Transporting Skull on a plane

Torq

Well, I have a buddy in Oklahoma who has talked me into going out there and shooting a white tail this year. If I do end up getting a buck I am curious as to how to transport the skull back to Utah. The meat seems easy enough to freeze and put in a cooler and pay for the extra checked bag. But I typically like to do euro mounts and I am wondering if anybody has had any experience transporting a euro mount on the plane?

Thanks in advance.

Pack it up in a tote , seal it up and ship it as extra baggage , First remove all the meat you can and let air dry for a day then pack up with some paper around it to pick up any moisture and to cushion it during transport, finish it out when you get back .

Put a bunch of salt on it, that helps it dry quicker and then you brush it off.

On a trip back from NM, we had a full-size, expandable suitcase and we packed 2 skulls/antlers into it. Luckily, one rack fit inside the other and it worked out well.

UPS/FEDEX charge an arm and a leg for meat, my suggestion is to freeze in an ice chest and pay the extra package--way cheaper. However, this was 10+ years ago, but I can't imagine it's cheaper, but....

If you just do a skull cap and wrap it on a plaque it’s this easy. I wound up shoulder mounting this one, but you get the point.

A60676F6-5560-4084-93C0-6CCA980089D7.jpeg

Thanks all, lots of good suggestions. I am trying to avoid a skull cap, I just love Euro mounts. Also shipping is an option it just costs more than doing a carry on, or checked bag.

We transfer antlers all the time in our duffel bags, if they will fit. Tape/tie a stick between beams to avoid breakage. Pad the antler tips so they can't poke thru. Don't forget various state CWD requirements that there can be no meat or tissue on/in the skull. If they show up on an X-ray and get confiscated you're SOL!! I would consider boxing up and shipping, or having it done there

We transfer antlers all the time in our duffel bags, if they will fit. Tape/tie a stick between beams to avoid breakage. Pad the antler tips so they can't poke thru. Don't forget various state CWD requirements that there can be no meat or tissue on/in the skull. If they show up on an X-ray and get confiscated you're SOL!! I would consider boxing up and shipping, or having it done there
Do you think it would be possible to put it in the cooler with the frozen meat and do the whole thing as one checked item? You may be right in just shipping the thing. I'm looking at UPS and I think I could ship it for about $90 vs I will pay $60 for the checked item. But an extra $30 to stop it from getting confiscated is money well spent. But if I could get it all to fit in one cooler, since I am planning on taking the meat home like that, maybe that's an option.

Sounds like a plan, if it all fits and is free of brain tissue. Do it.

I can't believe UPS will do it for $90. My quotes from all major delivery services back in 08' were in the $200‐$350 range. Not even asking for overnight!

It seems you have some reasonable options.

Sounds like a plan, if it all fits and is free of brain tissue. Do it.

I can't believe UPS will do it for $90. My quotes from all major delivery services back in 08' were in the $200‐$350 range. Not even asking for overnight!

It seems you have some reasonable options.
You must be talking about shipping the meat two day. I think he’s just talking about shipping the skull and antlers via ground. Ground shipping is relatively inexpensive.

You must be talking about shipping the meat two day. I think he’s just talking about shipping the skull and antlers via ground. Ground shipping is relatively inexpensive.
Yeah the meat I would still bring with me in as a checked item in a cooler. Just shipping the skull and antlers via ground is closer to $90, real rough estimate, who knows what it will really be when they weigh it and depending on how big the box is.

Nope. I asked about ground after asking about air. It was still ridiculous at that time. Glad to hear things are more reasonable.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom