Truck Tire Chains

You should have enough clearance. Chains don’t need too much clearance at low speeds. If you are planning to drive on the highway you may have issues if they loosen up at 45 mph and you have tight clearance.

I would go on one of the Ram truck forums and do a search on chains. I did that a couple years ago and ended up disappointed in what I read. If I remember right, unless you put on wheel spacers you are going to have clearance issues.

I’m not trying to be a smartazz, but why do you need chains?

In my opinion a good 4wd with good tires will go just about anywhere you need to. If that won’t take you there you should think twice anyway.

There are exceptions of course, like a trip to the az strip (the last time I used chains, around 1980). Or if your job requires you to be out in the slop every day like an outfitter or logger.

I carried a set with me until about 10 years ago. Never used them. Lucky or lazy I guess.

I decided to take chains to Colorado this year, I have not put them on a vehicle in 20 years, but when you need them they sure preform. Maybe an automotive store or friend would let you try them on your front tires, it’s the only way to tell if they work

I need to buy some new chains have procrastinated because I was very disappointed with the quality I found the last time I looked (over a decade ago). I have not been able to find reinforced link chains build by a non-Chinese company anywhere. Brands like Weed appear to have dissolved in the exodus of business from the USA. Any recommendations for some quality chains?

I've heard good things about Pewag chains. They have a manufacturing plant in Pueblo now. Just a bit outside of my budget.

Yeah, Pewag are the best but you will need a lot of clearance. They are a square chain link and are much thicker than a normal chain link.

With trucks these days, you can prob only put them on the rear tires. They actually do more good on the front tires (weight and steering) but newer trucks don’t have clearance up front. If they do it for “S” style chains that have a thinner profile and therefore don’t do as much

Been going out wet to hunt last 10 years. This was the first year we needed the chains. Dug for about 4 hours and go no where. Put chains on the rear and drove right out. For Xmas I bought a set of traction mats and a hi lift jack. Wish I would have had the traction mats this past fall.

Will confess left the chains at camp and had to hitch 8 miles to get them. Leave the recovery gear in the truck.

There are a heck of a lot of old guys, sitting on good chains, put an add out in you area, most guys don’t u se them anymore.I was looking for mine this fall and realized I have six sets and mine look like logging chains

I Had This Guy Build Me a Set of These Chains with the 7MM V-Bars!

One More Cross Link than the 1st Set I Bought From a Local Parts Store!

Not Cheap But Worth Every Penny!

Oh And Made in the USA!

NOT F'N China!

This is why I drive an old 2001 F350 to hunt. Easy to put chains on and lots of clearance. I always carry 2 pairs. Almost always the front chains are enough. Bought all of mine at farm sales. Good old American-made stuff.

And in drifted Wyoming snow, you can't hardly move without chains. Sometimes it's only 8-10" deep but it is packed hard and you need chains to make it through.

And even with chains, make sure you get stuck going uphill. Getting stuck going downhill with chains is a major mistake. You might be coming back for your pickup in May or June.

Chains are an emergency tool to get you out. I have spent more days than most in the mountains and have only put chains on once. That is 20 plus years of 40-50 days at least in the woods. Never once have I needed or wanted chains to get myself into the woods.

As mentioned before. Get yourself a damn good set of off road and mud tires. I am talking STT PRO, Super Swampers, BFG KM2, etc. A good tire will take about anyplace you want to go.

Use the chains to get out, but never to get in.

Even now with my Ram 2500, it will go places that scare most. The only thing stopping it is when we start busting 4' drifts...

Oh and if you are worried about cost. Get a common size mud tire, run them the week you hunt, take them home and sell them for 3/4 what you bought them for... Trust me a good off road tire will do wonder.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom