trail cams

Deerlove

Long Time Member
Trail Camera Restrictions Go into Effect August 1
The Nevada Department of Wildlife (NDOW) wants remind you that seasonal restrictions on the use of trail cameras go into effect on August 1.

The regulation was adopted by the Nevada Board of Wildlife Commissioners last year. In response to the proliferation of large numbers of trail cameras being used, many sportsmen expressed a concern for both wildlife disturbance and fair chase hunting. The regulation states that a person shall not place, maintain or use a trail camera or similar device on public land, or private land without the permission of the landowner, from August 1 to December 31.

If you come across a trail camera on public land after August 1, NDOW is asking that you leave the camera alone, and call the Operation Game Thief hotline (1-800-992-3030) or an NDOW office to report its location.

Thank you for supporting Nevada's wildlife!

It'll be interesting. The last two years I've been in unit 231 for archery (tag in 2017, scouting last year, and tag this year). There are cameras on most of the water holes within 1/2 mile or so of water and they are typically still there if I go back Labor Day weekend.

I can't wait till next weekend to see if they are no longer out after the 1st. I'm almost positive that there will still be cameras on some of these spots at the start of archery.

What to do.....

>Wow. I use one to
>watch my toyhauler when I'm
>out in about. Wonder
>if it effects this?

I brought this up at a commission meeting when they were discussing this law. My point was dismissed entirely by the commission and the current chairman poo-poo'd the idea like it (I) was stupid. He discounted my claim because all a thief would have to do is steal the camera. As the regulation reads today you cannot have a trail camera out anywhere from Aug 1 to Dec 31 for any purpose. The exceptions are if you own the land or have permission from the landowner, if it is part of your job (like a game biologist) or you have NDOWs permission.

>It'll be interesting. The last two
>years I've been in unit
>231 for archery (tag in
>2017, scouting last year, and
>tag this year). There are
>cameras on most of the
>water holes within 1/2 mile
>or so of water and
>they are typically still there
>if I go back Labor
>Day weekend.
>
>I can't wait till next weekend
>to see if they are
>no longer out after the
>1st. I'm almost positive that
>there will still be cameras
>on some of these spots
>at the start of archery.
>
>
>What to do.....

It's not new. It was in effect last season too.

>>It'll be interesting. The last two
>>years I've been in unit
>>231 for archery (tag in
>>2017, scouting last year, and
>>tag this year). There are
>>cameras on most of the
>>water holes within 1/2 mile
>>or so of water and
>>they are typically still there
>>if I go back Labor
>>Day weekend.
>>
>>I can't wait till next weekend
>>to see if they are
>>no longer out after the
>>1st. I'm almost positive that
>>there will still be cameras
>>on some of these spots
>>at the start of archery.
>>
>>
>>What to do.....
>
>It's not new. It was in
>effect last season too.

I didn't know that. There were definitely trail cams in 231 on two separate springs on Labor day weekend last year.

Actually the reg defines a trail camera as one used to capture wildlife:

?As used in this section, ?trail camera or similar device? means any device which is not held or manually operated by a person and is used to capture images, video or location data of wildlife using heat or motion to trigger the device.?

So, you'd be legal using it for other purposes. And...time lapse cams are not included in the ban.

?I told my pap and mam I was coming to the mountains to trap and be a mountain man. Acted like they was gut-shot...?

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom