private and great food/lodging. If you can’t afford that I’d go for area 128 and expect a mid 170s buck. Area 34 is way down at current.

141 is way way down currently. That segment of Region H took it hard a couple winters and is in a big lull, a snails crawl back up. I was in there from the middle of August to the last week of October last year. By the time October 1 rifle opener came around, I still hadn't found a decent buck. Drainages that once held +20 bucks in 2016, where holding 2 or 3 young bucks only. Knew 9 other tag holders and some were wishing they had just gotten a general tag so they could've hunted the Wyoming Range early. The big cold snap at the end of Oct. produced a few bucks, but lots of tags filled on young bucks migrating through. For the amount of pref. pts it takes a NR to draw, I think you'd be better off going general G, H, or a different area.

Hey Brookhunter, I agree with Schoolhouse. I had the 34 tag in 18 and have hunted in surrounding areas over the years. I don't doubt there is big deer in there but they sure seem rare. the largest I had heard of was in the 170's. It doesn't seem to make much sense, I don't think they are overly pressured. Be happy to help if you have questions or if you do draw the tag, its a fun area to hunt...

SHG, I read all the posts before I watched the video. Awesome video, and awesome you put the time and effort into making it, , and then shared it with us!

Big bull you didn't have a tag for - typical. :) Cold temps. Getting stuck. That's the way hunting goes. But you got to spend good time with family and friends and in the end, you were successful.

Thanks for sharing!

BTW, what was that in your kid's hand? It was around 1:45 in the video I think.

SHG, I read all the posts before I watched the video. Awesome video, and awesome you put the time and effort into making it, , and then shared it with us!

Big bull you didn't have a tag for - typical. :) Cold temps. Getting stuck. That's the way hunting goes. But you got to spend good time with family and friends and in the end, you were successful.

Thanks for sharing!

BTW, what was that in your kid's hand? It was around 1:45 in the video I think.
Looked like a buzz worm tail..

Brings back memories for me as well
I’m the one that checked on your tent to make sure everything was still up lol

8F2E2658-FB68-4395-9C6F-B735E4EC57AB.jpeg
0B1B4840-207E-48CE-B0E8-9B23027E7FD7.jpeg
9061C714-557C-4DE4-8632-8BCF4677454E.jpeg

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom