Treasure hunting stuff

feddoc

Long Time Member
I found this to be interesting.

A Connecticut treasure hunter helped a Western Massachusetts family solve a decades-old mystery about a large amount of money possibly being hidden in the house.

Keith Willie, based in Groton, posted a YouTube video this week about helping a family find a cash box containing $46,000 hidden under the floorboards, WFSB reports.

The family had previously hired carpenters to check the home, but hadn't found anything until Willie noticed something no one else had in the floor.

“I got a couple of signals over here. I’m going to take my endoscope camera and take a look under the floorboards and into the cracks in the corner,” Wille said in the YouTube video. “When I dropped it into the second or third hole, I saw something weird. It had letters and numbers on it. It was a small silver something with a slot in it. I realized oh man this is a keyhole.”

Willie discovered a gray metal box and slowly pulled up the floorboards, confirming the longstanding family rumors.

“Here we go, you guys ready? Oh, look at that. I see 20s, I see 10s,” Wille said.

The cash included $5,000 packets and a total of $46,000, all wrapped in original bank straps and hidden during the 1950s.

WFSB spoke with a family member, Karen, over the phone who said, “All this story you believe it’s true, you don’t know if it’s true. I’m just glad it was finally found.”

The video gets really interesting at about the 18:00 mark.

A bunch of uncirculated silver certificates.

Any of you folks found some treasure?

My uncle, supposedly, buried a drum full of silver dollars on some property I now own. I tried finding it with no luck. I did find uncle Jack's ashes and re-buried them about 9-10 feet down.

The cabin has a dirt floor in the basement. I used one of my detectors and got a hit about 6" down. It turned out to be a suitcase full of silver coins. I still have what looks to be an unused roll of mercury dimes along with some other collectible coins.

Last edited:
2 years ago i was tearing out a kitchen in a house i was re-doing. Got to the sink cabinet, and behind the dummy drawer, somebody hid a $1000 banded, wrapped in tinfoil, all the bills were from the 80's. I've found tons of cool stuff in houses over the years, but that was the 1st time i found hidden cash. Kinda cool.

SlinginLead has a pretty good story about this topic lol
Having worked in construction for 37 years, mostly involved in residential work, I have found a few cool items over the years.
My first "treasure" was found back in 1984, when we were demolishing an old Sambo's Restaurant in Santa Barbara, California. We were carefully removing the dining room booths, along with other restaurant equipment to be used for a new restaurant in Redondo Beach, California. As we began pulling apart the booths, we were finding all kinds of coins that had fallen between the seat and the backrest. The deal was, we would pool the coins and split them 3 ways afterwards. Among one of the items that I found, was a bracelet. It was gold with about 52 small diamonds in it. We all assumed it was fake, costume jewelry.
My boss said I could have it since I found it, and we split nearly $400 in coins.
When I got home, I showed my wife the bracelet, and she was sure it was the real deal. So, she takes it to a jeweler, and he confirms that it is real. He said on a retail basis, it was worth about $2,00.00
At the time, my wife was nine months pregnant with our first, and with no medical insurance. My uncle was going to deliver our baby "Pro Bono", but I had to come up with the hospital money. My mom had mentioned to a friend about the bracelet that we found, and she took a look at it, asked what it was worth, and wrote us a check right there. Four days later, my wife went into labor, and off we went. When everything was done and my wife and son where ready to be discharged from the hospital, I had to settle up. I'm handed the bill and it was for $1,800. Thank God for that bracelet find!

Over the years, I have found stuff in attics, crawl spaces, garages, etc., as we have remodeled numerous homes. In one home remodel, this house sat right behind the Beverly Hills Hotel. It was a palatial house built in the late '20's. We had to cut open a section of the floor to get under the house to dig and form for concrete pads.
When we opened the floor, we found several small, tin Coca-Cola signs, and one giant one. They were all original signs in mint condition. The large one was about 10' long and about 3' wide.
It turned out the head of Coca-Cola had been the original builder of the home. Unfortunately, the new owner saw them to, and immediately yelled out "Their mine"!
Other finds in homes include a Parker Bros. 12 gauge shot gun,
some very ornate perfume bottle that were buried under a house, old hand tools, etc. Old homes in the Hollywood Hills always would produce some small, memorable finds. I used to get a kick out of finding old newspapers in walls that would date back to the '20's and '30's. One house, which was built by Warner Bros, was used for early Hollywood actors and actresses to live in. We found numerous photographs of Natalie Wood when she was very young, along with other famous actors.
But the best fine was by my son, 17 years after he was born.
I was doing a remodel/addition on a ordinary house in Brentwood, California. I asked my son if he wanted to earn some money over the summer, working for me. Sure enough, he decides to get into it. So he and another worker started the demolition work, by stripping the walls, removing all the lath & plaster. I left them for the day and went to another job. When I got back, I saw that they did a decent job, so I headed home. When I get home, I walked by my son, who happened to be on our computer. I looked up on the screen, and it has pictures of silver dollars. I asked him what was going on, and he replies "Nothing". I said "nothing my a$$", you don't come home and immediately go on the computer and look up silver dollars. He finally confessed and said he found some, while doing the demo work. I asked where are they? And he said in his room. He brings out a box with all kinds of old coins, ranging from mercury head dimes to silver dollars. He had found them stacked between the studs of one of the walls he demolished.
I took them and ultimately got some valuation by looking them up on the computer, about $8,000 in all. One night we are watching TV and a commercial comes on and it's for the Long Beach Coin Show at the Convention Center. A couple weeks later, I find the coins missing. My son had taken them down to the coin show and sold them all. He then turned around and purchased a used Raptor ATV. Needless to say, I was pissed!
I thought that was then end of the story, but about 4 years later, we are all out to dinner and that topic came up. He said the coins that he found was only half of what was really found. Apparently, my son and the other worker "split" their find.
I have no idea if the other guy had coins that were worth more than my sons. Three of my sons coins were valued at $850 a piece. I'm still looking for my "Big Find"!

Found a crown royal bag of old coins in a heater vent in a house we were tearing down. Silver dollars from 1895ish, old dimes, Buffalo nickels etc. Thought it was going to be worth a lot of money. Bought a coin magazine that had values in it, was quickly disappointed as the whole bag amounted to about 300 bucks worth of coins. Have kept most of them, gave away a lot of them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom