Tripod Buck

Nebsy

Hunted archery bookcliffs deer in 2015 after a buck I called 'tripod'. If you've seen him you'll understand the name. Curious if anybody has heard of this buck being harvested in 2015/16.

We killed a buck in 2002 in the books we called tripod. Is this what the buck you were after looked like?

64245bookcliffsbuck.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-17 AT 04:50PM (MST)[p]Here is a double tripod buck I bagged two years ago

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-17 AT 04:49?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-17 AT 04:47?PM (MST)

34303cellphonephotosoldcell311.jpg

21884cellphonephotosoldcell308.jpg

62060cellphonephotosoldcell299.jpg

The buck I was after in 2015 was similar to this buck in conformation. He had the tripod on his right rear forks like this buck but was ~30" wide with more depth on the 'tripod'. I had been scouring steer ridge for weeks and found several bucks worth sticking an arrow in. Including a double drop tine buck. The double drop buck was probably only 140" but how often do you get a chance to put a double dropper on the wall? I never saw the dropper buck during the hunt. I met Tyler Hill, an air force math man from Idaho on the hunt and he actually got to put a stalk on double dropper as well as a beautiful buck that had been hanging around the state cabin on steer. Actually hope that double dropper made it through 2015 and added some inches last year. Anybody hear of him being taken last year?
Night before the hunt I was out hiking and spotted a few deer at last light. I was curious why these deer were where they were and looked around through my binos. That's when I caught a glimmer off the spring and caught my first glimpse of tripod. Setting aside all of the other bucks I had been seeing on steer ridge, I knew this was the buck I was going after. Lots of guys were driving steer ridge hunting but this buck was off the beaten path and I knew where he was coming to water.
Opening day I hiked to the spring and built a improvised blind in the oak and the deer started pouring in. For the first hour each day the deer would hit this seep. A couple of other good bucks were coming in. That first morning another buck came in and held up about 70 yards uphill. His back left fork was twisted with one fork sticking straight out. I waited and waited for him to come to the water and he just held up with another old 30" three point. I made the decision to take a shot at him as a was not 100% confident I'd ever see tripod again. Missed the long shot at this buck. That buck with the 6" straight out kicker teased me the rest of the hunt. I think he was a gambler and was having fun with me. He turned up everywhere I went. In three different drainages this buck popped up on me. Everytime tempting me with 80-100 yard shots. One particular night I had hiked back out to my bike and he was grazing 10 feet from my bike. Really makes me wish Utah had some sort of system that would allow you to hunt a region (limited entry) for a couple of years. Let a hunter get to know an area and the bucks and have a go at them as they grow for a few years. Maybe they could give you the limited entry tag and allow you to kill one buck in a two/three year period.
Back to tripod....
After missing the big kicker buck opening morning, I settled in and decided I wasn't going to let other bucks distract me. I wanted tripod. I sat in my makeshift blind from dawn to dusk thinking it'd just be a matter of time before he showed up. He had been there Friday night, the eve of the hunt. I reckoned he'd have to hit water every 48 hours as hot as it was during the archery season. Sure enough, Sunday evening he showed up, coming off the top of the ridge as anybody who's archery hunted the books will tell you. The deer are on the tops. I was able to watch him come down a well worn wild horse trail and get a good luck at him for the first time. Granted still in velvet, he carried a heavy rack, deep fronts with that big old tripod on his right rear. Hunting deer in Utah my since childhood, I'd never taken a 'big' buck. Yes I have a couple of 4 points on the wall including a 150 class archery buck but this was my first chance to bag a big boy. I settled into a good position, calmed myself down and went into archery mode, thankful for the winters I'd shot league. The shot would be just one of thousands taken with my old browning eclipse.
Tripod walked by at 20 yards heading down hill on my right to the spring. I figured I'd wait til he was at the water before I drew. Worked as planned. He got to the water, lowered his head and I drew. I simply didn't compensate enough for the downhill shot and sent the arrow across his back. He ran uphill away from me and held up. Perhaps he'd come back I thought. No luck. While the smaller buck with him returned to satiate his thirst, tripod casually headed into the oak leaving me with nothing but a photo of my luminock glowing where the arrow was stuck in the mud.
We've all been there I guess. Angry at ourselves. Frustrated. Wondering what should have been. Oh well. Only thing to do is keep hunting. There were, after all, lots of bucks on the books. I hiked out and met with Tyler, his cousin and uncle at camp, ate dinner and swapped stories for the day. I'd head back to the spring in the morning. Tyler and his family had been on the books before while this was my first hunt there. A friend, Dale had convinced me to burn 12 points on archery books after he and his brother Tom had a great hunt the previous year. Others thought I was crazy to burn the points when most guys were drawing the tag with 6-7 points. Tom was also willing to show me around some of the areas they had seen good bucks when he had a free day. By late July, Tom and I still hadn't found a day to get to the books so I dug out a map and my wife and I made the four hour drive into unknown territory. We were on top of the books as dusk arrived and begin seeing bucks, elk and a glimpse of a bear. We were able to see of a couple of wall hangers. The following weekend Tom came out with me and showed me around. We arrived early and had the whole day to glass. I'd never seen so many trashy bucks. Not sure what it was about the books that year, perhaps it's always like it, but it seemed that every other buck had extras... inlines, kickers, droptines, double droptines, cactus bucks... you name it. I had been questioning burning those 12 points on this tag but, seeing all of those cool bucks told me I was in for an awesome hunt.
Two days later, against all odds, he returned. He approached from a different angle. I had all ready decided that if he returned and approached from the same side, I was going to take the shot as he walked in front of my 'blind' at closer range. Just as he was coming into my shot window, he turned and came straight at me. There was no way I could turn to get the shot so I just froze hoping he'd not see/hear/smell me and return to the spring. Instead he walked right up behind where I was hiding in the oak and stuck his head in, blew snot and busted outta there.
I sat that spring for two more days before returning to work, spent 8 more days hunting it over the archery season but tripod must have found a different spring to hit. I did get another chance at ambushing him as I located him in a large group of deer coming up to feed on the top of the many ridges on the book cliffs. I stalked within 100 yards and was patiently waiting for him to feed my way only to have a side by side drive down the ridge and chase the herd away. But that's hunting in Utah.
There's the short story explaining why I'm curious if anybody bagged that buck or has seen him. Perhaps somebody smoked him on the muzzleloader hunt or tagged him in 2016. If so, I'd love to see this buck and congratulate the hunter. Perhaps with a bit of jealousy. All said, I thoroughly enjoyed my time packing my bow around the book cliffs.

>The buck I was after in
>2015 was similar to this
>buck in conformation. He
>had the tripod on his
>right rear forks like this
>buck but was ~30" wide
>with more depth on the
>'tripod'. I had been
>scouring steer ridge for weeks
>and found several bucks worth
>sticking an arrow in.
>Including a double drop tine
>buck. The double drop
>buck was probably only 140"
>but how often do you
>get a chance to put
>a double dropper on the
>wall? I never saw
>the dropper buck during the
>hunt. I met Tyler
>Hill, an air force math
>man from Idaho on the
>hunt and he actually got
>to put a stalk on
>double dropper as well as
>a beautiful buck that had
>been hanging around the state
>cabin on steer. Actually
>hope that double dropper made
>it through 2015 and added
>some inches last year.
>Anybody hear of him being
>taken last year?
>Night before the hunt I was
>out hiking and spotted a
>few deer at last light.
> I was curious why
>these deer were where they
>were and looked around through
>my binos. That's when
>I caught a glimmer off
>the spring and caught my
>first glimpse of tripod.
>Setting aside all of the
>other bucks I had been
>seeing on steer ridge, I
>knew this was the buck
>I was going after.
>Lots of guys were driving
>steer ridge hunting but this
>buck was off the beaten
>path and I knew where
>he was coming to water.
>
>Opening day I hiked to the
>spring and built a improvised
>blind in the oak and
>the deer started pouring in.
> For the first hour
>each day the deer would
>hit this seep. A
>couple of other good bucks
>were coming in. That
>first morning another buck came
>in and held up about
>70 yards uphill. His
>back left fork was twisted
>with one fork sticking straight
>out. I waited and
>waited for him to come
>to the water and he
>just held up with another
>old 30" three point.
>I made the decision to
>take a shot at him
>as a was not 100%
>confident I'd ever see tripod
>again. Missed the long
>shot at this buck.
>That buck with the 6"
>straight out kicker teased me
>the rest of the hunt.
> I think he was
>a gambler and was having
>fun with me. He
>turned up everywhere I went.
> In three different drainages
>this buck popped up on
>me. Everytime tempting me
>with 80-100 yard shots.
>One particular night I had
>hiked back out to my
>bike and he was grazing
>10 feet from my bike.
>Really makes me wish Utah
>had some sort of system
>that would allow you to
>hunt a region (limited entry)
>for a couple of years.
> Let a hunter get
>to know an area and
>the bucks and have a
>go at them as they
>grow for a few years.
> Maybe they could give
>you the limited entry tag
>and allow you to kill
>one buck in a two/three
>year period.
>Back to tripod....
>After missing the big kicker buck
>opening morning, I settled in
>and decided I wasn't going
>to let other bucks distract
>me. I wanted tripod.
> I sat in my
>makeshift blind from dawn to
>dusk thinking it'd just be
>a matter of time before
>he showed up. He
>had been there Friday night,
>the eve of the hunt.
> I reckoned he'd have
>to hit water every 48
>hours as hot as it
>was during the archery season.
> Sure enough, Sunday evening
>he showed up, coming off
>the top of the ridge
>as anybody who's archery hunted
>the books will tell you.
> The deer are on
>the tops. I was able
>to watch him come down
>a well worn wild horse
>trail and get a good
>luck at him for the
>first time. Granted still
>in velvet, he carried a
>heavy rack, deep fronts with
>that big old tripod on
>his right rear. Hunting
>deer in Utah my since
>childhood, I'd never taken a
>'big' buck. Yes I
>have a couple of 4
>points on the wall including
>a 150 class archery buck
>but this was my first
>chance to bag a big
>boy. I settled into
>a good position, calmed myself
>down and went into archery
>mode, thankful for the winters
>I'd shot league. The
>shot would be just one
>of thousands taken with my
>old browning eclipse.
>Tripod walked by at 20 yards
>heading down hill on my
>right to the spring.
>I figured I'd wait til
>he was at the water
>before I drew. Worked
>as planned. He got
>to the water, lowered his
>head and I drew.
>I simply didn't compensate enough
>for the downhill shot and
>sent the arrow across his
>back. He ran uphill
>away from me and held
>up. Perhaps he'd come
>back I thought. No
>luck. While the smaller
>buck with him returned to
>satiate his thirst, tripod casually
>headed into the oak leaving
>me with nothing but a
>photo of my luminock glowing
>where the arrow was stuck
>in the mud.
>We've all been there I guess.
> Angry at ourselves. Frustrated.
> Wondering what should have
>been. Oh well.
>Only thing to do is
>keep hunting. There were,
>after all, lots of bucks
>on the books. I
>hiked out and met with
>Tyler, his cousin and uncle
>at camp, ate dinner and
>swapped stories for the day.
> I'd head back to
>the spring in the morning.
> Tyler and his family
>had been on the books
>before while this was my
>first hunt there. A
>friend, Dale had convinced me
>to burn 12 points on
>archery books after he and
>his brother Tom had a
>great hunt the previous year.
> Others thought I was
>crazy to burn the points
>when most guys were drawing
>the tag with 6-7 points.
> Tom was also willing
>to show me around some
>of the areas they had
>seen good bucks when he
>had a free day.
>By late July, Tom and
>I still hadn't found a
>day to get to the
>books so I dug out
>a map and my wife
>and I made the four
>hour drive into unknown territory.
> We were on top
>of the books as dusk
>arrived and begin seeing bucks,
>elk and a glimpse of
>a bear. We were
>able to see of a
>couple of wall hangers.
>The following weekend Tom came
>out with me and showed
>me around. We arrived
>early and had the whole
>day to glass. I'd
>never seen so many trashy
>bucks. Not sure what
>it was about the books
>that year, perhaps it's always
>like it, but it seemed
>that every other buck had
>extras... inlines, kickers, droptines,
>double droptines, cactus bucks...
>you name it. I
>had been questioning burning those
>12 points on this tag
>but, seeing all of those
>cool bucks told me I
>was in for an awesome
>hunt.
>Two days later, against all odds,
>he returned. He approached
>from a different angle.
>I had all ready decided
>that if he returned and
>approached from the same side,
> I was going to
>take the shot as he
>walked in front of my
>'blind' at closer range.
>Just as he was coming
>into my shot window, he
>turned and came straight at
>me. There was no
>way I could turn to
>get the shot so I
>just froze hoping he'd not
>see/hear/smell me and return to
>the spring. Instead he
>walked right up behind where
>I was hiding in the
>oak and stuck his head
>in, blew snot and busted
>outta there.
>I sat that spring for two
>more days before returning to
>work, spent 8 more days
>hunting it over the archery
>season but tripod must have
>found a different spring to
>hit. I did get
>another chance at ambushing him
>as I located him in
>a large group of deer
>coming up to feed on
>the top of the many
>ridges on the book cliffs.
> I stalked within 100
>yards and was patiently waiting
>for him to feed my
>way only to have a
>side by side drive down
>the ridge and chase the
>herd away. But that's
>hunting in Utah.
>There's the short story explaining why
>I'm curious if anybody bagged
>that buck or has seen
>him. Perhaps somebody smoked
>him on the muzzleloader hunt
>or tagged him in 2016.
> If so, I'd love
>to see this buck and
>congratulate the hunter. Perhaps
>with a bit of jealousy.
> All said, I thoroughly
>enjoyed my time packing my
>bow around the book cliffs.
>

He Blew Snot all over you but you never got a Shot!:D

Shoulda Tuned that TARD on that Side X Side!

"""WE WILL MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!"""
17226trump.jpg

That velvet buck looks like the mirror image of the buck that kept popping up while I was after ole tripod.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-17 AT 12:18PM (MST)[p]Nebsy-

Great story. Been there with being so close but so far away with an arrow right over the back! Haunts your dreams for sure!

Here is the link to my Book Cliffs Muzzy hunt this year with quite a bit of video footage and photos of some bucks that were in the area you described:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID61/32.html

And a photo of my buck:

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4718.jpg

IMG_4708.jpg

Does he look familiar to the kicker buck you mentioned?

I hunted that area pretty hard this summer and did not see a buck that looked like the tripod buck you described.

Looks like you had a great year on the books. Nice buck. Doesn't look like a buck that I'd hunted. Hard to tell. Like I mentioned above.. the buck that kept popping up teasing me to lose more arrows had his back left fork kind of twisted so that one fork went straight out. Like a 3 point with a big ole kicker.
I was hoping that, if somebody killed tripod on the muzzleloader hunt or rifle hunt in 2015, there'd be some pics floating around. If he survived 15' I think he had the potential for being a 210' buck in 2016.

Anybody hunt near the roadless are of books this last fall?

And... kinda fishing around to see if anybody killed the double dropper buck that was on Steer Ridge in 2015.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom