Tough Early Rifle Hunt

Founder

Founder Since 1999
My boy has the early rifle hunt for here above the house and it was his first year of no 4-point success. I think we only saw a handful of yearling bucks total.
He still ha the regular general season to hunt, but I was surprised we didn’t see a single 4-point.
We really didn’t even see a lot of deer period.
Did any of you find it to be better or worse than years past?

Muzzle loader hunt was very slow with a lot less bucks out and about. Very few large bucks being out and seen. Seems that with it hot and dry they just stayed off the tops and down in the canyons and lower benches after they were pushed by all the bow hunters. Very little grass on top in the openings and sage flats. Most of what we found were that they were eating acorns and there was more of them off the beaten paths and in the heavy oak cover. They seemed to just stay in the oak brush during day light.

Last edited:
Between the heat and the moon, I think a lot of deer were moving at night and hitting the cover early. That's what we saw down in So Utah. Not a ton of bucks out. I'm sure the pressure from the muzzy (single shot rifle) hunt one week before has some effect as well.

Although my hunt ended very well, it was the worst year I have seen on the Pine Valley unit in the last 10 years. Really sad.

So?

Founder Sr Can't Find Jr a 200"+ Buck in TARDville?

Kinda Nice going to Wyoming & Colorado where at Least You know Some Survive Ain't it?

Good Luck to Jr!

Founder, I am the guy that was at 5 Guys that you met back during the Utah muzzleloader hunt. We have a habit of stopping in there for a good burger after a hard hunt. We were not hunting far from there so you know the general area we was hunting. It was tough this year to find a good buck. We seen 17 bucks opening day and 6 bucks on the morning of the second day which is half the number of bucks we seen in 2014 and 2015 in the same area. The deer that were in the bed of our truck were the two best deer we seen. The deer were holding in the thick of the thick and not moving much. I have never seen that mountain so dry. We seen a few better bucks when we was scouting. Even though the deer numbers are down, I still don’t think Utah general deer hunting is all that bad. It has been good to me and my hunting buddy over the last seven years. We work hard and keep realistic expectations on what we will be happy with pulling the trigger on with general tags. It was nice to meet you and good luck to your son on filling his tag on a tough year.

Founder, I am the guy that was at 5 Guys that you met back during the Utah muzzleloader hunt. We have a habit of stopping in there for a good burger after a hard hunt. We were not hunting far from there so you know the general area we was hunting. It was tough this year to find a good buck. We seen 17 bucks opening day and 6 bucks on the morning of the second day which is half the number of bucks we seen in 2014 and 2015 in the same area. The deer that were in the bed of our truck were the two best deer we seen. The deer were holding in the thick of the thick and not moving much. I have never seen that mountain so dry. We seen a few better bucks when we was scouting. Even though the deer numbers are down, I still don’t think Utah general deer hunting is all that bad. It has been good to me and my hunting buddy over the last seven years. We work hard and keep realistic expectations on what we will be happy with pulling the trigger on with general tags. It was nice to meet you and good luck to your son on filling his tag on a tough year.
It was good meeting you too. We were looking for a buck like one of those you guys took. We just couldn't find one. We probably should've gotten up there and scouted some, rather than just showing up opening morning hoping for the best.

Pics or it didn’t happen!

dogdoc, let's see your buck. I agree, worst year on Pine Valley in years.

4F7E88C3-B993-42C3-B92A-0A0F92A20898.jpeg

How about some photos of those two bucks in the back of your truck. :)

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom