Tribal Hunts on General Deer Units in Utah

Nebsy

Was looking at UDWR's maps of general deer units and see a ton of hunts listed as 'SouthEastern Navajo Buck Deer' or 'Southern Navajo Buck Deer'. Does anybody know what these hunts are about? The units are not on reservation land. Is this some sort of white guilt thing? Last I checked, wildlife is a state's right under the U.S. Constitution. Are wildlife permits being given to individuals who are technically not citizens of the state? Is this some sort of new racial equity program? I looked and it says the permit is ONLY available to members of the Navajo nation. Is this reciprocal? Are deer permits on the Navajo nation being provided to hunters who are not Navajo to hunt on the res?

Not sure if those are the tags that are allotted to the chapter houses on the Navajo reservation or if this is something new. The allotted tags they give doesn't matter if resident of Utah or not. Just have to be a member of the tribe.

The state can't issue state tags for state deer to a specific group of people based on distinct ("racial") characteristics, that would be a violation of the Civil Rights Act. The tags are probably for the checkerboard areas SE of Blanding that can'tbe hunted any other way...

The state can't issue state tags for state deer to a specific group of people based on distinct ("racial") characteristics, that would be a violation of the Civil Rights Act. The tags are probably for the checkerboard areas SE of Blanding that can'tbe hunted any other way...
As far as GS chapter houses are allotted x amount of tags that only Navajo tribe can get on a first come first serve basis. But those tags run along with same dates and regs as GS deer hunt. They also have the Navajo nation hunts as well a few weeks later where only tribal land can be hunted. So I'm still confused on the rest of the original posters question. Because like him I have read that and wondered what it was.

As far as GS chapter houses are allotted x amount of tags that only Navajo tribe can get on a first come first serve basis. But those tags run along with same dates and regs as GS deer hunt. They also have the Navajo nation hunts as well a few weeks later where only tribal land can be hunted. So I'm still confused on the rest of the original posters question. Because like him I have read that and wondered what it was.

The dates may coincide, but are the tags valid for unrestricted use of public land, say up on Horsehead Peak? If so, that sounds like a direct violation of Civil Rights because special consideration of a public resource is being given to a certain class of people. It wouldn't be a treaty rights thing because that doesn't exist on reservation land in NM. The tribe runs their own hunts with their own seasons and their own dept of game and fish.

In the case of that joker in WY, he used a tribal tag on public/heritage lands or shot the elk out of season with a state issued general season tag.

These would have to be tied to checkerboard areas not accessible to you and me...

The dates may coincide, but are the tags valid for unrestricted use of public land, say up on Horsehead Peak? If so, that sounds like a direct violation of Civil Rights because special consideration of a public resource is being given to a certain class of people. It wouldn't be a treaty rights thing because that doesn't exist on reservation land in NM. The tribe runs their own hunts with their own seasons and their own dept of game and fish.

In the case of that joker in WY, he used a tribal tag on public/heritage lands or shot the elk out of season with a state issued general season tag.

These would have to be tied to checkerboard areas not accessible to you and me...
The tags cover the thousand lakes unit and theres no tribal land close to there same with the manti. There's a few different areas with zero tribal land and tags being issued.

State shouldn't be issuing tags to them then...
For many years the state has set aside a number of general deer tags every year for sale to Navajo members that are good for non-res lands.

Here in CO certain Tribes have treaty rights that allow them to hunt public land pretty much year round. The map I saw included most of the SW corner of the state.

I saw a guy shoot an elk with a rifle in July on USFS land. I went over to find out what’s up and he was quite friendly and willing to show me his paperwork. He was also quite proud of his kill.:)

But don’t know how it is over yonder a couple of miles. I suspect roadrunner is right, and this is some checkerboard peculiarity.

Here in CO certain Tribes have treaty rights that allow them to hunt public land pretty much year round. The map I saw included most of the SW corner of the state.

I saw a guy shoot an elk with a rifle in July on USFS land. I went over to find out what’s up and he was quite friendly and willing to show me his paperwork. He was also quite proud of his kill.:)

But don’t know how it is over yonder a couple of miles. I suspect roadrunner is right, and this is some checkerboard peculiarity.
The Modoc tribe in the California/Oregon border is the same way. The treaty allows members to shoot one deer per member of the household a month.

Comes down to historic hunting lands and the fact that Utah went to a drawing for general season deer permits (years ago) if I’m not mistaken.

Nothing like getting outraged 20 years late….

Go check out the UDWR map tool. Select, for example, unit east of Skyline drive from Sanpete into Carbon and Emery county... results list several hunts that Utah citizens, Americans.. those who are taxed to support public land, are not eligible to hunt.. on public land. Hmmmm.

Comes down to historic hunting lands and the fact that Utah went to a drawing for general season deer permits (years ago) if I’m not mistaken.

Nothing like getting outraged 20 years late….
Ok Dari, Dari ok.. historically I was able to hunt every year archery, muzzleloader and rifle. At what point will those 'historical' hunting rights be restored to a white man?

Ok Dari, Dari ok.. historically I was able to hunt every year archery, muzzleloader and rifle. At what point will those 'historical' hunting rights be restored to a white man?

Looks like you've given the devil his jollies for the day...

Think of this as a few tags being reserved for sale to a particular group of “nonresidents.”

So, whose civil rights are being violated?! ?‍♂️

6A75E87E-4274-4252-8FD4-57B6619300B5.jpeg

The courts (including the US Supreme Court) have ruled in favor of the tribes retaining hunting, fishing and trapping rights on many lands that were historically covered by treaties and/or old reservation designations. Those reservation designations may have changed over time and the treaties may have been abandoned by the US government, but the courts usually rule in favor of the tribes and tribal members retaining those rights. It's not a decision by the DWR or the RAC's and Wildlife Board, but usually a ruling from a court that calls for those permits.

The courts (including the US Supreme Court) have ruled in favor of the tribes retaining hunting, fishing and trapping rights on many lands that were historically covered by treaties and/or old reservation designations. Those reservation designations may have changed over time and the treaties may have been abandoned by the US government, but the courts usually rule in favor of the tribes and tribal members retaining those rights. It's not a decision by the DWR or the RAC's and Wildlife Board, but usually a ruling from a court that calls for those permits.

Which is why I always say hunting is a right and not a privilege. You CANNOT grant one right to one group of people and not extend it to the others.

The tribes still have to abide by state and federal agreements and laws.

A SUIT shooting elk on SUIT land from a CO state or county road is attempting to take an elk without a CO state license. So it depends on the state.

Your indians need to have tags? You should be thanking the DWR. The indians in Oregon shoot what they want when they want. They have decimated the central Oregon mule deer herds.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom