Tripod recommendations.

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
Just looking for tripod recommendations out there along with their price point. I'm not too worried about weight. I have a backpacking tripod and the smaller spotting scope that I use when I need to backpack somewhere. I'll be using the new tripod I'm looking for with an 85 millimeter razor. I am 6 foot 3 and I would like to be able to stand and use it. I would like it to be pretty heavy-duty and sturdy even when I'm standing, and it is extended all the way. I have looked at the Outdoorsman tall tripod over and over but man $500 for a tripod and another 300 to 700 for the head seems like an awful lot. I've also been looking at Manfrotto and Slik. I would like this to be a really nice tripod as I have been saving up, the Outdoorsman's seems a little ridiculous though. What do you guys use? Any recommendations?

Yep I know the outdoorsman is speedy, butI bought one with the pistol grip a few years ago . I love it, put some 15s on it and you see stuff you were never able to pick up before. Don't know anything about the manfrotto.

I use a Manfrotto 290 xtra with the XPro Fluid 2 way head (among other Manfrotto systems) and it works great for me. It is a tall tripod, in fact I do not extend the lower legs typically when using (I am 6' tall). When I extend the lower legs and flare them it creates solid base for stability in wind - if that make sense (ie, legs are spread wider than standard set up) and still it is tall. It is a heavier set up so not a candidate for a backpacking setup. Piece of advise if you want to swap between various viewing platforms, make sure you have commonality in the system of the base plate. This set up uses the 200pl base plate.

I run a swaro 80mm spotter and the 10x42 slc with my outdoorsmans medium legs and full size head.

The Outdoorsmans allows you to switch back and forth super fast. I think you can argue back pack brands, optic brands, car and truck brands but once you use the outdoorsmans out in the field there is no tripod/head debate. They are the best.

Honestly my outdoorsmans tripod and head are the nicest piece of equipment I own. By nicest I mean best, most useful, most happy with, love to death, ect.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd!?

www.s2outdoor.com
www.tojagrid.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY8iBAgry-KrH49Tua4ftbA

I use a Slik 700 dx pro legs with a Manfrotto xpro fluid head. They're pretty tall and stable unless the wind is really howling, and then no tripod will work well. I couldn't justify what I spent on my backpacking setup when I'm using this setup from a truck or even a shorter hike. I wasn't trying to save weight and I didn't care how compact it is. It gets slung over my shoulder with the scope attached if I have to walk. I won't go far with it though. I personally wouldn't spend the small fortune on the outdoorsman stuff. Based on my experience, it's way overpriced. You can do as well for far cheaper.

I'm sure the height could work well for you. I'm 5'10" and I only have to extend the legs fully and only raise the head portion maybe an inch or two and it's at eye level for use with a straight spotting scope.

I use a 290 xtra with a 128rc head. Love it for my 88mm spotter but hate to lug it long distances. Its heavy and only being a tri fold it doesnt pack well. Any recommendations for a sturdy tripod that isn't so bulky?

Ps it's hard to beat the deal you can get on a 290xtra. Mine was at sportsmans for $200 with the head

The outdoorsmans setup is quite expensive, but you will not be disappointed and will never buy another tripod again. The first time I used their setup was when a buddy brought his coues deer hunting in 2007. This guy and his dad are hardcore coues hunters and the outdoorsmans system is all they will use. I spent about 4 days using their gear and then went home and looked it up because i had to have some... I couldn't believe how expensive it was... so i tried different gear, and then i tried another different kind, and another, and another.

Nothing in my opinion was as quality as the Outdoorsmans stuff. nothing even came close. So do yourself a favor and spend the money on it. Don't make the same mistake I did by trying to save money. You will be happy you did and will soon be convincing your buddies why they should do the same.

I've been running a manfrotto 055xprob with 701hdv head from the truck. I'm 6'1", and using it with the btx I have never had it fully extended. I think I only paid 150-200 for the set up used. Perfect for what I use it for, but I would never want to pack it far.

I do have an outdoorsman's medium tripod with center post extender and small pan head. I had used it in all situations with a 65mm scope. Really awesome for packing. Not super stable standing when there's wind. I'm sure the tall would be better since your added height would be coming from the legs instead of center post. With the added weight of the btx felt like I needed something beefier, that was also cheap.

Been real happy with the slik, my only wish they would make one with shorter legs, I rarely stand while glassing.

Take your scope to sportsmans warehouse and try them out in the store. There was several I liked but they all had that little wiggle. I ended up with Manfrotto legs and a off brand panhead. It is too heavy to pack but very solid. I think its worth the time to try them out in store

As mentioned above, I enjoy these.

Robb

62903img0808.jpg

Another vote for the outdoorsmans. I run 15s and the BTX with the 85mm lens and it's as fluid as can be.

I was in the same situation. I have the Outdoorsmans setup but the pistol grip head will not hold my BTX without slipping. I went with this setup below so I could stand and glass. The Sirui head is awesome and holds my BTX rock solid even when tilted up and down. The tripod is very steady, reasonably light, and not overly large for taking on a backpack hunt. The package price is very reasonable as well. Cody Nelson at GoHunt set me up with it. A good resource to talk to if you want a second opinion on what setup to go with for your particular situation.

slik2_1024x1024.jpg

https://shop.gohunt.com/collections/optics/products/sirui-va-5-ultra-compact-fluid-head

Good luck on whatever setup you decide to go with...

Horniac

Fotopro tripods are great...I have three of them. One for photography and the other two for my spotter and my 15's

))))----------->

Is your Razor angled or straight? A few inches difference in height requirement while using in a standing situation. Many excellent options mentioned here, but it sounds as if your budget may be leaning towards the less expensive one. I certainly understand that as a budget conscious hunter myself. To put it as simply as I can, I just refuse to spend the amount of money that some of the options already mentioned here cost.
I did exactly what desperatehills suggested. I went to a few stores to try several different tripods with my 85mm angled Razor. I realize that field conditions can't be replicated inside a store but neither can trying on a jacket you intend to wear during a blizzard if you know what I mean.
After all the ?sampling? was done I was unable to honestly feel any significant difference between some of the more expensive options with what I eventually ended up buying. So I spent $150 on a Vortex Pro GT. It's not the lightest or most compact. However it has been plenty sturdy & steady during some very windy conditions in Colorado. It has served me well and didn't put a dent into my budget.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom