Triple Layer Apple Pie Tonight!!!

Blank

Long Time Member
I love to play in the kitchen without recipes. Theoretically, you SHOULD be able to mix sweetened condensed milk with a couple eggs, some cinnamon and nutmeg, and bake a second custard layer on top of an apple pie. If the butter, flour, and brown sugar mixes as it's supposed to, it makes a nice streusel topping. If one of you gentlemen down South would be so kind as to FedEx me some vanilla Blue Bell, I'd be all set tonight.
roflmao.gif

4AE43100-3DE2-44E2-ACAC-0A0720064F88_1_201_a.jpeg

Haha, do they do this on that? I'll have to check my TV guide.

Don't really have a recipe, but I can tell you what I did. The kids and grandkids are here for the weekend, and were complaining there weren't any sweets in the kitchen. I rummaged around in the cupboards and refrigerator and came up with a can of sweetened condensed milk, a can of apple pie filling, and one of those rolled up cold pie doughs. OK, we got this - McGuyver, I've got a paper clip, please save my dog!!!
smile.gif

Made the pie crust in a 9" glass dish, and dumped in the pie filling. Scooped out the majority of the gooey juice, to just leave the apples and spread them around evenly. Threw it in the oven for 15 minutes, while I mixed up the other stuff. In a bowl, I melted a large stick of butter (1/2 cup) in the microwave. Then added the can of condensed milk, two eggs, some cinnamon (1 teaspoon), 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, and a 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla and mixed it up good. Poured it on top of the hot apples. Mixed up 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of flour, and another stick of softened butter for the streusel topping. Didn't look thick enough, so I threw in a package of Maple/Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal for roughage! Mixed it all together with a fork until it looked like lots of little lumps. Put on top of the custard mix, then back in the oven for 30 minutes at 325 degrees.

Pulled it out, still a tiny bit jiggly in the center, let it cool on one of the wire racks so the crust didn't continue to cook from the hot glass. Served warm it was great, out in the 35 degree garage on the shelf now, and I bet it's even better cold.

I will lose my man card for saying this, but The Great British Baking Show is one of my guilty pleasures. I can’t stop watching it.?

Check it out on Netflix. You want the ones judged by Prudence.

I have never heard of it, but will definitely check it out. Hey, we all have our vices and a man's gotta eat. Heck, I even watch Golf!

I have never heard of it, but will definitely check it out. Hey, we all have our vices and a man's gotta eat. Heck, I even watch Golf!
I could see you on that show. Some very ambitious and talented people on it. Plus it’s British, so you get things like meat pies to go along with your “biscuits” (cookies).

Start with one of the later seasons - the judges are better. My guess is you’ll end up watching them all.

I like that Guaida gal too. I met Gordon Ramsay in a bar in London one time. He wanted to be an ahole, but was ultimately tamed by my charm.

Bon Appetit :)

I like that Guaida gal too. I met Gordon Ramsay in a bar in London one time. He wanted to be an ahole, but was ultimately tamed by my charm.

Bon Appetit :)

If you want good recipes or want to learn how to cook a specific dish, YouTube is the place to do it all. With my cable set-up, there's an app where I can access it on my TV. I'll sometimes watch a dozen videos on cooking a certain thing.

If you want good recipes or want to learn how to cook a specific dish, YouTube is the place to do it all. With my cable set-up, there's an app where I can access it on my TV. I'll sometimes watch a dozen videos on cooking a certain thing.
Usually you can see # of views and pare that down to 2 or 3 videos. I think sharing or notoriety plays into that.

Usually you can see # of views and pare that down to 2 or 3 videos. I think sharing or notoriety plays into that.
With Cox cable, my remote has voice controls. So I can simply say 'calamari on YouTube' and it automatically goes to the YouTube app and shows most of the relevant calamari videos. I use both the photo & description for the ones I want to watch. If the video looks like garbage, I just use the 'back' on my remote to go back to the main list. YT is where I learned the 3-2-1 method of smoking spare ribs.

With Cox cable, my remote has voice controls. So I can simply say 'calamari on YouTube' and it automatically goes to the YouTube app and shows most of the relevant calamari videos. I use both the photo & description for the ones I want to watch. If the video looks like garbage, I just use the 'back' on my remote to go back to the main list. YT is where I learned the 3-2-1 method of smoking spare ribs.
I learned the 3-2-1 rib smoking in YT also about 10 years ago..I kept using it until I decided to cook them without it. It is around 5.5 hours babybacks and 5 for St Louis. I also quit brushing with Sauce. Now I put the ribs on the plate with some sauce. Much better. 3-2-1 makes the ribs too soft for me.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom