traditional archery start up help

freaknasty

So I'm not particularly new to this area of archery but not well versed either.
so If anyone can help out much appreciated.
so I have a Wing archery 54" T-2-957 AMO 40X #
is this bow strong enough for mule deer?
I know its all about shot placement and such just a wondering if its a little under poundage.
This bow is in very good shape. I will post some pics in a few.

My advice is to go as heavy as possible on the arrow/broadhead. 700+ grains. I have found that heavier the better if weight/power is suspect.

My first bow kill on a whitetail was with a 36lb Wing bow in 1979. Your poundage will kill, heavy arrow suggestion is good. Also Cut On Contact broad heads ONLY

good luck brother

What is your amo draw length? Makes a huge difference as to what poundage will actually be on your fingers and how long the power stroke is.

If your draw length is 29 or 30", that thing will start to stack hard and the poundage could go up into the mid 50" which at that draw length will have lots of momentum and KE to kill elk as well.

If your draw length is 24" it could be an issue even for deer.

Getting your technique to give a near perfectly consistent draw length is one of the most important things to strive for. This is so that whatever your energy and speed, it's the same all the time so the arrow flies true for better penetration.

I come from the target recurve game more than hunting recurves, but the principles are exactly the same.

In any case, they are super fun to shoot, but you need a thick skin to weather the days when the wheels fall off. Have faith !!! You can be a little better with every practice day even when you're struggling.

Cheers, Pete

Update
So I took my bow in to the pro shop (Hot and Miss Archery) here in Albq and Cody spent some time with me and we changed a few things and what a difference it made.
I'm totally confident in my equipment now. I'm practicing diligently and my form and ability is well improved.
I will keep you posted good luck to all.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom