Tragic News from Africa

M

manny15

I recieved this Email From Jim Shockey"

A friend of mine (Jim Shockey) was killed in Tanzania while I was over there hunting. Bobby Fontana was one of the best outfitters here in B.C. and in the Northwest Territories. He was my age and was as capable and smart as they come. It puts into perspective that indeed not even the best at this game are good enough. I knew Bobby on a professional basis, as a fellow member of the Guide Outfitters Association of British Columbia and from the various hunting conventions and shows over the years. Bobby even taught me how to play Blackjack in Las Vegas.

Here is the story as it was told to me by other Professional Hunters (PH) I spoke to when I came out of the bush to catch the flight home. Take it for what it is, a third hand account.

Bobby and his African PH, another top hand, were checking for lesser kudu tracks around a waterhole in an area near Lake Natron, Tanzania, an area that harbours some notoriously nasty Cape Buffalo. The Masai warriors harass the buffalo there because the buffalo trample and eat the maize crops. The two of them circled the waterhole and were actually on their way back to the truck, walking along the same trail they'd just walked down to get to the pond. Near as I could understand, the buffalo charged them from 18 feet, where it had been standing hidden in the long grass. Supposedly it knocked the PH down before he could do anything and then slammed Bobby. It got on top of Bobby and dropped to its knees like they do and crushed him into the ground with its boss. The PH shot once and the buffalo ran off. Bobby suffered head injuries and died instantly. They had not found the buffalo by the time I left Tanzania a few days later.

It could not have been avoided, but there were reports that the PH was carrying only a .375 H&H instead of a big double and also there were rumours that he had a misfire or two for some reason, but no doubt that is all speculation and rumour.

It is a very sad time for Bobby?s family and for the hunting world. We'll all miss him and send our deepest regards to his family.

I have also heard reports of another lady hunter, the wife of a well known hunting booking agent, who was gored by a Cape Buffalo in Tanzania at or around the same time we were there. I won't say any names until I confirm one way or another that it happened. I have heard however, that she is OK and recovering in the hospital.

I'm told that I don't have as much space as last time, but ended up taking up more space, so I'll have to go now or my hard working staff will fire me! See you up on the mountain!

Always aim high and shoot straight!

Man, that sucks. Sorry for the guys family, and his friends. At first, from the way you wrote the story, it seemed as though Jim Shockey himself was killed.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Thats what I thought, Fontana was killed about a month ago in Africa. When you put(Shockey) in the beginning of the story it seemed like that was who was killed.

Drum

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-04 AT 07:56AM (MST)[p]He was one of the Best and will surely be missed. It would be nice if some of the Hunting Mags like Trophy Hunter would do a tribute to him.
069729.gif

>Thats what I thought, Fontana was
>killed about a month ago
>in Africa. When you
>put(Shockey) in the beginning of
>the story it seemed like
>that was who was killed.
>
>
>Drum

Yea that's what got me too
I was sitting there goin "huh?"

-Cass

Sorry for the mix up boys I meant to say a friend of Jim's...
you gotta love the game to put your life on the line for it..SAD...hope his family is doing well with all this...I know what it feels like to loose a loved one who lost his life for the love of the game.....Manny'

>you
Well Look who crawled outa the whole he was hiding under
Welcome back Oldoregon.

-Cass

I'm sorry Cass. :p Now you've got me all feeling guilty like I shot a yearling coyote for no other reason than he was just standing there. }>

Hell of a way for ole Bob to leave the party. Sounds like he led a pretty enviable life.

Very tragic indeed!
As Peter Hathaway Capstick said in his book, Death in the long Grass,
B+LS=F Meaning "Buff plus Lousy Shot equals Funeral". Only in this case it doesn't sound like they even got the shot off in time.
Steve

The man spent his whole life in the mountains in pursuit of his passion. BCTV News actually did a great tribute to him this summer. It was cool to see a station that leans towards the granola cruncher crowds do a honorable tribute which put hunters and hunting in a very positive light.
069729.gif

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom