Traditions sabot bullets

S

studpile

I just tried some Traditions 250 grainers in my .54 on top of 100 gr of Pyrodex RS. Excellent grouping and minimal recoil, busted a gallon jug at 150 yds. I am going to try them with a little more powder and see what happens. I haven't seen much about these bullets, but they are quite good. FYI

Studpile
I have been lurking around this sight for awhile and I think I have you figured out.
Did you happen to draw a vernon tag ? and are you hunting with your brothers wife?
If this is you I will get your movie back next week.

Damnit, I can't seem to get rid of these people following me around. Yes, you know where to find me Bud, see ya in a few days.

studpile: Are you shooting through a chronograph? If you are you will find some interesting data about the load you are talking about (previous and future). I would recommend that you go to a heavier bullet in the range of 350 to 360 grains and top off your powder where you get the best performance from the bullet (shot group). A gallon milk jug is pretty big and busting one may not be the best indicator of how well that bullet/powder combination is shooting. You can bust a gallon milk jug with a 22 Hornet.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-04-02 AT 08:24PM (MST)[p]I haven't chrono'd it at all. I was looking for a smaller bullet to gain a little speed. I wasn't really bragging about busting the jug, I just meant that I ought to be in the vital area at 150yds. Shooting iron sights, I didn't think it was too bad of a shot, considering the front sight about covers the jug at that distance. Would you have a general idea on how fast that is traveling?? I've only put this load on paper at 40 yds., but it looked real good.( two shots about 1/2" apart ) When I go back out, if it doesn't perform well at 100yds, I'll consider bumping up the lead. Incidently, my barrel is an old Green Mountain 1:48 twist, on top of the old CVA sidelock. I want to keep as traditional as possible, at least with the equipment. Thanks.

studpile: You're probably in the range of 2,000 to 2,100 fps with that combination. It is really hard to give you an accurate answer because I don't know if the barrel has been lapped or how "slick" the barrel is. Also, it will make a difference in velocity depending upon what powder you are using; i.e., Pyrodex S, Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex 777, regular blackpowder ffg or fffg, Clear Shot, Clean Shot, etc. See my point?

The barrell is still in it's infancy. Maybe 100 rounds through it at the most. I'm shooting Pyrodex RS, your fps data gives me a general idea. Thanks bluelk.

studpile: Have you lapped the barrel? If not look back through my Muzzleloading 101 posts (if they're still around) and I give you the method for doing this.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom