Trash n the woods

Yes please!
Fires start very easily with just one spark

I have run across camp sites in the spring here in Colorado that have so much trash that was left behind the year before you wonder if they took anything home with them

Unit 51 NM tons of bottles and cans.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

> Unit 51 NM tons of
>bottles and cans.
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".
>>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>>the MM green signature club.[font/]

51 is about the worst I've ever seen in all the western states.

It's sad that a general thread about trash in the woods and members quickly point out NM 51. I will second, third, or whatever place I'm in that it is terrible there. I did do my share of filling up my pockets and pack with random simple trash. A man could make a living just picking up Modelo beer cans there.

It's sad that a general thread about trash in the woods and members quickly point out NM 51. I will second, third, or whatever place I'm in that it is terrible there. I did do my share of filling up my pockets and pack with random simple trash. A man could make a living just picking up Modelo beer cans there.
I’ve never hunted 51 myself, I have had friends that have hunted there and stopped . Their camps were broken into several times, tents stolen, the gear trailer was broken into and stole everything,even the empty gas cans. Along with this same complaint of trash left everywhere not only in the camp sites but in the woods as well. Sadly the post above is true, it will be passed on through generations.
I have a 7 year old girl that knows better than to leave a candy wrapper behind. She gets so upset when she sees trash in woods that she starts filling her backpack with it!

With the price of homes today and limited availability of rental units, coupled with the higher cost of what there is to rent, thousands of people, not hunters, have set up travel trailer (and tents) homesteads/camps on our federal and State lands, especially in the warmer winter area. Even people who have average incomes. Our southern public lands are getting crowded with full time camps. Would not surprise me to see school buses picking up students at the closest highway crossing soon.

Last edited:
Do you really think they give a ****, they Also have no ethics, their slobs not only in the woods but also in the trades. Look at the way the country is run, and the fire business is big money now days.

I’ve never hunted 51 myself, I have had friends that have hunted there and stopped . Their camps were broken into several times, tents stolen, the gear trailer was broken into and stole everything,even the empty gas cans. Along with this same complaint of trash left everywhere not only in the camp sites but in the woods as well. Sadly the post above is true, it will be passed on through generations.
I have a 7 year old girl that knows better than to leave a candy wrapper behind. She gets so upset when she sees trash in woods that she starts filling her backpack with it!
I used to love 51 but as geno mentioned im sure Im one of the ones hes talking about. ive had an entire camp broken down and taken , more than once. i no longer apply there used to love to fish and camp in the area as well , but the folks from canjilion and el rito are a mess. I work to hard for my gear just to have it ransacked. such beautiful country there. We used to see bud light cans all over the road. We called him the bud light guy

Every beautiful place, as soon as it’s identified as such, is over run with the scum of our species, to take advantage of the resources and the visitors. From sea to shining sea.

If you want to ruin a place, make it a National Park or National Monument and give 5 years. Ten years if you tell about it on social media.

Nothing worth seeing in Utah guys, world’s worst drivers, racists, bigots, corrupt gov., world’s most productive poachers, ugly women, simple minded men, stained toilet paper blowing everywhere, creepy green jello………… Wyoming’s nice, so’s Idaho and Colorado. They say Arizona is more friendly than Florida but not by much. Standard of living is better in both of the Dakota’s and Nevada as way more open spaces and no sales tax.

Fuel up at the border so you don’t have to leave the freeway more than once.

I used to love 51 but as geno mentioned im sure Im one of the ones hes talking about. ive had an entire camp broken down and taken , more than once. i no longer apply there used to love to fish and camp in the area as well , but the folks from canjilion and el rito are a mess. I work to hard for my gear just to have it ransacked. such beautiful country there. We used to see bud light cans all over the road. We called him the bud light guy
Yessir! You’re the guy!

Made the 5 hr. drive back home to the N. Bama Hills to do a little scouting in an absolutely beautiful place. Fall colors starting to come in, lows in the 40's, sunny, breezy. Saw a nice Timber rattler and got checked by the Man.
And picked up more ice bags, water bottles and beer cans than I
can remember.
Found a smoldering fire someone had left by the lake and used the empty water bottles to put out what was going to be a forest fire because it's drier than a popcorn fart up there and did i mention it was breezy? Was actually starting to spread in some dry grass.
Some people need to be beaten vigorously about the face with a garden hose.
Laziness, sorriness and stupidity has become an epidemic.

I started a tread a few years ago, and it just never stops some places get better then it moves to another unit.
People just don't care anymore. (NO RESPECT) I am an HE instructor an we preach to the whole class about the importance of leaving it better than you found it.

hopefully the younger gen can teach their elders the importance of leaving it better for the future generation.

pack it in pack it out

I started a tread a few years ago, and it just never stops some places get better then it moves to another unit.
People just don't care anymore. (NO RESPECT) I am an HE instructor an we preach to the whole class about the importance of leaving it better than you found it.

hopefully the younger gen can teach their elders the importance of leaving it better for the future generation.

pack it in pack it out
Ya Ya…….. we were taught by our elder to “make a difference, leave a mark”.

> Unit 51 NM tons of
>bottles and cans.
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".
>>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>>the MM green signature club.[font/]

51 is about the worst I've ever seen in all the western states.
Unit 2B and a bit of C during the shed season was as nasty as Ive ever seen. We rode a couple new colts back in there and over that weekend we saw upwards of 25-30 vehicles and only a couple trucks were out of state plates . Non residents get spoken of in a bad way but all the beer and soda bottle and cans and boxes , Sonic and McDonalds and Walmart bags left out there was done so by New Mexicans . Now where I live people are leaving little mini whiskey bottles along the walking and bike trails , nasty slob pukes!!! No self respect why would these people respect others and or our state ? So frustrating !!!

Unit 2B and a bit of C during the shed season was as nasty as Ive ever seen. We rode a couple new colts back in there and over that weekend we saw upwards of 25-30 vehicles and only a couple trucks were out of state plates . Non residents get spoken of in a bad way but all the beer and soda bottle and cans and boxes , Sonic and McDonalds and Walmart bags left out there was done so by New Mexicans . Now where I live people are leaving little mini whiskey bottles along the walking and bike trails , nasty slob pukes!!! No self respect why would these people respect others and or our state ? So frustrating !!!
Agree, Seems worse in NM vs other states. Frustrating at minimum.

For what its worth I think its worse north than down south. At least that's been my experience.
Very much true. Still seen some areas south that had careless dumping but nothing like the problems in the north (I40)and also western areas unit 10 and Gallup area

My brother and I hunted moose in Newfoundland. Flew into a camp on a lake. Each of us had a packed lunch and everyday the guides just threw their trash on the ground after they ate.
Hunted the Yukon for moose.Flew into a little lake that had a little stream feeding it that connected to other little lakes. Canoed from lake to lake.Everywhere we went ashore to call you would find signs of a fire pit and trash. Didn’t expect that in either location.

My brother and I hunted moose in Newfoundland. Flew into a camp on a lake. Each of us had a packed lunch and everyday the guides just threw their trash on the ground after they ate.
Hunted the Yukon for moose.Flew into a little lake that had a little stream feeding it that connected to other little lakes. Canoed from lake to lake.Everywhere we went ashore to call you would find signs of a fire pit and trash. Didn’t expect that in either location.
I can’t say I’m the least bit proud of this but I will say it was a universal problem, a generation ago, back in the 1940/50/60s.

I was still a kid then.

It was common place for everyone, every where, at least in the rural areas of Southern Alberta, Montana and Idaho, where I traveled regularly…… to throw trash out the window of the vehicle you were driving in. Paper food sacks, cans, pop and beer bottles…… you name it… out the window it went and was swallowed up in the gravel road side weeds and over growth. There where few asphalt highways and the burrow pits were not mowed and bailed like they are today. And the culture was different, it was simply normal behavior.

I remember moving to Las Vegas Nevada in 1968. Traveled the road from Las Vegas to Boulder City everyday for about 8 months. It was different than the grass road sides I’d grown up in. There was not a blade of grass, weeds or sage on that highway, just bare desert sand and gravel, for every mile. There must have been 10,000 beer and/or pop bottles laying exposed next to the highway, between the two cities. So many, we would entertain ourselves, coming and going, shooting at those bottles, shooting marbles, with a wrist rocket/flipper out of a window of the passenger side of the vehicle……. going 60 miles an hour.

The point being, trash was treated by people differently then and apparently still is in some places. It a culture thing and I recall how hard it was for government officials to get people to stop throw trash out their windows. In those days we considered it government over reach. lol

It’s better today and like I said, I’m not proud of it but I do understand how people that are used to living that way didn’t it see like we do. Culture has a powerful influence on us.

I was around for the tail end of that period when people threw their trash out the window. I had kind of forgotten about that. It was shocking to see adult men do that in Newfoundland in a pristine environment.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom