Truck Down

huntjock

Apologies for typing in bursts. Sometimes I type like I speak. I don't really care about the grammar/punctuation police (you know who you are). Its the thought police I am concerned with these days. Oh well, it'll all be good after we've completed the newly required annual sensitivity (re)training - right?

Last week I took my 2 youngest on a fishing trip to Montana (from Central Utah). On our way, we'd dropped off my wife/their mom at my MIL's home in Idaho Falls to hang out with her mother and sister. Then, on to Montana. We camped where we did not have a cell signal. Kids did fine with that. Fishing was slow until Friday night when I couldn't fish due to my netting assignment. Perfect end to a tradition that goes back to 1962 when my dad first took me and my older brother to the Madison River.

Saturday morning we started our journey back to Utah. We were at the light at the intersection where you cross hwy 26 as you come into Ammon ID. After waiting at the red light, the light turns green, I start across the intersection and my daughter yells "DADDY!" and BOOM! According to the witness who was driving behind the other driver, the other driver didn't even attempt to stop, no brake lights, no swerve.

The other driver, a guy from India living in Denver had rented a car (Avis Rental/2020 Chrysler 300 w/ Texas plates) to go to Jackson Hole Wyoming and was on his way to the Idaho Falls airport to catch a flight back to Denver. He's lucky to be alive. And, so are we. I did the physics. 1/10 of a second difference would have put him 6 feet further back, 50 mph directly through me and my daughter.

So, my 2003 truck is in Idaho Falls. Still waiting to see if the insurance will "total" it or if if will be repairable. I couldn't open the hood to see where the coolant was leaking from; 3 of the doors wouldn't open; frame is torqued.

No rentals at all in IF - at least from Avis - so, we borrowed my bro-in-law's truck to bring our trailer the rest of the way home. Wife drove the truck back the next day and caught a ride home with a friend who happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Neck/headaches/back and shoulder are doing better with Phys Therapy.

Had to cancel our camping/fishing plans this week - too late to get a refund for our campsite reservations. Hopefully somebody enjoyed our spot, great campsite we go to every year up Fairview Cnyn.

BUT, we are grateful to be alive.

As DeerMadness says in his post, "Have a safe 4th!"

Wow, glad you folks are still around. Make sure everyone in your vehicle has a complete physical. Those tiny little aches/pains could morph into something more permanent, but wont show up immediately.
Did the cops say if the guy was drunk/texting/sleeping?

Wow, glad you folks are still around. Make sure everyone in your vehicle has a complete physical. Those tiny little aches/pains could morph into something more permanent, but wont show up immediately.
Did the cops say if the guy was drunk/texting/sleeping?

Yeah, its hard not to replay this over and over again and wonder how there were no fatalities.

The PT offered to make a "house call" to check on my 2 kids and tweak their necks/backs as he sees fit - for the very reason you stated. The way I feel right now - pretty darn good all things considered.

The policemen (Idaho State Patrol and local) did not say whether the other driver was texting or sleeping. I know he wasn't drunk - I talked to him for quite a while. I wanted him to know that these things do happen and to reassure him that our lives are the most important. Hopefully, he has time to digest things and learn some important lessons from it. We did. I've always stressed a few things to my family: 1) SAFETY is #1 (belts, no distractions, etc), 2) trucks and SUVs will help you to have a better chance at surviving a collision, 3) Pray - before and after.

After we got on the road again (next morning), I asked my kids what they'd learned. They mentioned all 3 items above.

Incidentally, my son had said our prayer before we left Montana that morning. He prayed that we be watched over and protected. He paused, then asked that those around us be watched over and protected, too. I won't expound on that any further other than I do know that prayer will never be forgotten.

Thanks for your response and concern.

That would be a life changing event for just about anybody. Count your blessings and learn what you can from it. I hope other people will learn too. Defensive driving is so important.

I have never sued any body , but I think the going rate for soft tissue damage is 2 for 1.

For every dollar you spend on therapy, you will receive 2 dollars. After your lawyer takes 30 %. Plus you will get the cost of your equipment outside of that.

One of the first thing the lawyer will do is hand you the card of “his” recommended physical therapist/ chiropractor.

Dang....glad you guys are okay....I’d be really surprised with the damage you described that a 2003 won’t be a total loss....

And.....you don’t need any punctuation lessons...well done

Glad everyone made it out safely. I gotta agree a 2003 is most likely totaled given the damage described. If it’s not I’d almost push for it to be.

Glad everyone made it out safely. I gotta agree a 2003 is most likely totaled given the damage described. If it’s not I’d almost push for it to be.

"Totaling" it is kinda worrisome, since 1) I won't be able to find another truck as well kept as mine (my one and only truck ever) - original owner, 158K miles, 100% garaged, 8 brand new injectors, and 2) it doesn't make sense to jump into a newer, more expensive truck at this point in my life - for health reasons I don't really care to expound on right now. <- So I don't jinx myself.

Some things are just out of your control.

If you put pics on here we could give you a pretty good idea if they will total it
I have towing company, see this all the time
50 mph, 2003 truck
I would say 99.5 % chance it is. Might be worth buying back, if it’s an early 03 with 7.3
But probably not
Just my opinion

In all my scramblings I barely got a pic from behind my truck on the tow truck as it was pulling away. Its an early 03 F350 w/ 6.0

My daughter got a pic of the other guy's car.

The last pic on my phone before the accident is attached (I think)

IMG_4071.jpeg

I'm the original owner of a 2003 Tacoma with 107K miles. It feels like family. It's never been abused except when driving the Mormon 500. Those drivers have no respect. ? Right Bobcat?

Wow man, how quickly our lives can be drastically changed. Prayer does work, glad you are all alive.

For what it's worth, when a light turns green it's been a habit of mine to look both ways as I start moving for this very reason.

You sure got lucky with the placement of the crash, Glad everyonr got out of it with just a few aches and pains.
Keep a open mind of the fact it was a rental car. They should be ones that replaces your truck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom