transfer controlled hunt tag to a youth hunter

idelkslayer

What is everyones thoughts on this?

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/media/viewNewsRelease.cfm?newsID=6339

This will allow a parent or grandparent to transfer a controlled hunt tag to their child/grandchild who is under the age of 18.

I don't think this is a good idea, we provide youth hunters plenty of opportunity that adults don't get. they can shoot mule deer does in most units and they can hunt both the A and B tag for elk in their zone. The ability to transfer tags will give them signficant advantage in controlled hunts. If we can't keep dead people off the voter polls, then how do we prevent someone from using the hunting license of a deceased grandparent to enter drawings for tags.

Am I wrong/overreacting to this?

tell me what you think.

Well, that would be considered fraud, so the penalty is in the books already. Your concern is legitimate, but I think you have to consider the good outweighing the bad. If we aren't going to have a point system, then for the love of the God, let's allow a kid a better chance to hunt when they are in that age where they are establishing their hobbies and learning values.

Also, what is the law currently about buying a license for someone else? Perhaps make that process more stringent, like you have to buy it in person, with an ID? That's perhaps a stretch, but an idea...

Or, only a person less than 18 years old can have another person buy a hunting license for them. 18+ and you have to buy your own license.

Yes you are overreacting. There are always people who will cheat. Considering this only applies to relations(gradparent:parent:child) and those under 18, the pool will be too small to make the difference between you or I from drawing our tag.

Of course I wish it worked the other way, my 13 year old might be sitting out his bull tag for the sake of good old dad!!!!

This is BS

So what you are doing is giving every kid 3-4 times better odds to draw a controlled tag as anyone else. It's bad enough the way the system is set up now how you really only have a chance to draw one selection

Thank goodness there are other options out there. If this passes it will only be a futile attempt to generate more lost revenue

Give the non residents a point system and the money will fly in guaranteed.

+1 Nitis

As I understand it, this has already passed. It appears to be another way to generate revenue, i.e. give the parents and grandparents who no longer buy hunting licenses a reason to "get back in the game".

Landowners in 45 transfer tags every year. They give you thirty landowner tag if you pay for access. That's worse in my opinion.

IDF&G should have mirrored the Oregon program. If I read the regulations correctly, a kid can only be in the program one year and cannot hunt big game until 12.

They should have let kids under 12 hunt big game (tag (general or drawn) transfer from Mentor)and let them in the program more than one year.

As written, if I take an 8-year old bird hunting one fall, the same kid cannot hunt the next fall. Stupid.

I'm not concerned about the tag transfer from parents and grandparents. Statistically, it will be a non-event.

The landowner tags every state gives landowner tags that are resold at rediculous prices. So you can't compare that those always have and always will be rich mans tags

against the entire lot of new rules listed. kids have way to much as is . hunt like the rest of us. once they turn 18 most will quit because they won't be able to shoot anything that moves. and i also agree all the retired hunters will come out of the woodwork and lower our odds of drawing a good hunt. it's all for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This is an excellent rule.I have a 12 year old son I would gladly transfer my tag to.I geuss everyone against this rule would never give their tags away. That would probably change if you had children of your own.
I know a gentleman that always complains about the opportunities that the youth get over everyone else and how its not fair and kids are no different than any of us.He also always complains that his kids dont visit him and his grandchildren dont like him and hes always alone at christmas and nobody calls him on his birthday and wonders why after his wife divorced him he cant find a woman and why he hasnt had any tail in 12 years.He just doesnt realize hes a SELFISH ###HOLE and deserves what he gives, NOTHING.
For those of you who dont like this rule did you think of the opportunity that would give the kids to draw for moose, sheep, and goats if grandma and grandpa put in for those tags and mom and dad put in for deer, elk, and antelope.That should really piss you off.
The landowner tags that the SAME people BUY every year and get to hunt the best units year after year without even having to wait the mandantory 1 year wait like the RULES say you have to is a bigger problem than this.Take those tags away and put them in the REAL CH tag drawings and you will have way better odds for everyone.The L.A.P is a crooked program and needs to be abolished forever.

Heyzeues

You are spot on a kid could have mom and dad and 4 grandparents and possibly great grandparents and maybe even step parents and gandparents applying for all kinds of tags for them to use

Don't let fish and game fool you it's not for the kids they are just trying to recoup some of the money they keep losing by running off non residents money

Us non residents are begging you to take our money but you won't do it give us a point system and applications will double or triple minimum

As it stands now I only apply in Idaho when everything else falls through because of where the apPlucation period falls. If you threw me a point each year like Nevada does I will drop cash there every year and my odds will be worse then they are now but I will still send my money

Im on the fence with this one. With two young kids getting ready to start hunting. Its great for them and myself. If i didnt have kids id be pissed.

I just don't get how the math, in reality, is an issue. Not many grandma's with licenses, and most of them in Idaho will have more than one grandkid. Not many Dad's and Grandad's that don't have an interest in hunting for them selves that would be willing to go out of their way just to screw YOU out of YOUR tag.

The conspiracy theories and selfishness on here seems a bit high.

The extra income here is not enough to be a factor, nor will enough additional applications come in to noticeably reduce your odd's. Down to 4.8% from 4.95%......

IF Fish and Game wants to increase revenue and stick to you whining residents, I would add a BP system and guaranty them 10% or even more of the tags.

Other than the option to take a DOE, what exactly is the great advantage we are giving our Youth.

SO I think this is just a way for them to try and help out the kids.

Disagree. I know plenty of moms and grandparents that have licenses that do not hunt any longer. Take 1) mom (2 grandma 3) grandpa and that equals 3x more opportunity to draw. That equals 6.25 per person per controlled tag fee and 12.75 x3 per person for a license. Your already at $57.00
Estimate for each child between the ages of 12-18 (215,000 kids x $57.00) in Idaho has 1 mom and 2 grandparents is a revenue of $12,255,000.
Now this is a very rough estimate, but you get the idea. It will bring in $$$.
Personally, i know I would implement my childs grandparents, whom of which have hunted in the past, to help my kid draw a tag.
Do I agree with doing that? No. But if its law, why not. And they will.
This has nothing to do with being what you called 'whinning residence' or being 'selfish'. Its wrong. Plain and simple. Kids should have to earn it just the way everyone else has. What are we teaching them? If you use the system against itself, you can get ahead?
I learned to hunt, not by killing the animals myself, but being out with my parents/grandparents while they were hunting. Watching them, learning from them, then, when it was my turn in general hunts, i worked hard like they did and was successful. It teaches patients and hard work. I dont think these kids learn anything by giving them handouts. Just my opinion of course.

I will say that I have two sons not yet old enough to hunt and I still oppose this rule. I find that even the most interested youth hunters don't understand or fully appreciate "trophy tags" and "once in a lifetime tags" because they are still in the stage of just wanting to kill anything.

And when they grow up they look at the trophy on the wall and say 'yes I killed that monster 330 inch bull when I was 14, but I'm more proud of this 280 inch bull I shot last year'.

I definitely believe that non-hunting and/or retired-from-hunting grandparents will be entering drawings with the sole purpose of transferring tags. This rule is obviously a way to get license and drawings fees from people who don't hunt anymore.

It would go a long way towards pacifying my opinion if Moose, Bighorn and Mtn Goat were excluded from being transferable.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-26-12 AT 03:46PM (MST)[p]+1,000,000 dreamin !!!!

i have already conversed with to two guys i work with who are allready recruiting granny and gramps and there wives ( all previous non hunters) to buy licenses and put in for moose draws for there kids. it would burn my backside for some kid to draw this when they have 7 chances to my one. and i have been trying on and off for 39 years !!! here is another issue now it gives the guy who bends the rules one hell of an opertunity . put in your non hunting kids app. + now the non hunting wife and grandparents odds skyrocket. it is illegal but you can bet your paycheck it will be going on a lot........

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom