Trail cam restrictions bill

Why is it "proposed legislation". It's not like anyone actually follows legal procedure to make a law anymore. All you need is some self proclaimed potentate to say it is now law and sign something and tell the subjects they must comply or incarceration will follow. Hasn't these new governments forged from the Kung Flu taught you anything?

Wow. Someone is grumpy.

I like this proposed law. I think it strikes a good balance. I wonder what the enforcement mechanism is after July 31? Is it a crime to leave it out? Misdemeanor? I’ve seen some proposals that state any camera left out after the deadline is considered legally abandoned property. You think shed hunting became popular...think about camera hunting starting on August 1st! Some proposals call it litter after the deadline and subject someone to those penalties.

I think it’s that all transmitting cameras must be removed by July 1 and all other cameras must be removed by the time any standard big game seasons start (Aug 1 most years).

I looked up the Nevada law. It is very similar to the Arizona proposal but the dates are different. Otherwise, it appears just the same.

The enforcement side of them seem problematic.

I'm sorta surprised they didn't turn this into a revenue thing by selling a stamp or something. Like a second rod stamp.

I like the thought of banning them all together. A lot of these big animals that get killed would probably never get seen, let alone killed if not for trail cams. I for one like seeing them after the hunts are over.

I think it's a perfect Ban! you can run cameras from january 1st through July 31st. after that you are breaking the law. I do feel that after July 31st any cameras in the field should be considered abandoned property and anyone who finds them should be able to remove them. I doubt many people would leave their cameras out if they knew that people legally could remove them.

I had an idea this was coming via an important friend of an acquaintance and I am excited to see it finally happening. It'll piss off the outfitters I am 100% sure of that but cameras during hunting season have gotten out of hand. I honestly think it is a great move and needs to pass.

SO how do you get ticketed?

Does the GW have to sit at a camera and wait to see who collects the memory card? Do you have to have a trail camera in your possession, like in your back pack? How do they bust people?

Does the GW have to sit at a camera and wait to see who collects the memory card? Do you have to have a trail camera in your possession, like in your back pack? How do they bust people?

That’s the biggest problem with a law like this. It’s going to be very hard to enforce without other mechanisms in place.

One could be declaring them legally abandoned after that date. Letting the public police it would incentivize people to remove them, especially in high traffic areas. Trail cam guys could increase their arsenal of cameras exponentially by collecting the other 11 cams on that same water hole the day after the ban goes into effect.

The other could be the tag requirement. Any trail cam needs a tag attached and it will be registered to a person. If seen after the selected date, a ticket goes to the registered owner. If no tag, it’s litter and/or abandoned property. (As mentioned above, this could be a $$$ generator for the state. If a guy has 150 cameras out, that will be an investment.)

I think they’re hoping for voluntary compliance on this rather than having to take drastic enforcement measures. Luckily for them, the vast majority of outdoorsmen believe that following the laws is part of being a responsible sportsman, and they voluntarily comply. There will be those individuals and outfitters that don’t because for whatever reason, they think laws don’t apply to them. And those idiots should get hammered.

"They put a trail camera watching yours. Duh. "

So if I happen to stand by a trail camera and the GW trail camera takes my pic I get mailed a ticket??? So if the GW trail camera actually does get a pic of the camera owner how does he know who that person is? Doesn't really sound like effective law enforcement.

"They put a trail camera watching yours. Duh. "

So if I happen to stand by a trail camera and the GW trail camera takes my pic I get mailed a ticket??? So if the GW trail camera actually does get a pic of the camera owner how does he know who that person is? Doesn't really sound like effective law enforcement.

Skepticism kills.
How about game cams have to be registered, just like guns...they know who owns what, and where they live.
So. Like when you run the red light and your picture is taken = you are sent a ticket.

I remove them, black plastic trash left in the forest. There supper easy to find in Utah, just look for the apples.You ask how do you enforce it easy, you get caught or turned in you loose your license and all tags for that state for the year. That will stop it!

".You ask how do you enforce it easy, you get caught or turned in you loose your license and all tags for that state for the year. That will stop it!"

So when I run across a trail camera I call the game warden and say , "hey I just found Hawkbill's trail camera" and bam you don't get to hunt anymore. You are right. That is easy. What happens when people start planting trail cameras and then just telling the game warden it belongs to so and so or Joe Sixpack? Pretty soon people figure out they get entire areas to themselves to hunt and poor Hawkbill is just sheet out of luck because he wanted something "easy".

You forgot Hawkbill takes the trash out of the forest, he doesn’t leave it. Come on up to Idaho and try some of your old Texas tricks

"You forgot Hawkbill takes the trash out of the forest, he doesn’t leave it. Come on up to Idaho and try some of your old Texas tricks "

Well the world does need trashmen and ditch diggers too. You are two comments in a row of pure foolishness.

hawkbill
I like your style and support you 100%
Tristain makes no sense. His logic is so far off it’s ridiculous!

".You ask how do you enforce it easy, you get caught or turned in you loose your license and all tags for that state for the year. That will stop it!"

So when I run across a trail camera I call the game warden and say , "hey I just found Hawkbill's trail camera" and bam you don't get to hunt anymore. You are right. That is easy. What happens when people start planting trail cameras and then just telling the game warden it belongs to so and so or Joe Sixpack? Pretty soon people figure out they get entire areas to themselves to hunt and poor Hawkbill is just sheet out of luck because he wanted something "easy".
We finally agree on something

HELL SAKES!

90% of the Time the JOKER Checking the Card does not Own the Cam!

You gonna Cite somebody that won't Claim it's theirs?:D

So how does Nevada enforce it?
It’s been in place a couple years now and I don’t know of any cases that were prosecuted (I don’t follow all that close though). I will say that certain water holes that had 10-20 cams on them in September two years ago, are now barren during that same time of the year. That’s undoubtedly lessening the pressure those areas saw in the hot time of the year from people going in and out to check their cams. Seems like it’s worked for the most part, you’ll always have crybabies like the one on this forum that scream conspiracy and overreach. Can’t make everyone happy but if it’s good for the wildlife I’m all for it.

Yep. Compliance is something the vast majority of us will do. That’s what responsible citizens do: follow the law. But because there are still bad apples out there, there is always going to be a need of a hammer.

Texashammer.jpg

Here is a link to Nevada‘s game camera law.
Any cameras left out during the closed period should be taken down one way or another.
I plan on legally running a few cameras this year. I will definitely take them down before August 1. If for some reason I don’t get them down and someone else destroys them or takes them so be it.
If law-enforcement can enforce these restrictions great! If not I think sportsman can’t be faulted for taking matters into their own hands.
Any cameras that remain between August 1 and January 31 I need to come down.

So what happens when I am walking around after August 1 and I find a camera. I decide to take the camera down. Now I am walking around with a camera in my backpack and the game warden checks me. Am I in trouble for possessing the camera?

You can make up hypothetical situations till your face turns blue. Comply or don't. Most laws in this country can have holes punched in them if you look hard enough, that's what the judicial system is for. You've stated on here more times then I can count that it's not our job to act as judge and jury when you have so gracefully defended accused poachers, why the double standard now? Leave the law translation to the judges.

SO after all that emotional blabbering am I supposed to assume when I get caught with a camera in my pack I will be standing before a judge.

There isn't a double standard yet. You just haven't slowed down to read.

Why not just register them just like you have to register any traps you set out?
I'm ok with that, but what about taking the pressure off during the rut? Something needs to be done in AZ. They could also start enforcing the rules about camping on waterholes.

It just blows my mind there are some people who would even try to have a honest conversation with tristate. He reminds me of a 9 year old with all his "what if" bs. Just face it he's smarter than everyone else.

So what happens when I am walking around after August 1 and I find a camera. I decide to take the camera down. Now I am walking around with a camera in my backpack and the game warden checks me. Am I in trouble for possessing the camera?

Yeah - you are in trouble for stealing, and possessing an illegal camera ya corndog. WTF.

It just blows my mind there are some people who would even try to have a honest conversation with tristate. He reminds me of a 9 year old with all his "what if" bs. Just face it he's smarter than everyone else.

At this point I'm convinced he'd argue the color of the sky. I'll give him credit, his ability to contort any topic into a discussion where he portrays himself as an expert regardless of his actual knowledge, any available facts, and pure emotion is quite impressive.

Tri, actual question that I'm sure you won't answer. The trail cam regulation in Nevada went through the proper steps to become an actual regulation. This means there were numerous opportunities for public comment from county advisory boards all the way to the actual board of wildlife commissioners meeting where it was ultimately decided upon. Those who care enough to be involved in the process have the opportunity in one form or another. In all there was very little opposition and overwhelming support. Do you consider the overall sentiment of the immediately impacted user group to be flawed? Or, since those affected seem to, in general, support the reg (in Nevada), do you just consider them mindless drones who are willingly giving away their rights to an overbearing government entity. What would have been your ideal resolution when this regulation was initially proposed?

I am a resident of Nevada and the vast majority of us support the game cam regulations weather we run cameras or not.
In the 50+ years I’ve been hunting I have never had a game warden check my pack.
And I do a lot of hunting every year!

In the shadows, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE OVERALL SENTIMENT IS.

You Can't even tell what my sentiment is. You make a dumb assumption and think I am against this regulation. In reality I am trying to figure out how it is actually enforced. I want to learn about the law, not just get on here and talk sheet like half the posters, AND YOU, on this thread.

I ask questions and all I get are jack wagon answers from people so anxious to get offended. Slow down. Shut Up. Wash the sand out of your vaj. Read thoroughly and then just give a straight answer.

???;)
Incorrect. You throw out every hypothetical you can come up with to muddy the water and nobody's answers to your questions will suffice. Keep it up though, the entertainment value is gold in these times. I love that you told me to shut up, it actually made me laugh out loud. Hope you're staying safe!

Why not just register them just like you have to register any traps you set out?
This could be a good idea If it was a simple process that didn’t involve a lot of red tape and overwhelm the staff of the game departments.
I’m not a trapper so I’m curious how the process goes and
are there registration fees on traps?
If cameras were required to be registered I think they should have a number on them that is easy to read from a reasonable distance. That way if they were left up in violation anyone could write the number down or take a picture then report them to law-enforcement.
The problem is there aren’t enough law enforcement officers to go out and check every possible camera location or every reported violation.
As you know a lot of these water sources that cameras are placed on can be in very rough and remote areas.
For the most part I believe camera users will comply with the regulations.
But for the ones who don’t,
I personally don’t have a problem with other methods of controlling camera violations as long as litter isn’t left out on our public lands.
As far as legal use of game cameras during non hunting season periods goes lm ok with it.
If they are operated legally no one should be removing them or vandalizing them.

I think all trail cameras should be illegal on public land 24/7/365 in all states. If you want to use them on your private property that is fine with me. I also think that “posse” guiding and hunting should also be illegal. How many spotters with two-way radios and cell phones does it take to kill a trophy buck or bull?

I was fortunate to draw a 12B West Late tag several years ago and hired a well known guide service as I would be flying out from the east coast. The outfitter was annoyed that I didn’t want to hire a few extra spotters for additional money. I hunted 1 on 1 with a great guide and ended up killing a 190” deer on the 8th day of a 10 day hunt. I enjoyed the actual daily hunting much better than having some spotter find me a big buck on the first day.

There has to be a limit as to how much technology is allowable and trail cameras seem to get more invasive year after year. Imagine if there was good cell service on the Strip; outfitters would be getting text messages on their cell phones with real-time pictures indicating the exact location of individual deer. Our struggling mule deer herds throughout the western states need to have the hunting pressure reduced.

You honestly think they will start issuing more tags on the strip if this law passes. I sure don't.

I don’t think he’s saying if you restrict trail cameras there will be an increase in tags on the Strip. He’s saying that if the question surrounds the need to kill less deer, that he’d prefer to reduce our efficiency over reducing our opportunity.

I know some won't like this but I'd be all for banning them completely on public ground. Period. Then you'd have no time enforcement issues. If you see one anytime it's illegal. Forest service, BLM, state ,etc should have the right to confiscate them.

Arizona Game and Fish rolled out over a hundred on public land for the Mexican Wolf Restoration Project. Trail Cameras have been used and are going to be used in Arizona for many years to come.

I don’t think he’s saying if you restrict trail cameras there will be an increase in tags on the Strip. He’s saying that if the question surrounds the need to kill less deer, that he’d prefer to reduce our efficiency over reducing our opportunity.
I don't think banning trail cameras will result in a lot less bucks being killed. Maybe a few but not that many. It will result in less specific bucks being targeted, which many people out there seem to think this isn't fair to the deer but in the end, the hunters will end up shooting a different buck anyways.

Arizona Game and Fish rolled out over a hundred on public land for the Mexican Wolf Restoration Project. Trail Cameras have been used and are going to be used in Arizona for many years to come.
And so does Utah, I've seen a lot of cameras out there that have UDWR in black sharpie on the camera. So are people going to start stealing government property. Who's to say that average joe doesn't start putting UDWR on the side of his cameras to keep them from being messed with?

Thats what happened in Idaho, the radical wolf lovers put trail cameras on every trail head, so did the Feds, so did the Fish and Game and Joe Hunter. So if that wasn’t enough,they would put cameras watching cameras watching cameras. As far as I’m concerned none of that crap belongs in the forest, it’s trash. Anyone that is on this thread knows how out of control it is, evan the guys that put out hundreds of cameras.

Why all the discussion on enforcement? Every law can be broken and not passing good laws because they could be difficult to enforce while assuming that so many hunters are law-breakers seems to be a pessimistic perspective in which to view hunters and a poor way to enact wildlife legislation.

There are plenty of hunting laws we need to take off the books and make legal if ease of enforcement is a deciding factor.

Why all the discussion on enforcement? Every law can be broken and not passing good laws because they could be difficult to enforce while assuming that so many hunters are law-breakers seems to be a pessimistic perspective in which to view hunters and a poor way to enact wildlife legislation.

There are plenty of hunting laws we need to take off the books and make legal if ease of enforcement is a deciding factor.

The question for me isn’t “ease of enforcement” as much as “ability to enforce.”

If we have a law on the books we know is impossible to enforce, I don’t want it on the books. Difficult enforcement is a different issue, and I’m okay with that. If we have no way to feasibly enforce a law, however, then it shouldn’t be a law.

Just my opinion on the matter.

I know some won't like this but I'd be all for banning them completely on public ground. Period. Then you'd have no time enforcement issues. If you see one anytime it's illegal. Forest service, BLM, state ,etc should have the right to confiscate them.
I have thought about that also and I would support that idea however I don’t see it happening because of all the money there is in Camera manufacturing and sales.

Looks like this is may be up for debate again. Possible baiting and trail cam bans are being proposed this week.

The woods,mountains, deserts and all wild places should be natural and void of man made objects, we just ran a jackass drone pilot harassing wildlife and people off the Idaho forum. I agree outlaw cameras and drones off all public lands. Plastic crap in the forest. I will keep throwing them away! Do some real hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom