Trail Cameras - Seeking Advice

bjn7f0

Greetings fellow hunters. I'm in the market for some trail cameras and would like some feedback on what brand and models you like. I don't want cheap cameras or high end cameras. I'm afraid of theft on the high end cams. Also, no wifi cams as the areas I get into are too remote. I'm looking for mid range cams that are durable and take good pictures. Something that I can take out and leave in the field for a couple of months. I noticed the Cuddeback are quite a bit higher in cost than other manufacturers. Are they really worth the extra cost?

I use Stealth-Cam G-42. They are around $100 ea. and I have several that are 3-4 years old with no problems. They are easy to use. I have had several other brands none of which impressed me much.

I run about 35 trail cameras throughout the year. I have transitioned to a lot of cell cams. I still run around 18-20 Bushnell Trophy cams. The batteries last for 4-5 months. The pictures are high quality both day and night and the trigger time is outstanding. Some of my cameras are now 6-7 years old and just keep on ticking. I wouldn’t bother with the fancier models. Look at the Essential model by Bushnell.

Browning & Bushnell make some amazing cameras take excellent pictures & wont cost you a fortune !! Do a quick google search for the top 10 trail cams , there have been tons of outdoors mags that have done a lot of research & tests . They let you know what is in the areas the cams are , a neat tool that at least gives you some cool pics

I'm a big fan of the Brownings. I just pulled 2 that spent Sept-May at 10,000 feet and they were still taking pix. Both cameras had over 2000 pix. I had Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in both of them.

I'm a big fan of the Brownings. I just pulled 2 that spent Sept-May at 10,000 feet and they were still taking pix. Both cameras had over 2000 pix. I had Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries in both of them.
This is spot on. Same here; browning, bushnell, and lithium batteries.

What megapixel size do you have the best pictures out of. I realize the higher the MP the higher the cost. How good is the quality of pictures from a 12 MP to a 16MP to a 24MP ?

24 is awesome but kinda boils down to how many pics? More pixel use more memory on the card per pic.

What megapixel size do you have the best pictures out of. I realize the higher the MP the higher the cost. How good is the quality of pictures from a 12 MP to a 16MP to a 24MP ?

The mega pixel size is somewhat a gimmick. They digitally add mega pixels to the photo without enhancing the quality of the photo. Even on my 20MP cameras I’ll run lower pixel and it’s still extremely clear and you can hold more pics on a card.
Browning and moultrie cameras have been excellent for me. Lithium batteries are definitely worth it if you can’t check them frequently also.

For work I keep upwards of a 100 cameras out year round in the Mojave desert which have captured both snow and 120 degrees days. we have tried browning, Bushnell, among a few other cheaper brands and I keep coming back to cuddeback. For the $90-$100 price point they have given me the best results and durability. I agree that megapixels are a gimmick, I run all ours on 5mp and the picture quality is great.

Greetings fellow hunters. I'm in the market for some trail cameras and would like some feedback on what brand and models you like. I don't want cheap cameras or high end cameras. I'm afraid of theft on the high end cams. Also, no wifi cams as the areas I get into are too remote. I'm looking for mid range cams that are durable and take good pictures. Something that I can take out and leave in the field for a couple of months. I noticed the Cuddeback are quite a bit higher in cost than other manufacturers. Are they really worth the extra cost?
I have been thinking about getting some trail cameras also. Curious how your search is going and if you’ve decided on which ones you like best?
Thanks

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. I went ahead and purchased some browning cams because of the selection availability on amazon. But I was leaning heavily towards the Stealth cams also.

I have about 6-8 running year round. Partial to the Moultrie. Easy to set up and I like the countdown that tells you it's working when you replace the card. Yes, megapixels are a gimmick. Look for fast trigger speed and field of view. My buddy bought a couple of Wildgame. I don't like them. Narrower field of view and I never know if it's working when I change the card.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom