Tough going so far in 9

nmyotebuster

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-13 AT 01:51PM (MST)[p]Needed to recharge my batteries both figuratively and mentally so sleeping in my own bed tonight, and hugging my kiddos but will be back at it Saturday morning through the 15th, So i thought I would share so far.

Been hunting first archery elk in unit 9 and needless to say it has been ROUGH. We chose to put in here because the lack of getting drawn down in the 16s the last 3 years, and the close proximity to home makes Momma a little happier too.

Putting in ~6 hrs each morning, and another 4 at sunset and have yet to see even a rump running away in the distance.

Though we have seen every other hunter on the mountain ( at least three times, as many drive right up to the tank you so carefully hiked in half a mile to, in an attempt to keep scent down and noise activity away ).

I think Mt Taylor is sponsored by Polaris as there are RZRs and Rangers EVERYWHERE! I too use an ATV, but as a way to get to a spot then hike in, not to check the middle of a meadow that has NO OBVIOUS ROAD DOWN THE CENTER, BUT LET'S DRIVE THERE ANYWAY!!!!

Now with that off my chest. I Have gotten close twice on turkeys, but need about 10 more yds to take what I feel is an ethical shot.

It has rained just about every day, with Monday's squall dropping what had to be around 2" in less than an hour near lunch time, destroying one of my tents, but so it goes.

About 1/2 of the tanks have water, and those that do are swarmed by guys hoping to catch a break, but all we are seeing are bovine prints and very little elk sign.

No bugling yet ( really at all ) and it is weird to not even hear hunters trying their best locator bugles all hours of the day as they drive around and around in their trucks.

Low flying airplanes and helicopters show up now and then, and you hear the grumbles from other folks that it is the LOs trying to herd the animals. I would hate to think that is happening, but I have yet to even see one elk.

Very disheartened at the moment, but sure beats the heck out of working!

Here's to those still out there trying to get it done. I will see ya in 36 hours! Right after I put the reminder on my calendar to apply for the 16s again next year.

NMYB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

Good luck and keep pounding it! And you're right - I'd rather be in unit 9 right now than at my desk. Keep us posted...

Same thing happening all over that unit apparently. I've done the same "hard work" (physically yes!)but have yet to even bump an elk. Hiked game trails, bush, glassed off escarpments, and have yet to see anything. Good luck and stick with it. Defiantly better than work!

Amazing the beauty in this state. Pic taken at a little above 10,500'

620820_10151664590523727_542488374_o_zps12729035.jpg

No roads into that area, and I still think I am going in on Sat.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

seems like a lot of places are tough...just talked to one of my buddies that has been in unit 10 and has seen the rear end of one cow as it was going the opposite direction...i was down in 16C and 21 over the weekend and not a peep, nor an elk...i was deer hunting and only saw two deer...it was a lot warmer than usual down there by at least 10 degrees, this time of year it's usually in the low 70s but it was mid 80s last week...

Nice picture - beautiful country for sure. Here's a few of my pics from that area a couple years ago. I can't offer any advice because I don't have any! My hunt was cut short due to my dads health. I mean real short. Share more pics if you got 'em! I like seeing that country for sure.

5755100_1677.jpg

2017100_1667.jpg

7870100_1664.jpg

Sorry to hear your hunt was cut short:

A little moisture never hurts...
178427_10151665159573727_621190565_o_zpsb08646d7.jpg

So green
1074030_10151592518173727_1770395049_o_zps94a60f5b.jpg

Lil bit o heaven
1268672_10151665160738727_666216919_o_zpsbdeb4482.jpg

Where is he now? ( found while scouting 3 weeks out )
1072392_10151592523513727_1107555732_o_zpsbafbabef.jpg

Hope you have better luck when you head back out. My cousin killed a small 5x5 this weekend in Unit 9. He said a lot of the same things you did about the hunt but was able to finally connect.

Back from 4 more days in unit 9. Heard my first bugle last night at 7:55 ( 7:57 was shooting light ).
Left today to come home to get some more food and kiss the Mrs.

Due to the DOWNPOUR happening out there I know there won't be too much missed in the 36 hours I am away. I have never seen anything like this. It started this morning at 6AM, and when I left at 2PM, it was still coming down like gangbusters.

I expect to see them lining up 2x2 when I return walking to a big boat.

No elk, no deer, 1 miss at a turkey who busted me, and sauntered away at 65 yds.

I will be back out thurs - Sun.

This is my toughest hunt in 20 years in NM. Starting to doubt I even know what an elk looks like.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom