travelling with a bow / airplane

HornyMan

I currently live in Australia and want to bring a bow back with me in a month.

Any recommendations travelling with a bow? Best case? Do airlines need special paper work for bows?

thanks

I have never traveled out of country or went through customs with a bow but I have flown a lot here in the states with one and really have never had much of an issue. I bought a hard bow case. Even though it has a foam lining in it I still stuff clothes around the bow to help cushion any shock it might see, like airline workers throwing it up on a rack. The locks on the bow case are kind of cheesy and probably wouldn't take much to open them but I still think it helps to keep people out of it. I often put my knives, rangefinder, and other expensive items in with the bow also. The locks make me feel a little better about it.

The big thing you will need to know is your bow will not show up with the rest of your luggage, so don't panic when it doesn't show up on the conveyer. It will be considered oversized and go to a special room they have for over sized luggage. I notice golf clubs are about the number one item that end up in the same place. I always wait to get my luggage and then go find the oversize room or office that will have the bow. Usually it is there waiting for me. Hope this helps.

GBA

I flew to Hawaii last year, I put two bows with arrows in a double ("armored") soft case, and a bunch of bivy gear to include a frame pack, inside a golf travel bag.

Then, I lashed the top of the golf bag down, and tied it all up tight, so it would fit the dimensional requirements. It was checked as regular baggage, and no oversize charges incurred. Probably the cheapest way I could have done it, and my gear was undamaged going there and back.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
http://www.elkmtngear.com

I have traveled with my bows multiple times. I use an SKB double bow case. I took the foam divider out and placed all my hunting clothing into the case.

I wrap shirts around the cams, I place heavy socks wrapped around my sights/rest. I havent had anything shift or break by doing this.

Another option depending upon your bows ATA is place in a larger duffel bag and wrap the bows with clothing.

No special permit is required. I usually take photos and write down information about the bows, just in case they get lost or damaged.

"Quitting is not an option!"

+1 on the SKB double hard case. Nice thing about the SKB is the moveable velcro straps to fit most bows and the case locks are TSA approved. TSA has a master key that fits all TSA approves locking cases so they can inspect inside without calling you to a location for you to unlock the case if they see something inside they want a better look at.

))))------->

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom