Tracking Elk/Deer

970_lly

First off I have my own ideas and criteria on this subject, but I’m really curious as to what other people think. Here’s the question, if you’re on a hunt in country that’s conducive or efficient to track elk and/or deer (ie. thick PJ country, flat country, minimal water, minimal glassing, etc.) what are you looking for in tracks? By this I mean what are you looking for as far as track width, length, stride length, shape of track, etc. for each species? We will assume we are targeting “mature” animals, and obviously you never know what’s on their head but we will say you’re targeting solid 6 points bulls or bigger and solid 4 point bucks or bigger.

IDK about elk. Prothero always posited that a 4" track was a monster muley, but I've never crossed a track that long. I've killed a few mature bucks and their tracks were in the 3 3/8" to 3 5/8" range.
Walk logging roads and trails when it is moist in early summer and you'll catch the odd track crossing the path that is defined enough to really measure. It'll let you know what's in the area.

Woah guys calm down! ? would I get more interest/response if I mention Utah deer numbers in here? Maybe muley freak?

I think track length is determined somewhat by the terrain they live in. In soft sandy soil they get longer because they don't get worn down as much. I know I've seen photos of deer hooves down by fredonia that were freaky long. They reminded me of a womans super long finger nails. I've never personally seen tracks that long.

The depth of the imprint can give you an idea if you are dealing with a heavy bodied animal or not. This changes according to the type of ground but you can compare them with other tracks in the same area.

As far as stride length I've never used that to determine the size of a deer because it changes so much depending on what they are doing at the time which is always changing. Maybe I'm overlooking something there.

Where I live and hunt in New Mexico I don't look as much as the size of the track, but more at the depth. The big mature bucks here seem to have a much deeper track. It is larger as well usually, but our mature bucks have real big bodies and you can usually, not always, but usually tell by how deep his tracks is compared to others. I don't track much though even though it is a good practice here. I prefer to see animals first and be able to properly judge them. Hard to judge a buck or bull as they come charging out of their bed in thick cover. It's also hard to get a good shot in most of these situations. It does work, I just don't spend a lot of time doing it like others might.

Big deep tracks with dew claws, elk or deer gets my interest. They will have some space between the hooves.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom