Trauma/First aid kit

jgriffin82

I'd like to hear what MMr's recommend for pre-packaged trauma kits. I carry a small, very basic kit but, I'm looking to get a more advanced kit and training for myself and my wife. I've been looking at mountain man medical, gearbags.com and few others. Any firsthand experience or knowledge would be helpful. Thanks.

Jim

Best suggestion? Get some serious first aid training first, and see what your trainers recommend. Everyone needs to tailor their individual kits for what they do the most of, and types of anticipated injuries. I have a "red bag" that goes with me any time I leave sight of the truck. Small enough to fit in my fanny, back, of full frame packs. It has compass, whistle, mirror, cord, scalpel blades, 3 ways to make a fire, gauze, bandaids and alcohol pads, pre-prepped sutures, Co-Ban wrapping, nitrile gloves, tiny scissors, tweezers, etc.. Meds are Benadryl, Advil, Hyrocodone, and Imodium.

I never open it, except in emergency. It is the first thing I review and prepare the beginning of every season!!!

My son that is a BLM HotShot supervisor recommended you look at Adventuremedicalkits.com

I stock a bottle of pepto in the trailer and extra TP. Has soothed the soul many times after those chili and tamales nights on the mountain.

My 2003 Tacoma came with a first-aid kit. I never have opened it. I should see what's in there. I think it's under the passenger seat.

Thanks Blank. I will check them out. I EDC a small IFAK. It has basic survival gear in it along with the first aid supplies. With the way society is currently, I'm looking for something a bit more comprehensive for my vehicles and when we vacation with the family. I've been looking at wilderness/advanced first aid courses in California and Nevada. Any recommendations regarding first aid courses/classes?

Small suture kit, tweezers, 4x4s, baking soda/alka seltzer, quick clot, zip stitch, fishmox, painkillers, air splints, burn blanket, silvadene cream, SAT phone, AED, magnifying glass, neosporin, benadryl, alcohol pads, topical lidocaine, injectable lidocaine, trauma scissors and a field surgical kit. And a couple drip kits.

Small suture kit, tweezers, 4x4s, baking soda/alka seltzer, quick clot, zip stitch, fishmox, painkillers, air splints, burn blanket, silvadene cream, SAT phone, AED, magnifying glass, neosporin, benadryl, alcohol pads, topical lidocaine, injectable lidocaine, trauma scissors and a field surgical kit. And a couple drip kits.
What did you do feddoc, Rob the local ER!

Mine is almost exactly like feddoc’s.....minus the SAT phone. I also added some Actifed and crazy glue tube to mine.

Carried it for years and was thinking of leaving it in my camp to save weight when I came across a hunter in the field who had stabbed his leg pretty bad while dressing an elk......we were both glad I had it then!

Duct tape and crazy glue is all you need....every one always wears a belt right?? Leave a 6-pk of beer in the pick-up for painkiller while getting to the ER too...

I take care of trauma patients as part of my job. I have several different first aid kits. The one in my hunting pack weighs about 8 oz. The one that I take on long trips and keep in my truck probably weighs 10lbs. The best advice I could give you is to learn to use the stuff that you keep in your kit. Having the best first aid kit won't help you prevent someone from bleeding to death unless you know what to do. Have stuff for common problems such as cuts and blisters and add stuff you think you may need. I also go through my 1st aid stuff at least once a year and replace stuff that is getting too old or used up.

I have 1 in each vehicle, 1 in each backpack and 1 in the bathroom pantry/closet.

Robb

IMG_2598.JPG

I’ve been in the Trauma business for a long time, and my outside the hospital kit involves mostly duct tape. Most of the junk they put in those kits will never get used. They always have sting relief (noticed in photo above). Has anyone actually used one of those? Yeah, bee stings suck. Swear a little (or a lot) and go on with your life. I guess I have a pretty well stocked kit that lives in my car (or in the raft for longer multi day trips), but I can assure you there are no bandaids or sting relief in it. I do that from time to time after I come across an accident or something. If a bandaid will fix it, I’m not worried about it.

Look through my medic prepackaged first aid kits. You can get any size or weight you can think of.

https://mymedic.com/collections/first-aid-kits

You can buy whatever you need. The QuikClot dressings can be a life saver for novices and a tourniquet is a good idea too.

From your first aid kit shouldn't miss different plasters and bandages. You may also include sterile gloves and safety pins. Don't forget about antiseptic wipes and solutions. You can use hydrogen peroxide. It would be helpful to have something for reducing pain, like paracetamol or propolis ointment. Remember that first aid at work does not include giving tablets or medicines to treat illness. The only exception is when the traumatized person is in severe pain. Btw, I always keep aspirin in my car. If I have to help someone, I must be calm and able to concentrate.

Last edited:
Whatever little kit you get, add a tourniquet and learn how to use it. The little stuff will not get used for the most part. Painkillers, alcohol pads, quickclot, super glue, band aids, gauze and duct tape can cover most of what you need. I have seen tourniquets save lives.

I would use peroxide with caution as it can degrade healthy skin.
If you work as a saw filer in a big sawmill handling big bandsaws, you're going to get cut. Hydrogen peroxide is a must. We had two guys end up in the hospital from ignoring small cuts. I have no idea why saw blades are so septic.

Get educated about first aid.
Prioritize your needs
Buy the items separately. This will save a bunch of money.
Water, quick clot, antiseptic wipes, burn cream, hydrocortisone, muti bandaid bandages, solar blanket, weather proof matches, otc pain reliever, first aid hand book, tourniquet, sewing kit, dental floss, chap stic, mole skin, tweezers, latex gloves
The list is endless

My 2003 Tacoma came with a first-aid kit. I never have opened it. I should see what's in there. I think it's under the passenger seat.
IMG_6569.jpeg

Did your Tacoma come with a Yeti also? They keep your truck from rolling down the ravine further…

Yes eel, all was good in the making of this infomercial, thank goodness…,
And I agree, what a perfect time for a service…
We rolled her over and off we went, still running 2 years later…
What year is it? What motor is in it?

How many of you carry an AED in your vehicles? I bought a fisfull of them just after my wife had her heart attack. Simple to use.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom