Transport elk meat

S0047sm

I have a New Mexico elk hunt this fall. I will be flying there but was wondering if anyone can let me know how to have meat an antlers shipped home.?

I have a New Mexico elk hunt this fall. I will be flying there but was wondering if anyone can let me know how to have meat an antlers shipped home.?
Freeze meat and pack with dry ice in a cooler duct taped shut. Crate up your antlers and use cut up pool noodles on the antler tips to prevent puncturing the box and/or breaking

That's some good advice. If you want to save a lot on shipping, cut the skull plate down the middle and lay the two sides together. The box will be about 1/3 the size.

The ice chest is the best for meat. As for the antlers, maybe the pilot will you let strap them on the hood. :ROFLMAO:

I have had three caribou racks flown home from Canada & Alaska with my baggage by a couple different airlines, but that was more than 25 yrs, ago.

At the time, no crate needed. The accepted way was to cover the sharpest points by duct taping shorts pieces of rubber hose to each & wrapping the CLEAN skull plate in heavy paper, cloth or thin foam such as carpet padding. I also taped a 1"x2" piece of wood from one antler side to the other antler side, but you can use about any rigid rod or even a straight tree branch. It not only provides a handle of sorts but also keeps the rack from flexing enough to break the skull plate.

You can also split the sides & nest & tape them together to make it more compact. I've done it with deer antlers so I could pack them in a duffle easier. Best way is to cut down the middle with a saw about 3/4 of the way & then break the last bit. That'll make matching them up for the right spread angle easier down the road.

And yes, you will be dinged an extra fee, usually about the same as an extra bag.

Now...all that said, things might be different today so your mileage might vary. ;) Best bet, call the airline you'll be using & ask.

The ice chest is the best for meat. As for the antlers, maybe the pilot will you let strap them on the hood. :ROFLMAO:

I have had three caribou racks flown home from Canada & Alaska with my baggage by a couple different airlines, but that was more than 25 yrs, ago.

At the time, no crate needed. The accepted way was to cover the sharpest points by duct taping shorts pieces of rubber hose to each & wrapping the CLEAN skull plate in heavy paper, cloth or thin foam such as carpet padding. I also taped a 1"x2" piece of wood from one antler side to the other antler side, but you can use about any rigid rod or even a straight tree branch. It not only provides a handle of sorts but also keeps the rack from flexing enough to break the skull plate.

You can also split the sides & nest & tape them together to make it more compact. I've done it with deer antlers so I could pack them in a duffle easier. Best way is to cut down the middle with a saw about 3/4 of the way & then break the last bit. That'll make matching them up for the right spread angle easier down the road.

And yes, you will be dinged an extra fee, usually about the same as an extra bag.

Now...all that said, things might be different today so your mileage might vary. ;) Best bet, call the airline you'll be using & ask.
About the same time frame you're talking about I inquired Alaska Airlines about shipping caribou antlers. They said split them and cover the points. Or.......I could pay an extra $90 and ship them in tact, no need to split. I paid the $90.

When I arrived at my home airport the antlers were crushed together. The pilot made a point of telling me the antlers wouldn't fit in the cargo hold of the puddle jumper we used for the last leg, so they made them fit. He said I could get a refund if I filed a claim, but I never did. I took several width measurements so it was easy to reconstruct later. Don't crush if it's a record book set. It will be disqualified.

One more Idea.
You can ship everything air cargo from most airports to your local airport.Look for a Air Cargo
Building or signs at the airport and go see them
Personally.
You can pile everything on a pallet and stretch
Wrap it intact with no split antlers.
So you can pile all your hunting gear, meat coolers etc.
You can choose between regular or freezer style if your local airport has it.It works for hunting or even fishing trips when you and your buddys want to bring home half the ocean.

About the same time frame you're talking about I inquired Alaska Airlines about shipping caribou antlers. They said split them and cover the points. Or.......I could pay an extra $90 and ship them in tact, no need to split. I paid the $90.

When I arrived at my home airport the antlers were crushed together. The pilot made a point of telling me the antlers wouldn't fit in the cargo hold of the puddle jumper we used for the last leg, so they made them fit. He said I could get a refund if I filed a claim, but I never did. I took several width measurements so it was easy to reconstruct later. Don't crush if it's a record book set. It will be disqualified.
Yup. I was remiss in not mentioning the B&C aspect. Of course, that only matters if someone plans to actually enter it for the book. Otherwise, splitting the rack is a good way to improve the score. :ROFLMAO:

All three of my 'bou hunts involved bush planes from camp to city. For all of them, the pilots tied the antlers to the wing struts. Unlike yours, the rest of the flights home were on full-sized passenger jets.

As to the cost, I never paid an extra baggage fee even though that was the norm for regular passengers. Reason: on flights for Canada I was on the tab of the Canadian Consulate in LA, and for Alaska, they were courtesy of Alaska Airlines.

On one of the latter, I was checking in for the flight home, and the gal told me they upgraded my seat to 1st class. It was the first & last time time I tasted goose pâté.

barf.gif

Last edited:
A lot of processors will bow it up and ship it FEDEX. I have done that before. I have also had it fast frozen and put it in Soft Coolers. I shipped a set of elk antlers from Utah UPS intact. Np cheap way to do it thou.

As a result of another discussion here regarding gun cases, Delta policy on 'sporting equipment was posted. Here's what it saysin regards to ...

Antlers
Fees per animal rack/antler:
  • Standard baggage allowance and fees based on cabin and travel region apply
  • Antlers weighing over 50 lbs. will be charged the applicable excess weight fee
  • If the outside linear dimensions (length + width + height) exceed 115 linear inches (292 cm), the item will not be accepted
  • Items in excess of baggage allowance will be subject to additional or overweight baggage fees
Space must be available, and the following Restrictions apply:
  • Antlers must be free of residue, the skull must be wrapped and the tips protected
  • Antler/animal racks cannot exceed 100 lbs (45kgs) and linear dimension (length+width+height) cannot exceed 115 inches/292 cm
  • Antlers will be accepted on Delta Connection flights only if space is available
In some cases, there may not be space available for antlers to travel on the same plane with you. These will be held at the local baggage service office or can be delivered for a fee. Contact Reservations for more information.

I have flown elk back from New Mexico to Oregon a couple of times. I was able to put a freeze on the meat before leaving and all I used was some of those black and yellow totes from Home Depot. It worked fine and was cheap. Those totes were about ten bucks each at the time (I believe). You will also need a few zip ties.

I flew Alaska, as they were the best to work with as far as additional shipping cost for the antlers and meat. Not sure if they are still the best or not.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom