tripods for spotting scopes

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
i recently(yesterday) bought a leupold wind river 15-45x60 spotting scope for me and my dad as a christmas gift. i am also looking to buy a tripd and the tripod mounts if it does not come included does anybody know about this spotting scope or know of a good place to buy a tripod for this rig? i do not want one of those slik ones that are partially made out of plastic
casey

Casey,

I use the Bogen/Manfrotto Convertible Tripod Legs with the Bogen/Manfrotto Hand Grip Action Qk Release. I paid $99 for the tripod and $84 for the grip. I chose this tripod because it is relatively lightweight, 3 lbs. as opposed to 5 or so. I purchased all of my equipment from Eagle Optics, http://www.eagleoptics.com.

Darren

Casey, it depends on which slik tripod you buy, but the S2000 or U2000 I have is all aluminum and holds 15x56 well. There is a post on here giving Jim Whites name/number out, he makes a great tripod and swivel head for around 150.00, and also maybe look at tripods at eagle eye outdoors up here in Phoenix, just call Rick Long and tell him what you want, and he can help out..... Allen Taylor......

Like Bura recommends, stop by Eagle Eye Outdoors in Phoenix and try out some of the tripods he carries. Bring the pack you want to fit it in. You'll have to decide if you want to go really light (around 2 lbs) and not too stable. Medium weight (around 4 lbs total including head), or heavyweight (5 lbs or more). Rick has some choices in each category. I like the Slik 444 Sport II at about 4 lbs. I don't think Rick stocks this one, but it's a good mid-weight 4 lbs with all the nice features (Individual leg-angles, quick-release scope mounting, compact (19" folded) size. I've found it for about $110.

Firstcoues,
Another tripod to consider is the EFL-4 from Velbon. I picked one up recently to replace that unstable plastic one whose head vibrates in the wind and whose leg pivots break at the bolt. The EFL has metal leg brackets and the legs sprrrread out wide and have no brace to the center, so you can get your legs underneath easily when sitting and it adjusts to uneven ground easily. Mine came with a metal Velbon head for $129. It probably weighs 4-5 pounds, and is about 18" long, but its well worth the extra weight compared to the plastic cheapies. I've seen the White head, its real smooth to operate and relatively light. Pricey though, but you get what you pay for.
Red Rabbit

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom