Truck tires

Soccerdude

kinda hunting relating....

What are the toughest 10 ply tires in your opinion. I am tired of dealing with flats. Toyo open county AT right now.

kinda hunting relating....

What are the toughest 10 ply tires in your opinion. I am tired of dealing with flats. Toyo open county AT right now.
buy the best BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM3
none better Quite, great in all weather and mud and rock crawling
great mileage even if you don’t rotate, check air pressure etc etc like myself but still get close to 60k miles on them

joe

I have been running the Nitto trail grappler M/T 35 12:50 x 18 E rated. I have never had a flat. But I don’t off-road my truck like I used to. Mainly tow with it but it is in Fourwheel drive at least once a week. Need the M/T‘s for mud and snow. Use to run the BFG’s but now I just run them on my jeep. My F250 Diesel is a heavy truck.

Cooper had a little tread seperation issue a few years back. I didnt know of the recall until after one blew on I-80 with the trailer and ATV rack on. Ill never touch them again.

I run Corsa at on the work truck. 2 years of weekly trip to the dump, no flats.

Depends on how you use them and what they’re going on. I liked MT tires, ran Cooper and BFG but heavy towing with a diesel truck ate them alive so now I run Cooper ST maxx. On a lighter truck you’ll get 30-40k good miles on MT but on a diesel you’ll only get about 15-20k (good traction) miles.

buy the best BF Goodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM3
none better Quite, great in all weather and mud and rock crawling
great mileage even if you don’t rotate, check air pressure etc etc like myself but still get close to 60k miles on them

joe
im also looking at tires, how is the noise on these tires on the highway?

im also looking at tires, how is the noise on these tires on the highway?
That’s one of the best features, they are Quiet ever when the tread is worn down. They well cost you a little extra but you’ll be glad you spent it. In my 35 plus years of truck ownership there were times when I just couldn’t afford them so I had to go with the Brand-X that’s when you really appreciate them. I hope this helps
joe

Good thread. I'm close to needing new tires. Running BF goodrich all terrain now but thinking off going to Goodyear wrangler Duratrac. Anyone have these and do you like them.
Oh Brother, Don’t Buy Goodyear! Ive tried a few pair over the years their Crap! On a Couple of my new trucks they came stock I made the Dealer replace them with BF Goodrich to close the deal. If your wanting a better grip etc go with the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain
joe

What kind of truck? My 1 ton ate whatever m/t tires input on them in 30k. Best I ever had for that truck was cooper maxx. On my Jeep I’m running nitto ridge grapplers and they may be my all time favorite Tire but am sure a 1 ton would eat them up just like the rest. 1/2 ton truck or Jeep/Toyota I’d give them a serious look

I loved duratracs on my 1/2 ton, didn't like them on my 1 ton.

now on a 3/4 ton diesel I have really liked nitto ridgegrappler.

Nitto trail grabbers. The only time I have had a flat is when I picked up a screw driver on a country road when I was antelope hunting. I don't abuse my truck but do put it through its paces.

serious cool factor on the ridge grapplers too...

IMG_2017.JPEG

I like the Nitto Ridge Grapplers as well. Use to run BF Goodrich until I had two of them separate and destroy my truck bed. They had a recall on several years if tires I wasn't aware of.

Anyone run the BF Goodrich KO2s?
Down to either those or the KM3s for a tacoma.
Mostly highway miles but when it goes offroad I don't shy away from much.

Thanks for the feedback. I am driving z RAM 1500 ecodiesel. Just need a sturdy tire on rough gravel/graded roads. 2 flats in the last 2 weeks have slowed me down.

Cooper St Maxx on my Tacoma and Falken at3w on my 3/4. I would have went Falken on the taco but the size I wanted was unavailable.

Very happy with mine on a Tundra. ~45k then road noise got loud. At 50k, still had another 10+k, but ran over giant price of metal—had hazard from American Tire, replaced that one no cost and prorated others—so now have another new set at $600. Couldn’t be happier

I have had really good luck with Toyo's the Open Country AT II's and AT III's, they have been good tires for us on a F-350 SRW long bed. Do a pretty good amount of towing and they handle the lease roads just fine regardless of weather.

We run Duratracs on the 250 and Cooper's on my 150, no issues with either. The Coopers have over 50,000 miles and just now need new ones. Duratracs are a great snow tire for us.

I just bought a set of Toyo open country AT IIIs for my ram 3500, 4 door long bed.. They are a new design so not many reviews yet. Not many tires in my size, 285/75/18 in load range E. Wanted 1 size larger than factory, and to use factory wheels. The oem firestones had almost 28,000 miles on them and are shot, but i tow a fair amount. And the Toyos are U.S made.

I'm a huge fan of the GY Duratracs. On my second set on two different Ram 2500 and have been really impressed with them. Great traction and very little noise on the road.
2019-12-04 15.40.14.jpg

got 9 flats one year on duratracks. needless to say i didn't wait until the tred wore our to replace them.

Look at Mickey Thompson Deegan 38's. I have been very impressed with this tire. Wearing extremely well on lots of gravel travel here in NE Montana. Not overly agressive, but still capable. As you may know, MT is now owned by Cooper tires, but the tire, rubber compound is a MT designed tire with their compounds.

That’s one of the best features, they are Quiet ever when the tread is worn down. They well cost you a little extra but you’ll be glad you spent it. In my 35 plus years of truck ownership there were times when I just couldn’t afford them so I had to go with the Brand-X that’s when you really appreciate them. I hope this helps
joe
thanks, good to know! is this on a heavy diesel or light duty?

Cooper ST MAXX here too on my F150 and all it does is pull a camper and flatbed on mostly gravel mountain roads! I replace them every 35,000 miles and sell them on Craigslist for $300 because I never will wear out tires.

Good thread. I'm close to needing new tires. Running BF goodrich all terrain now but thinking off going to Goodyear wrangler Duratrac. Anyone have these and do you like them.
Wranglers are the worst tires I've ever had. I haven't had the Duratrac but lots of other wranglers. I won't ever buy goodyears again.

This thread is good timing. I'm buying a set of tires next week for my Tahoe and a set for my motorhome

This thread is good timing. I'm buying a set of tires next week for my Tahoe and a set for my motorhome
Just put a set of AT3's on the wife's Yukon last spring. Another set on the kids Grand Cherokee. Siped of course. Would have gone STMaxx like on my truck, but just too much tire for light rigs. mtmuley

I don't have any specific experience with the Duratrac because I haven't run Goodyears in over 20 years. If I had, I would have needed 20 sets. Because they are aptly named. Goodyears are good for a year!

thanks, good to know! is this on a heavy diesel or light duty?
Mine is a Sierra 1500. As far as the heavier trucks they are 10 ply tires that can run 70 psi if my memory serves me right. I’m getting ready to have the rust some body damage with a new color paint job, lift kit, tires and wheels on my 2006 GMC Sierra 1500. I’m not paying $30k plus for a 2015-17 with close to 100k miles. Mine has 214k miles on it, I traded work for the body work and paint job so if the motor blows I‘ll spend $3-4K and install a new one everything else works as it should. I’ll post pictures before and after if I remember too

joe

I ran KO2's on my f350. Before I sold it I was sitting at about 45k miles and still had about 25-30% life left. Thats highway dirt mud roads gravel you name it.

I have no idea how so many of you guys get so many miles out of tires.......I'm alot closer to coloradoman's milage......maybe once in a long while I'll get a little over 30k.....

I have no idea how so many of you guys get so many miles out of tires.......I'm alot closer to coloradoman's milage......maybe once in a long while I'll get a little over 30k.....
Besides, treadwear is last on the list of what a truck tire needs to do. mtmuley

Goodyear wrangler duratracs. I would say around 30k miles. I have them on my diesel. My diesel loves to eat back tires especially with a heavy load.

I use to work for a company and my boss put duratracs on every work truck for the oil feild. Thanks to him he got me addicted to them

Yes.....torqy diesel are hard on rear tires with heavy loads....I try to get my employees to use 4 high on dirt roads.....it helps alot on rear wheel slip at take off....

I like the falcons but this is what they do on the rear pulling 13,000 pounds all day on gravel and dirt....

00B9816D-EBD3-4587-BD11-33352B04F33C.jpeg
95E0DB87-9FC5-4E7D-A1FC-1C381E5ED242.jpeg

We found the worst thing for tires was lots of miles on hot aspault then several more miles on dirt roads.

I put 230,000 miles on cummins and had zero flats. On average we got 20 to 25 thousand miles on a set of tires but the abuse rate was very high kinda like what homer above is saying.

Put maybe 10-12 thousand on a durmax and had 2 flats with the duratracs. The rims got so worn out they cut into the tire.

To many opinions on best tire. I just came a duratrac lover cause i put them through all sorts of abuse. I like how the side walls work through snow and ice.

Im just not willing to try something new since i have something that meets all my needs

When I was a log cutter, I’d go through a set about every 3 months. I tried them all but 20- 25k was about the best that I could get. Gravel roads and heavy trucks are hard on tires. BFG’s seem to be the worst when it came to longevity. The KM2’s were great traction tires though. I’m at the point now that when they get down to about 40 percent, I put new ones on and sale the old ones on marketplace.

Homer, Are you recording the mileage down correctly when you put them on and took them off? I say the same as you when it comes to gas mileage on trucks everyone else’s gets 16 in the city and 20 on the highway! Mine gets 13 in the city and 16 on the highway. But when it comes to the tires they are as we say. I have only rotated tires maybe twice never checking air pressure their always have some small leak here and there from working on construction jobs and the ball joints need to be replaced on my truck, when I let go of the steering wheel it pulls hard to the ditch on the right of the road. I haven’t fixed it because I was waiting to see if I would lift my truck or not and I didn’t want to spend money for ball joints if the lift kit replaced them for me. Homer are yours the MT’s or AT’s?
joe

Well Homer!

That Makes No F'N Sense!

A Guy Posted above He Has 40,000 on His Tires and they are Still Like Brand New!:D

BF Goodrich are made by the best Michelin. Mrs Sikora‘s 02 envoy xl slt that I bought her in May 02 had the Michelin LX 245/65/17 tires. I had them replaced with almost 80,000 miles on them at the dealership, I couldn’t believe it, I kept asking the guys how is that possible their response was I had taken great care of her car by bringIng it to the dealership for all her maintenance needs. Who Knows!

This is a load.....34k...and yes, when you forget to plug the trailer in you know it at the first stop sign....
20BB0299-93F8-4DBE-9C77-5DB49BD2E401.png

Yes.....torqy diesel are hard on rear tires with heavy loads....I try to get my employees to use 4 high on dirt roads.....it helps alot on rear wheel slip at take off....

I like the falcons but this is what they do on the rear pulling 13,000 pounds all day on gravel and dirt....

View attachment 11525View attachment 11526
Homer, that’s what you call your employees tearing your Sh$t Up! That’s not wear thats F’N Tearing Up! How many miles are on those tires it doesn’t look like much go to the dealer where you purchased them and see what they say. Those Lugs are RIPPED OFF! My best friend “other than Bessy” is The Red Head! Horrible Harlen Mayes Jr AKA My Uncle Bubby! He is Tandem Driver Extraordinaire! Ill send him those pictures and he’ll tell you exactly why that’s happening wether it faulty tires, truck problems or employee. I’ll let you know tomorrow if he’s not gone on VaCa
joe

This is a load.....34k...and yes, when you forget to plug the trailer in you know it at the first stop sign....View attachment 11539
Hi Homer is that what your hauling what does that thing weigh? Holy Moly!
Homer, that’s what you call your employees tearing your Sh$t Up! That’s not wear thats F’N Tearing Up! How many miles are on those tires it doesn’t look like much go to the dealer where you purchased them and see what they say. Those Lugs are RIPPED OFF! My best friend “other than Bessy” is The Red Head! Horrible Harlen Mayes Jr AKA My Uncle Bubby! He is Tandem Driver Extraordinaire! Ill send him those pictures and he’ll tell you exactly why that’s happening wether it faulty tires, truck problems or employee. I’ll let you know tomorrow if he’s not gone on VaCa
joe
Sorry!
Everything I said above disregard! So Homer your pulling 17 Tons of machinery with a HD 2500 that its max towing weight is 13k lbs 6.5 tons. I think I found the problem! LOL! Not sure what this has to do with what we were talking about but ?! ?

Well I lied. Two days after I said I would never buy Goodyears ago and I went and bought five of them today from Tire rack.

I couldn't pass up the deal. Wrangler A/T adventure with kevlar. They were on close out for $99.61 each, free shipping, buy four tires and get $100 visa gift card back. So counting the gift card I got a set of four tires for $300, I then went back and bought another one for a matching spare. I figure these tires probably suck so it wouldn't hurt to get another for when I blow one out. :LOL:

If I get 25,000 miles I'll be happy.

Hi Homer is that what your hauling what does that thing weigh? Holy Moly!

Sorry!
Everything I said above disregard! So Homer your pulling 17 Tons of machinery with a HD 2500 that its max towing weight is 13k lbs 6.5 tons. I think I found the problem! LOL! Not sure what this has to do with what we were talking about but ?! ?
That’s not the truck with the tire problem.....

Well I lied. Two days after I said I would never buy Goodyears ago and I went and bought five of them today from Tire rack.

I couldn't pass up the deal. Wrangler A/T adventure with kevlar. They were on close out for $99.61 each, free shipping, buy four tires and get $100 visa gift card back. So counting the gift card I got a set of four tires for $300, I then went back and bought another one for a matching spare. I figure these tires probably suck so it wouldn't hurt to get another for when I blow one out. :LOL:

If I get 25,000 miles I'll be happy.
Hard to pass on a good deal like that!

joe

Hey homer what size of boggers you run on those terragators? Particularly the ones with the massive fat tires?

Would hate to see the cost on one

PACKAGE BUILDER

VEHICLE: 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT Crew Cab Pickup 4WD

STEP 1 - COMPLETE!TIS 547RM Wheels
DETAILSSWITCH WHEELS
STEP 2 - COMPLETE!BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM3 Tires
DETAILSSWITCH TIRES
TIS 547RM
TIS 547RM Wheel

Part Num : 547RTM-2128344Size : 20x12Bolt : 6x5.5Offset : -44Backspace : 4.77Load : 2500Hub Size : 106.20
TIS Logo

Qty : 4 Included With Package
match-base.png
May Require Modifications

STEP 3Review Package and Add to Cart
NEED TPMS? SAVE 50%!Normally priced at $160. Now Only $20 each!
Our system shows your vehicle is equipped with TPMS sensors.

YES! ADD ALLIGATOR TPMS SENSORS FOR 50% OFF!
If you don't want TPMS sensors added, please select one of the options below.
NO THANK YOU, I WANT MY PACKAGE MOUNTED & BALANCED WITHOUT ADDING TPMS SENSORS. I AM USING THE PACKAGE FOR OFFROAD AND/OR SHOW USE ONLY.NO THANK YOU, DO NOT MOUNT/BALANCE MY WHEEL/TIRE PACKAGE.
QtyPart NumberDescription
checkbox_checked.gif
4547RTM-2128344TIS 547RM 20x12 6x5.5 -44
checkbox_checked.gif
401047.2BFGoodrich Mud Terrain T/A KM3 37x13.50R20
checkbox_checked.gif
1LugsSpline Chrome Lug Kit Upgrade to Black Lugs for just $28.00
0Add a Spare?Spare Wheel & Tire Set
0TPMSTire Pressure Sensor ( TPMS ) 50% OFF w/Package! Now Only $20 ea.!
checkbox_checked.gif
4Mount/BalanceProfessional Mounting and Balancing
Package Sub Total $3,853.84
FREE Freight$0.00
PACKAGE SALE!- $308.31
Package Total$3,545.53

I’m hoping to get this package for $3,100 if they will do some dickering. I’ll let you know how it goes!

joe

It looks like you should be able to beat them down a little on the lug nutz. A $28 upcharge to go from chrome to black is a dealbreaker for me.

I've tried most of those tires and through the last few sets, I have had really good luck with Kenda Klever tires. They have the stoutest sidewalls of any tire I have ever driven. Good traction, too. the rubber seems "harder" than the BF Goodrich/Goodyear/Cooper tires. They only make it 30,000 miles at max, but a lot of those miles are off road and in steep country that';s loaded with rocks and brush. In the 90's, I kept track and had 28 flats in one year. (ATV's, pickup, tractors, etc included)

Lots of the flats I used to get were from sharp rocks or even from driving over mahogany and having the stumps/stubs penetrate the sidewall of the tires. I've never had that with a Kenda Tire. They are a little noisy, but they hold up and I hate wrecking a tire.

Love the Coopers on my Jeep. I'm on my 3rd set and never had a flat. I'm probably 75% offroad and 25% road.

I'm a Toyo fan 1st set were open country AT, wanted something more aggressive so I went with MT's, didn't get the best mileage so I'm running the RT's I'v got 25000 miles on them and they look almost new.

The best tire i've ever owned was the Dick Cepek Fun Country AT. Ran on the same pair for 6 years without a flat. Had 1 valve stem issue right before i got rid of them. Was still tread left when i got rid of them but a front end issue caused un even wear and was time to get new ones. Trying a different brand / set this time around but hands down the best tire i've ever owned.

Hey Gator, what size and type shells do you use Parrot Hunting? I seen BP Shells has some good prices

Joe

The best tire i've ever owned was the Dick Cepek Fun Country AT. Ran on the same pair for 6 years without a flat. Had 1 valve stem issue right before i got rid of them. Was still tread left when i got rid of them but a front end issue caused un even wear and was time to get new ones. Trying a different brand / set this time around but hands down the best tire i've ever owned.
why would you buy something else??

I'm a Toyo fan 1st set were open country AT, wanted something more aggressive so I went with MT's, didn't get the best mileage so I'm running the RT's I'v got 25000 miles on them and they look almost new.
I just got into my second set of Toyo RT's on my GMC Duramax. I got 40,000 miles out of them. They wore great and performed great as well.

Got the Toyo At ‘s on the 06’ Tundra currently. Ran the M/T’s from 2012 to 2018. Say the A/T’s wear better.....

Will buy coopers next.. local tire guy is the best in the business for customer service quality!!

3-R’s tires in Malad, Idaho. You wanna see some old school get sh** done... go there. It will blow your mind!!

I'm currently running KM3's and as others have said it's a great MT tire. Definitely the plushest ride of any MT tire I've ever been on. Aired down to 32 in the back and 34 in the front they ride incredible on and off road. Not sure how long they will last, but seem to be pretty good so far after 12,500 miles or so.

I have the ST Maxx's on my old truck and they are super durable, but the roughest riding sob's next to the Cooper STT Pro MT's I had on there before that. They do last forever though and might be a good choice for a 3/4 or 1 ton.

The KM3's are way quieter and as I said have the best ride I've ever had in a true MT tire.

Just my $0.02

Cheers, Pete

crawling morrison jeep trail.jpg

Yes, the Cooper STT Pro ride hard but that shows the strength of the sidewalls. Just what I want offroad.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom