Truckless Trailers

desperatehills

Very Active Member
A friend drew the unit 23 moose tag so we decided to make the 12 hour drive and spend a week scouting. We spent most of our time scouting the greys river drainage. I was amazed at how many empty camps were set up. I bet there were 50 trailers spread throughout the valley with no trucks around. Is this normal? Does the forest service enforce the 14 day camping rule? There were plenty of places left to camp. Was it that way because of 4th of July weekend? I could only imagine what it gets like in hunting season

yep the places on the mountains fill weeks before the season, lot of times people go up scouting and stay in those trailers overnight that beats the 14 day limit I guess.

That’s the new normal. Forest service doesn’t do a very good job of policing the 14 day rule. It’s only going to get worse as hunting season gets closer?

People will tow the trailers and get spot then come for the weekends.

The bighorns mountains are horrible. People will take trailers up and park. Then every 14 days they will trade a spot with a buddy and that way come hunting season they have a spot. That will play that game all summer. They bring their wives so while the campers trade spots a few spots/yards/miles apart the wife will whip in into the camper arrives

some people go as far as leaving a camper year round buried in the snow just to save that special spot

I scouted a little later in July when I was there 2 years ago. I think I saw 15 or 20 at the most. I came in from the north end and I did scout quite a few drainages - down to about north crow creek or thereabouts then turning around. I know there are always quite a few squatters toward the south end.

As much as the trailers, having an airplane come right over the top of me a couple times was just as disconcerting.

PM sent re: Unit 23 Moose

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom