TRAIL-CAM QUESTION FOR Niller & OTHERS???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
So?

I Know Where There Are A Few Trail Cams Set Up In Some Quite Remote Locations!

Some Are Branded/Initialed!

Some Of Them Have Been There For Several Years!

A Few of Them Have No Cards In Them!

I'm Thinking a Few of Them Had The Batteries Go Bad Years ago!

Several of Them Are Not In Lock Boxes!

Just Wondering What'd Be The Proper/Right Thing To Do This Coming Fall When I Hike In To Them after Trail Cam Season Is Closed & They are Still on the Tree's/Posts?

The Law Officials Are Not Gonna wanna Hike Back in to some of These Places,They've Got More Serious Issues To Take Care of!

So?

Can I Legally Take Them Down?

Can I Legally TUNE Them?

Can I See What a 600 Grain Bullet will Do To Them?

Can I Collect Them?

Or What Would The The Ethical Way To Deal With Them?

Take Pictures Of Them & Post The Pics On MM Maybe?

Your Thoughts?

What State? Is it one where Trail Cameras are no longer allowed? IF so, I believe its ethical to remove and donate or turn in.

Trail cams are not all out banned so remember that when you're thinking of a "tune up" or taking them. Law enforcement are the only ones who can determine or try to prove those cameras are being used in the aide of "taking". Don't get yourselves in trouble because you "think" you know what they are there for. Your assumptions mean absolutely nothing in a court of law. And don't try to pull the "well they're abandoned". Still not your call or decision to make. Does that make a camp trailer, tent, or other camping equipment left for a day or several on forest land abandoned and free game? Same thing. All are property and all belong to someone else. It's against the law for you to try to stop someone from speeding on the interstate. Just because you're mad about something doesn't mean you get to take it into your own hands. I would dare bet that those that are caught damaging or removing cameras are going to be in more trouble than the guy that has them hanging on a tree. My suggestion would be report them if you feel they are illegal and let the ones who can legally do something about it take care of it. But we all know there will be the tough guy out there who will say and will damage someone else's stuff because, hey, they are a self appointed bad azz.

I wish trail cams were like rv’s on forest property.
After 14 days they must be moved.

Technically, they are. At least that's what a head Forrester told me once regarding a treestand over a water hole.

Last edited:
So?

I Know Where There Are A Few Trail Cams Set Up In Some Quite Remote Locations!

Some Are Branded/Initialed!

Some Of Them Have Been There For Several Years!

A Few of Them Have No Cards In Them!

I'm Thinking a Few of Them Had The Batteries Go Bad Years ago!

Several of Them Are Not In Lock Boxes!

Just Wondering What'd Be The Proper/Right Thing To Do This Coming Fall When I Hike In To Them after Trail Cam Season Is Closed & They are Still on the Tree's/Posts?

The Law Officials Are Not Gonna wanna Hike Back in to some of These Places,They've Got More Serious Issues To Take Care of!

So?

Can I Legally Take Them Down?

Can I Legally TUNE Them?

Can I See What a 600 Grain Bullet will Do To Them?

Can I Collect Them?

Or What Would The The Ethical Way To Deal With Them?

Take Pictures Of Them & Post The Pics On MM Maybe?

Your Thoughts?
If it’s not yours leave it alone.

Technically, they are. At least that what a head Forrester told me once regarding a treestand over a water hole.
yup. after 14 days its liter. i packed a camp out of a wilderness area one year that had been there for years. left it at the trail head right next to the dumpster for the lazy ass horse hunters. who knows if they got to it before the forest service

Check the abandoned property laws. Some places, 30 after report and its yours. I have had blm officers tell me that once its attached to blm property its fair game.

yup. after 14 days its liter. i packed a camp out of a wilderness area one year that had been there for years. left it at the trail head right next to the dumpster for the lazy ass horse hunters. who knows if they got to it before the forest service
Does that apply to outfitters? There is an outfitter by my place that leaves his tents up in the wilderness area year round.

So with this going to be a hot topic here in a few weeks. I just talked with a lawyer.
•You may not use any trail camera (or non-handheld device) in the take of big game, cougars or bears—or to aid in the take of big game, cougars or bears—between July 31 and Dec. 31. •The rule applies to public and private property. •The rule prohibits the sale or purchase of footage or data from any trail camera (or non-handheld device) that could be used to take, attempt to take, or aid in the take or attempted take of big game, cougars or bears. That includes images or video, location information, time and date of the footage and any other data that could aid in the harvest or attempted take of big game, cougars or bears.

Vanilla can probably add some light on this.

So say I don't have a license for my unit so there for it's legal for me to run a camera.
But what if somebody else is hunting that same area with my trail camera and they get stop by the DNR officers can they legally write you up.
His answer to that was well do you have enough money to fight it or do you have proof its not yours.
Now if you harvest over that camera the way its wrote in the law your in trouble, your camera or not they will use that against you unless you can prove you have no ties to that device.
Meaning you don't know the owner at all and have never had any contact with him.
He told me I would stay away from any cameras to save the trouble.
So if that is the case I have a lot of cameras in a lot of my hunting spots if they are not pulled by August 1.
I will be sending the Onx locations to the DNR to have them come remove it Because they are used for hunting especially when you have tree stands and ground blinds all around these cameras.

Last edited:
Does that apply to outfitters? There is an outfitter by my place that leaves his tents up in the wilderness area year round.
if he truly leaves it up year round in a wilderness id be pretty sure he just hasn't been caught doing it yet. id defiantly let the forest service know the location and let them sort it out

if he truly leaves it up year round in a wilderness id be pretty sure he just hasn't been caught doing it yet. id defiantly let the forest service know the location and let them sort it out
Yeah I understand it’s work getting stuff in and out on horses but when you are charging 7k a guided hunter, I think you can manage to take your stuff out of the woods, kind of kills the ambiance seeing giant piles of dirty canvas lying around

So with this going to be a hot topic here in a few weeks. I just talked with a lawyer.
•You may not use any trail camera (or non-handheld device) in the take of big game, cougars or bears—or to aid in the take of big game, cougars or bears—between July 31 and Dec. 31. •The rule applies to public and private property. •The rule prohibits the sale or purchase of footage or data from any trail camera (or non-handheld device) that could be used to take, attempt to take, or aid in the take or attempted take of big game, cougars or bears. That includes images or video, location information, time and date of the footage and any other data that could aid in the harvest or attempted take of big game, cougars or bears.

Vanilla can probably add some light on this.

So say I don't have a license for my unit so there for it's legal for me to run a camera.
But what if somebody else is hunting that same area with my trail camera and they get stop by the DNR officers can they legally write you up.
His answer to that was well do you have enough money to fight it or do you have proof its not yours.
Now if you harvest over that camera the way its wrote in the law your in trouble, your camera or not they will use that against you unless you can prove you have no ties to that device.
Meaning you don't know the owner at all and have never had any contact with him.
He told me I would stay away from any cameras to save the trouble.
So if that is the case I have a lot of cameras in a lot of my hunting spots if they are not pulled by August 1.
I will be sending the Onx locations to the DNR to have them come remove it Because they are used for hunting especially when you have tree stands and ground blinds all around these cameras.
That is ridiculous to expect hunters to stay away from trail cams. They only put them in the best places to hunt…so that isn’t really an enforceable option. It also isn’t my responsibility to inform anyone about cameras, it is the camera owners. If they are there after the deadline, it’s on them. If their cameras “disappear” or get damaged, it’s also on them.
Also, the purpose of taking game has nothing to do with unit or whether you have a tag or not, the reason the cameras are out there is “for the purpose of taking game”, current “purpose” or not…and if it is for your buddy or you.

Although I Don't Have a Nice LEZBARU Like Big Wiff Does!

I'm Only Taking Nature Pictures!

Don't F with My Trail Cams After July 31st!

I like a badass on here who tries to spook people to not take the cheap Chinese plastic box. It’s a piece of trash you left in the woods

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom