Traverse with Nugget

SS!

Long Time Member
Snow is slowly melting here so it was time for Nugget and I to traverse into the mountains in search of moose antlers. Here is Nugget with his 4 days of rations and gear:
D68114FC-E915-4A00-B130-512E90366EA4.jpeg

Walking the spine of the ridge Nugget barrels off the side tail wagging and nose in the air. He is on something. The flash of white gets me excited but it’s not what I expected:
7ACD435F-B7A3-42C5-AF38-D8148A92AD04.jpeg

It’s a dead lynx that hasn’t been fed on. A local friend said the snowshoe hare population has crashed and it likely starved to death. A great reminder of the reality of life and death. We pushed on to our first camp spot of the trip...

On the way to camp spot number one we stumble across a few more sheds. We take a much needed break and reminisce about past shed hunts, current events and the future. Often trips like this there are talks of places one wishes to go but likely will never make it. It helps past the time in the monotony of busting brush in search of antlers. Not to be greedy we left this antler for the next mammal...
11CC3192-1321-4E49-8308-06F13487886A.jpeg

We made camp and went in search of antlers. After about an hour hiking a twelve year quest came to an end. Fricking barn door antler in the thick brush. Big year old bull that was all palm, something I’ve been searching for a long time. High fives, swear words and lots pics were taken. The quest was on to find the match. 3 or 4 hours later, not exactly how long as time is irrelevant out there I stumble onto this:
14AF5F3D-998B-4B3E-9585-BB2D850C7989.jpeg

Last edited:
A young bull with great potential. The moment was not one to be enjoyed because the wind was right for Nugget. He bounded off into the brush with us giving chase. We were rewarded with Nugget on top of the match the big white! This side was even bigger than the first! It was an unreal moment, one of those ones looking back is almost hard to remember. I quickly rewarded Nugget with some pepperoni. His excitement gave us the confidence he knew what we were there for. Only one day in and the trip was complete as far as I was concerned. After taking an unhealthy amount of pics and video we worked our way to the side by side set. Packs were loaded and daylight was fading. Camp, jet boil and freeze dried food. Drifted off to sleep while trying to burn some memories of the day into my mind forever. A pic of Nugget cheesing:
C074C2CD-04D6-4665-87AF-E4D6BB62B124.jpeg

The next day was spent exploring more country. A few sheds were found but mostly just enjoying the day. Often the talk went back to the big white set. Bucket list. Once in a lifetime. Book bull. So early in the trip it was hard to focus that we still had two full days. Nugget with a chunky brown found between the time of morning and afternoon. It’s all quite blurry but antlers were found:
E46D9608-6B2B-4BA3-9801-9C8420E12742.jpeg

The hike to camp spot number two can be summed up in brush, thicker brush and thicker than thick brush. Mix in a healthy amount of mosquitos, heat and heavy packs and we were pretty beat by the time we got there. Fat and out of shape we were, but take your time and you get there...eventually. Camp #2
926953B5-F98B-4B7D-B0A6-F866FC4E2658.jpeg

With camp setup it was time to go exploring. We needed water and more sheds. Nugget was losing steam. I felt bad but this country is dry for Alaska standards. We hit a waterhole and Nugget drinks for days. We have to go down in the valley to find water to pump. *Side note In Alaska they are valleys not canyons*

With water secured we start busting brush aka shed hunting. We go across the creek into the thick of it. Nuggets tail cannot lie and we are close to treasure. An opening in the trees reveals a story we will never hear. The ground is all tore up looking like it’s plowed. In the middle is a spine and Nugget is in heaven. The search is short as 10 yards away is another part of the story of this ridge. Call it what you want but we call them dead heads. I suppose in Utah it’s called a lion kill, maybe up here grizz kill? I’m smart enough to know I don’t know chit but I do know this moose is BIG:
10561097-E11A-4E8E-AA01-2B240D29435D.jpeg

The bull is a dream bull. Most will go their life without seeing such a bull. The thought that this bull likely went his life without being seen puts a smile on my face. It’s wild to think there’s still places like that. We drag the rack out into the opening the grizzlies made when buried. Daylight is fading and pictures are in order. 70” bulls are not that common and especially on a twelve year quest. To complete two goals on one trip is surreal, one that will never be repeated. Nugget meanwhile takes advantage to get some sleep:
BC055149-E4BE-496A-B578-AFAA348DC54C.jpeg

His sleep is short lived as a little while in the sounds of crunching leaves fills our ears. The glimpse of a grizzly bear 30 yards in the brush brings us to reality. The air is filled with “HEY BEAR”. “GET THE F****** BEAR SPRAY” and Nugget barking up a storm. As quick as we see him the bear is gone. Adrenaline is flowing and it is time to go. We quickly gather our stuff and head to camp. Close calls happen up here and add this to the list. Thoughts on what could of happened fill the air but also are quickly forgotten. We are tired and hungry and it’s been a long day. Chicken with rice mountain house and jerky for dinner. Felt like kings after the day we had. Headed to camp spot number 3 in the morning..

Daylight comes and the bones hurt. There’s going to be a big push to get to camp spot 3. Nugget has a slight limp and I question if I should brought him. We break camp down and it’s hot. Low on water we push on. We find water and Nugget cools off and drinks a ton. A while later we come across remnants of winter. Nugget is happy:
F10407B3-460B-4C3A-A0F5-8E7A74286457.jpeg

Camp number 3 and final camp is setup and the view is amazing:
66747892-CBFB-4D5B-AB38-A0A5A898CDA2.jpeg

On our way to our afternoon valley I spot a nice 3 brow paddle laying next to a creek. I decide to leave it for now and go check out the chosen valley. We bust brush there and it’s much of the same. Thick as f***, get water and bust brush. We are rewarded for our efforts but not what we came here for.
936C847D-1095-4E28-94DC-3A970AAF87C8.jpeg

Another one we left:
A932F620-7F50-4FB8-A5EA-45EF7B88F727.jpeg

The antler in the creek I spotted earlier weighs on the mind. I must go check it out. I bail on the original plan and head that way. It’s the point of the trip where I’m thinking of my wife, kids, etc and not paying attention. Walking and looking but not really looking or walking. Just in a dream like mode going from point A to chosen point B. All of sudden Nugget takes off and I think he’s on a line to an antler. GoPro out I give chase. Nugget runs up to a brush and is jumping. WTF? It’s takes too long to realize what is going on but he’s on top of a porcupine. I quickly drop the camera and grab him by the collar. Luckily the porky had burrowed under the brush so no quills were in Nuggs. It takes all my effort to hold the 95 lb dog back:

0B77BFA4-E843-407B-9CEE-837F94CB9A78.jpeg

A good lesson for us both. I drag Nuggs down the hill and to the creek with the shed. It takes no time at all to find it. The shed is sitting in water which means it stinks. It’s destined to stay where it’s at. We do not touch it. A pic of the water logged shed:
9FCD1CF0-9E87-4011-B26B-8AA13D86E9D5.jpeg

Disappointed and tired I call it. It’s been a great trip but I am spent as is Nugget. We are done. Time to go eat and relax and enjoy our last evening before we have to get back to trolling monstermuleys. As we cross the creek Nugget’s tail starts wagging and I think he’s on another porcupine. I let him give chase but I’m right behind him. We go up the creek and he goes to this antler:
1C80993D-B7F3-4B62-AD1F-799149B0BA3E.jpeg

Its a year old antler that had a forked point and the palm is all taco’d out. Very cool shed! Even more it’s light! As I load it up I see Nugget looking uphill. We go that way and find it’s mate 30 yards up the creek:

722A505B-456C-409D-AD06-96A71928241A.jpeg

The match is just as interesting and had a dropper. What a way to cap off the trip. The heavy pack back to camp is long but not as bad as I expect. Incredible views to eat dinner and reflect on the past few days. It great to spend time with a friend who I started this moose antler obsession with and to get my first dog out there with us. The long drive back seemed shorter this time, they always do after a great trip like we had. Time to rest for a couple days and do it all over again. Parting shot of the last set of the trip:

A09FA47F-9317-4BC0-8E61-B3CB33BDF6A9.jpeg

Thanks for reading, until next time...

Last edited:
Nice story and adventure. Do they just winter there, or are the moose there year round?
They are there for sure post rut, drop their antlers not long after. Usually gone by the time we get there in spring.

It’s type two fun. Be very selective on what you do bring out and it’s not too bad. We leave way more than we bring out.
Is it not worth stock piling them in a location where they can be picked up by plane? Or is it just too far to get them where a plane can land?

There are always some very nice huge Moose Sheds at the Antler Fest in Alpine Wyoming. It’s coming up June 21st. Did you pack out the big Dead Head, how many big sheds can you pack out in a trip

There are always some very nice huge Moose Sheds at the Antler Fest in Alpine Wyoming. It’s coming up June 21st. Did you pack out the big Dead Head, how many big sheds can you pack out in a trip
I didn’t pack the dead head out. Usually can haul 4 nice sheds on the backpack. Not a lot but it’s still fun.

Great story with outstanding pics. I would've killed myself trying to pack everything out but not realistic considering the weight and mass those moose sheds have.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom