Trout Creek rifle deer hunt

rtoreson

Hey All,

A friend of mine cashed in all his points and was able to secure a Trout Creek tag. I was hoping to get some current intel on this hunt for him. I have actually hunted the Beatty's Butte unit across the road but have never set foot in the Trout Creek unit. Pretty much a once in a lifetime tag and he's hoping to have fun. His expectations are tempered but is still hoping for a decent buck and a good experience.

Thx
Brian

Hey All,

A friend of mine cashed in all his points and was able to secure a Trout Creek tag. I was hoping to get some current intel on this hunt for him. I have actually hunted the Beatty's Butte unit across the road but have never set foot in the Trout Creek unit. Pretty much a once in a lifetime tag and he's hoping to have fun. His expectations are tempered but is still hoping for a decent buck and a good experience.

Thx
Brian
Pm sent

I don't see much sense in Pm's on a hunt that takes that many points.

I've hunted it several times and I took a really nice buck off the head of McDermitt creek about 15 years ago. as you know it's a shadow of the hunt it used to be , but by Oregon standards one of the better ones.

Use the skyline road and get up high the weather has been warm over here and the bucks are going to be high like usual. they'll be using the aspen a lot so early and late is when you'll see 90% of the deer. glassing can be pretty unproductive mid day if it's not cold enough to bring them out . but it's still worth trying .

There aren't a lot of legal hunters but there are quite a few guys with landowner tags hunting out of bounds. but you'll still have lighter hunter pressure than most units.

I don't see much sense in Pm's on a hunt that takes that many points.

I've hunted it several times and I took a really nice buck off the head of McDermitt creek about 15 years ago. as you know it's a shadow of the hunt it used to be , but by Oregon standards one of the better ones.

Use the skyline road and get up high the weather has been warm over here and the bucks are going to be high like usual. they'll be using the aspen a lot so early and late is when you'll see 90% of the deer. glassing can be pretty unproductive mid day if it's not cold enough to bring them out . but it's still worth trying .

There aren't a lot of legal hunters but there are quite a few guys with landowner tags hunting out of bounds. but you'll still have lighter hunter pressure than most units.
Thx Togwotee,
The info is much appreciated and I will relay it. I will post up a hunt recap and pics hopefully!

Thx for the input fellas. It sounds like the hunt went well. They saw lots of mediocre bucks and a few nice ones that got away. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to attend as I had a WY antelope trip the same week. They did end up harvesting a nice buck though.

2322F32E-9B52-40D8-A26A-D396374BBE45.jpeg

Congratulations how did the antelope hunt go ?
The WY antelope hunt was a blast. Fun family hunt. We saw a ton of animals but no monsters. We all harvested decent bucks though. I can’t wait to do it again. I posted some pics in the antelope forum.

Back
Top Bottom