Traveling to GMU 55.

Kmac

Hey guys. I’m an out of stater with 6 Muley points. I’ll be applying for a tag next year and I’m looking to get my ducks in a row.

I’m very much considering flying to avoid a 22 hour drive. I have two major concerns though. The first is being able to get a 4x4 rental truck once flying in. I’m not sure if there is anyway to guarantee that. The other is just flying my rifle. I know that’s pretty common but it’s new to me.

Anyone have any helpful insight on this? I’ll likely be flying into Denver and driving to Gunnison.

Thanks.

Both are simple if flying into Denver, do it every year renting a full-size truck through Enterprise or Alamo. The issue is you are likely to get tires that don't go well in mud. Will be much harder ton get a truck if flying into Gunnison, very few options there.

Good point above on the tires. On two occasions I had friends come here and experience multiple flats on rental vehicle tires - once in an SUV and the other time a full-sized pickup. "P" rated tires just can't survive the rocky backroads.

I've flown with guns a few times in/out of Denver. Never an issue. Just make sure you discuss the guidelines with the airline prior to getting tickets. The truck...dunno. Maybe call ahead to make sure you have a 4x4 with the right kind of tires.

22 hours? Id just drive it, enjoy the ride, and show up with a full kit. Rather than trust the airlines.

Id be packing good tires and chains

Worst "mature"deer hunting of my life time. 58 years old. 4th generation in the Baison... I'd take 1993 OTC over what's here 2023.

If you are solo and can fly, it is probably two hunting days wasted by driving. Decisions! 2 days hunting or all your gear and truck.
Exactly. 4 days of driving = 4 less days of hunting. And that’s assuming you make it the entire trip with no vehicle or trailer problems. I have lost a lot of sleep over it, and still not completely sure what I will do!

If solo, I would rent a jeep. Gets around great and you can sleep in the back if in a pinch.

Flying meat is kinda a pain. Have a cooler (I would buy once in Colorado so you don't have to ship it out). Have all meat in ziplocks. Horns are also a pain. If not a trophy, cut off one side at base and put in cooler. Generally you can get all meat and horns in a big cooler. You will have $100 oversize luggage fee. Alaska allows 100 lbs. I think Delta is only 75 pounds. I try to fly alaska airlines if flying meat and horns, I haven't done other airlines.

I can't imagine flying to a DIY hunt in the lower 48. I drove from eastern OR to Gunnison to hunt 66 last year and I used up the entire back seat of an F350 with gear and the bed with a 4 wheeler.

No way I would not go without my truck, recovery gear etc. It is amazing how much crap you actually will use depending on the weather. I would take the days, call in sick a couple whatever and drive it yourself. Or go out before, scout some and leave it in Denver at the airport, or find a secure lot to park and Uber to airport for a few weeks and fly back out. I do this every year back and forth from working.

If you're DIY, drive it. If there are 2 or more of you, even better. All your gear, a backup gun, plus a way to get meat and antlers back. You'll probably take more than you need, but much better than not taking (flying) what you need.

When you really get down to it, flying only saves one day out and one day back. In other words, you're gonna spend a day flying anyway.

Good luck and post some pics.

My choice:
deer hunt: flying is totally doable. I would absolutely fly if the alternative was 22 hrs.
Elk hunt: drive and get a buddy to go to help pack!

The obstacles are not that bad for a deer hunt. Planning this far ahead, you can make it happen.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom