Trying to understand draw odds...1st choice vs 2nd

westman

I am probably having a dumba$$ moment but I am confused when reading the Game and Fish draw odds on the website.

Region A
The issue: I have 6 points that I do not want to use. Two others in the party have zero. They are new to out of state hunting.
In the 90's I hunted region A for quite a few years and think it would be a good place to take them.
It looks like special tags will be needed. What I cant figure out is if I would draw as a second choice so I dont burn my points. I'm confused between the stats for random draw and pref point draw.

Would we draw if they applied as a party using special and I apply alone putting in for second choice special?

Any help in understanding this better would sure be appreciated. Thanks!

Bill

So, in region A it says that 184 tags were issued against a quota of 1190 in the NR special draw. I assume that means that a second choice applicant would be filled?
I am guessing that the non-special draw is a separate quota?

Just looked not sure why they don’t show any 2nd choice odds but I’d say with that many tags leftover after first choice draw even with 0 points you would get the tag second choice, looks like good odds in the random draw!!
Looks like still over 1000 tags left after the 0 point people!! In special as you mentioned.

Last edited:
The long answer to your question lies in how Wyoming splits the tags again after the initial drawing. The short answer to your question without getting into all the splits is that you can draw the region A license as a second choice in the special draw based on last years draw odds.

You only need to look at the random odds. Just remember 1st choice is active for the pref point side and then the random side so it's possible to draw your 1st choice in the random if there is a large tag quota.

Random odds report ->

Quota minus 1st choice apps = remaining tags for 2nd choice

WY-2014-2ND choice odds.jpg

Another strategy which seems quite good odds is you put in separately using the Special Draw to try and get the region A tag using 2nd choice and not burn your preference points. They put in as a party just using the normal draw as the odds are quite good they will draw. Then you make them pay for all the food, beer and gas with all the money you saved them. LOL.

Last edited:
Another strategy which seems quite good odds is you put in separately using the Special Draw to try and get the region A tag using 2nd choice and not burn your preference points. They put in as a party just using the normal draw as the odds are quite good they will draw. Then you make them pay for all the food, beer and gas with all the money you saved them. LOL.
This is what I would do, should save some money. Remember you have to choose a 1st choice, so it is possible you draw your first choice. Better choose one of the top tags in the state in case you get lucky. Would have to do this even if you go in as a group....

I think I have a better understanding now. I'll have to look at the draw odds and find a unit that I won't be able to draw in for my first choice.
Thanks again for the help.

Bill

Bill are you asking about region A deer? Are you looking at the 2020 draw odds? If so, the way I see it is if your friends put in for the special non resident tag they will draw. If you put in for the special non-resident draw as a second choice you will draw.

Doesn’t have to special with 0 points to draw. 1155 NR applied in the regular draw for 940 tags. But if you want to be sure they will draw then special is the only option.

There is a lot of private in this unit but there are some public spots that hold a lot of deer. It has changed a lot over the years. I first hunted it on private paying a trespass fee in 1990. There were a ton of deer and much less pressure than these days. We did a lot of looking and found a couple public spots and hunted it for the next ten years. Nothing huge, our best is a 158 whitetail. Most are just average but its a fun hunt and great times with friends. Time to get back to this country. Will be interesting.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom