Totally didn’t see this coming

Lukegarrett2002

Well if you ever enjoyed shed hunting Alcatraz legally, it looks you’ll probably never get to again. Pulled out the same excuse last year and I bet they will do it next.

804D8ED1-1870-46F3-BCBD-DA0EF2529759.png

Well ain’t that a b that sucks other than the poaching of sheds from people that laws don’t apply. It would be an interesting experiment how animals thrive on sheds being left to degrade and produce carbon for future plants. I really feel like this is part of the decline on mule deer population around the west. Animals shed on winter grounds antlers left to return to the soil soil producing high protein feed for animals. I love picking up sheds but can’t help but figure it’s a determent to the animals we love to chase.

Live right by the island. Never go there. It never appealed to me to pay money to race guys on horses while on foot to find some sheds….

Best of luck to those who live for the AI antler clown fest.

Saying that banning shed hunting would be good for the animals, and do more good than banning cameras, on a thread that is about not allowing shed hunting because they want to protect animals is random how?
I just say this, a comment about how shed hunting in general should be banned wouldn’t have crossed my mind before posting this tread.

You can wander all you want blue…we know your intentions are harmless…but as soon as you show up wearing a flatty and skin tight pajama camo….you’ll be considered a threat?
I have a flatty from the wrestling team. My kid got it for me so I could look like the cool dads. I only wore it to the big tournaments though, I promise.:cool:

I can’t remember ever owning a pair of pajamas.:cry:

Well ain’t that a b that sucks other than the poaching of sheds from people that laws don’t apply. It would be an interesting experiment how animals thrive on sheds being left to degrade and produce carbon for future plants. I really feel like this is part of the decline on mule deer population around the west. Animals shed on winter grounds antlers left to return to the soil soil producing high protein feed for animals. I love picking up sheds but can’t help but figure it’s a determent to the animals we love to chase.
Yeah... not so much. The content of antlers is primarily calcium. Not something in short supply. A decaying antler is not contributing protein to the food chain. Just isn't happening. If there was any protein in them... they'd be consumed immediately by animals.

So, can I still go to the state park and just wander around?
This is what kills me! I get giving the animals some time to breathe, but if it’s that big of an issue shut it down to everyone. Or make laws that make a bit more sense. For example time shed season with Turkey season in Co… me hiking miles off trail on April 9th illegal to touch an antler but 3 weeks later it’s cool. I still tromped all over wintering grounds and disturb whatever was there 3 weeks prior

This is what kills me! I get giving the animals some time to breathe, but if it’s that big of an issue shut it down to everyone. Or make laws that make a bit more sense. For example time shed season with Turkey season in Co… me hiking miles off trail on April 9th illegal to touch an antler but 3 weeks later it’s cool. I still tromped all over wintering grounds and disturb whatever was there 3 weeks prior
yep. Picking up and putting an antler in a back pack does not put much stress on the animals. Hiking around the hill and being stupid does.
This is the story of the most stressed I have ever seen a deer.
I was watching a big deer from the top a a big canyon. I was 500 yards above him and he had no idea anyone was in the same canyon. Just lying down with a few other bucks. All of a sudden the bucks jumped up, stood nervously starring down the canyon for half a second and then bolted up the hill. I was like WTF happened, and then the sound got to me. Some one had turned a couple of hounds on a lion track a mile down the canyon and they were baying up a storm. Sadly that buck died that winter, was it stress? hard to say. HnHrdr is right, if we are going to get serious about not stress wildlife places need to be shut down to everyone.

yep. Picking up and putting an antler in a back pack does not put much stress on the animals. Hiking around the hill and being stupid does.
This is the story of the most stressed I have ever seen a deer.
I was watching a big deer from the top a a big canyon. I was 500 yards above him and he had no idea anyone was in the same canyon. Just lying down with a few other bucks. All of a sudden the bucks jumped up, stood nervously starring down the canyon for half a second and then bolted up the hill. I was like WTF happened, and then the sound got to me. Some one had turned a couple of hounds on a lion track a mile down the canyon and they were baying up a storm. Sadly that buck died that winter, was it stress? hard to say. HnHrdr is right, if we are going to get serious about not stress wildlife places need to be shut down to everyone.
I will say lion hunting probably saves more deer hunting than it harms. Lion numbers have exploded in parts of Co and the deer numbers in those areas have suffered big time

Why don’t they just ban the lions from killing deer? That would make so much sense
Need to talk to the C U next Tuesday state senator from Boulder and see if we can get a senate bill lined out that would ban lions from killing deer. Going to start the DLM movement ( Deers Lives Matter) or if I really wanted to poach BLM (Bucks Lives Matter)

3 years in a row... Means next year there should be a pile of antlers out there to pick up. I've never been for the shed hunt before, but I spend a lot of time there watching and photographing deer and other wildlife. My avatar for example...

What's odd is- if its about young sheep birthing cycles, why not just postpone it until June or something.? :LOL:

What's odd is- if its about young sheep birthing cycles, why not just postpone it until June or something.? :LOL:
Because you see after they are born they are still around you know trying to survive. If anything they should do it in late Oct.

I remember one year on the shed hunt seeing the sheep and Buffalo running all over like crazy. Had a ram run up to us exhausted. I’m surprised no one has been stomped by a Buffalo yet on that hunt

Yeah... not so much. The content of antlers is primarily calcium. Not something in short supply. A decaying antler is not contributing protein to the food chain. Just isn't happening. If there was any protein in them... they'd be consumed immediately by animals.
So I’m not very smart but bones are made of calcium and collagen. Collagen is a protein that makes the structure. Plants need an assortment of of things npk being the most what they use but yes antlers do provide protein. Calcium is a great supplement for growing heathy plant.

So I’m not very smart but bones are made of calcium and collagen. Collagen is a protein that makes the structure. Plants need an assortment of of things npk being the most what they use but yes antlers do provide protein. Calcium is a great supplement for growing heathy plant.
Any source of nutrients to anything from a shed is negligible, for instance people give antler to dogs and it doesn’t really help them at all. Go out and find a old chalky horn on the ground and tell me if the grass is greener around it.

Rookie, the grass is always greener around sheds. FFS luke did you not download chang’s antler e book? Did you pull your phone out at the expo, opened the e book and have Chang sign your phone screen?

Rookie, the grass is always greener around sheds. FFS luke did you not download chang’s antler e book? Did you pull your phone out at the expo, opened the e book and have Chang sign your phone screen?
Grass grows quicker in the spring around sheds because of the warmth from the shed's heat absorption from the sun.

Sheds on the dry island decay so fast.......................ha ha ha

Because you see after they are born they are still around you know trying to survive. If anything they should do it in late Oct.

I remember one year on the shed hunt seeing the sheep and Buffalo running all over like crazy. Had a ram run up to us exhausted. I’m surprised no one has been stomped by a Buffalo yet on that hunt
I'd love to be out there shed hunting in October. (y)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom