TRW joint committee to take up preference to bonus point issue

In other words, Utah uses a bonus/random system for all Sheep hunts. No preference at all for top point holders and rare that anyone with more than 20 points ever even draws a OIL tag. A few years ago a greenhorn drew with ZERO points and last year one applicant only had 4 points drew a Desert sheep. It’s not a preference AT ALL given to top point holders. Wyomings system isn’t broke, why change what has worked.
For all non-resident sheep tags it is a bonus system because there is never more than one, each point gives you one more chance in the draw. For residents, it is 50/50 preference and bonus. Odds are definitely better the more points you have, that is not debatable. I don't even know what we are talking about but it is definitely not random for any sheep tag in Utah.

For all non-resident sheep tags it is a bonus system because there is never more than one, each point gives you one more chance in the draw. For residents, it is 50/50 preference and bonus. Odds are definitely better the more points you have, that is not debatable. I don't even know what we are talking about but it is definitely not random for any sheep tag in Utah.
Now you are getting it, unlike earlier posts, Utah is certainly NOT a preference point state for NR sheep and many other OIL Hunts.

It currently goes to PP. I should've known you didn't know that based on your ideas.
Actually I DO know it currently goes to PP. But this discussion is about changes. Not about current.

All I'm saying is if they are making changes and it goes 50/50 the wording could also be changed.
Not sure why you have to be such a _ _ _ _ about this.

So for those in the know.
What exactly triggered this change at the legislative level?

I don't see the current system being an issue with residents.

Also need to change the NR sheep tag fee to $10,000-$20,000 per tag. Let’s weed out some demand. Do the same for moose too. Maybe more.

Preference points are fine for hunts that roll over points pool in some reasonable period of time. Wyoming nonresident moose and sheep was in that status when you had to write a check for the whole amount and apply, before the cheap point. The field was flooded. Then the price of a point went up, but people stayed. Now all those lured in by the once cheap but now expensive point realize that they probably won't have a realistic chance at a tag unless they outlive those ahead of them. Draw systems and tag allocations can and will change. There is no assurance of anything with a point purchase.

Correct, the people wanting all these changes like to run their soup coolers about how to do it, but they aren't the ones that will be trying to explain it to the TRW or Commission. Both of which don't even really understand the current system, let along asking them to make meaningful change.

But, 50/50 random/preference is without a doubt the easiest way to move forward. Squared bonus, cubed, all just noise.
If I had a vote, this would be the one.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom