trailcam bummer...

mozey

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-10 AT 10:41PM (MST)[p]...it was rain turned to snow the last time I was able to check my cameras last November, and I haven't been able to check my trailcams since (it's been five months). I been climbing the walls in anticipation of what I was going to find on them. Today was my third attempt in the last 30 days to try to get to them. The good news was that snow has finally melted enough that I was able to get there. The bad news is that water got inside of one of my cameras and shorted it out the day I left it, so zero pictures in the last five months. The other malfunctioned after taking four videos (within the first two days), and also has not taken any videos/pics in the last five months. I did find one decent 6-point shed on the way out, but otherwise this was not a happy day. I may as well have been adding to my legend as the all-time king screw-up of turkey-hunting...

Dang sorry about those cam's We was looking forward to those pictures too.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I personally put a curse on anyone who post on this site about turkeys. I hope you learned your lesson and keep those dern birds to yourself. I think tomorrow I will post the pictures from my last lizzard hunt. Oh JOY!

This will be your only warning mozey. I'm only kidding and mean no harm. Now keep those nasty birds outa this wholesome family site and we will get along fine ok lol

ego participate in Monasteriense muleys proinde ego sum bardus (I participate on monstermuleys therefore I am stupid)

Hope your camera is not damaged. Were you able to set it up again.

Guys must still have a pile of snow.

Stinky, if we had some fishing around here maybe we would not have to play with the turkeys.

I cant understand why we can do pretty well with the other animals and the turkeys own us.

lol, lesson learned stink. I promise not to talk turkey again until I kill one, which will probably be the same day that Obama nominates the great sinkystomper to start drilling ANWR... ;-)

Lesson two--trailcams are only waterproof if you don't open them while it's raining...DUH. I do think I got the Moultrie to start working again so it's still up there.

I had to bring the Stealthcam out. After I cleaned it up a little, it turns on and takes pictures now, but I still can't program it or get it to swith from its internal memory to a SD. I think there's still some water damage under the key pad. Hopefully it will fully recover after I clean that out. Otherwise, I've got a free Stealthcam IR Prowler (retails at about $340) for anyone that thinks they can fix it...

Tiny is good, considering I'm packing those things in several miles. That's why I have to give them a serious look. That, and I've heard some good things. Do you have any examples of pictures or videos you'd be willing to share? I'd like to see how the pics compare to my Moultrie.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-17-10 AT 08:37PM (MST)[p]>Anyone on here ever tried the
>new Bushnells that are about
>the size of coke can?
>

I have had the Bushnell since it came out & it takes great pics & the batteries last along time. I have 2 Scoutguards which are built by the same company & have taken 4ooo + pics on the batteries. Have had them for a little over a year & on the second set of batteries on each . They have been in the field year round.

I did not know the connection to Scoutguards--thanks for that. My buddy has a Scoutguard and I like it alot. I'm probably going to own a Bushnell before the week runs out...

There are a bunch of new cameras coming out right around the corner.

Including some true "black flash" versions that are under $300.

I would guess some of the older models drop in price when some of these new ones come out. If you can wait a month or two there should be a bunch of new options out there.

www.chasingame.com is the monster muleys of trail cameras.

Here's a rundown of the new stuff coming out - http://www.chasingame.com/index.php?id=136

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-10 AT 01:32PM (MST)[p]natchez shooting supply has the 2009 model bushnells on sale right now for 129.99 . Their website is natchezss.com

Another good site to get the run down & reviews of the different trail cams is trailcampro.com

Ya I own a Scoutguard camera too and have a buddy who has the Bushnell Trophy cam. Both are excellent cams. I really like the camo version Scoutguard. Its really small and blends in so well it seldom noticed. That alone is its own security.

Thanks guys, for the good info. I've used chasingame.com before when I decided to get the I-40 and the Prowler, and my buddy decided to get his Scoutguard. After three years, other than the occasional white out, I've had very little to complain about with the I-40. The Prowler has some really nice features, but has also had some problems, and some bad luck not its fault; I had to send it back to the factory twice just to get it to work right before I could even put it in the field. Then once I put it in the field, a bear bit it and clamped down the auxillary power jack which effectively shut the camera off, until my father-in-law was able to figure out why it wouldn't turn on. Then I was dumb enough to allow rain to get inside it. I still think it's a good product, but being the way that I am, I generally need all my equipment to be a little more idiot-proof.

The only complaint my buddy initially had with his Scoutguard was finding a compatable camera that we could use to view the pics in the field, but problem now solved on that too.

I feel a Cabelas run coming on...

I agree with trailcampro.com they are fast and reasonable.I also have both the bushnell and the scoutguard and would chose the bushnell over the scoutguard if for no other reason I don't have to make sure I bring the programing attachment

>Hope your camera is not damaged.
> Were you able to
>set it up again.
>
>Guys must still have a pile
>of snow.
>
>Stinky, if we had some fishing
>around here maybe we would
>not have to play with
>the turkeys.
>
>I cant understand why we can
>do pretty well with the
>other animals and the turkeys
>own us.

Paul i swear turkeys are the smartest animal on earth. they are so smart that they act stupid all year long just to make us think they are dumb birds. then come april 15th they show just how smart and devious that they really are. it amazes me each year!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom